Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 05:23 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
But state prisoners don't get to swim, climb, canoe, go on hikes, do obstacle courses, zip lines, archery, rifles, crafts, etc. Seriously? Are you really comparing camp to jail? The fact that it makes a PARENT anxious when their child doesn't have access to a cell phone while in a safe and secure environment is, to me, a trifle helicopter-y.

But then again, my kids weren't allowed cell phones until high school.
LMAO Nice cherry picking of my post. It was a tongue in cheek statement.

The fact that a PARENT worries a bit, but still understands and follows the rules, is NORMAL. My kids are younger than high school age and both have cell phones because they walk to and from school/bus stop. The oldest specifically needs it because he walks to and from a gazillion practices every week and for when he goes to his friends' houses or hangs out with them somewhere. But call me all the names you'd like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
When I was away at UTMSI for a summer session and my black cat was staying with Mom.......I sent her a postcard (the cat, not Mom).

T'was a while back, in the last century. Mom I called from the pay phone, using my AT&T credit card.
Why in my day, we didn't even have phones!

Old 07-26-2017, 06:37 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times
Great thread ,I went to camp as a kid as did my kids but I am curious ,how long is this camp for ...1 wk or two or a month?I ask becuase when my kids went it was for a sports camp and they lasted a week to two weeks but as a kid I went to camp for neight weeks and loved it,my parents would call me becuase I didn't call them or write so I am curious about what type of camps we are talking about.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:02 AM

835 posts, read 475,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
So are the camps in the Adirondacks. Every so often you hear about some idiot hikers trying to use GPS in the High Peaks rather than a traditional map and compass.
Lol...There are plenty of GPS systems that don't require cellular signal and can be used anywhere.

Satellite phones can be used anywhere as well.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:06 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
My daughter went to a canoeing camp in northern Ontario for many years. No cell phones were allowed and I'm pretty sure there wasn't any service anyway. We didn't hear from her from the point that she left the Toronto airport to catch a bus until the time she returned to the airport. We all survived! She is now in college and hasn't been to camp in two years and she is the least phone-attached 20 year old that I have ever seen!

Old 07-26-2017, 12:57 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
LMAO Nice cherry picking of my post. It was a tongue in cheek statement.

The fact that a PARENT worries a bit, but still understands and follows the rules, is NORMAL. My kids are younger than high school age and both have cell phones because they walk to and from school/bus stop. The oldest specifically needs it because he walks to and from a gazillion practices every week and for when he goes to his friends' houses or hangs out with them somewhere. But call me all the names you'd like.
So... if they need to call you, they can call from the camp office phone. Geez... how do you think past generations that didn't have cell phones survive summer camp without Mommy and Daddy???

Old 07-26-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
So... if they need to call you, they can call from the camp office phone. Geez... how do you think past generations that didn't have cell phones survive summer camp without Mommy and Daddy???
Actually, at this particular camp, they were not allowed to make phone calls. At all. Not from a cell, not from an office phone. And how do you think campers before the generation you allude to survived summer camp without landlines? Enough with the mommy and daddy business. Cell phones are a part of our lives now and even so, I don't object to that rule at all. Please re-read what I said.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:50 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times
Quote:
Actually, at this particular camp, they were not allowed to make phone calls. At all. Not from a cell, not from an office phone.
Yes, they would be allowed to use a phone in an emergency. But other then that, there is no reason for them to use one.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes, they would be allowed to use a phone in an emergency. But other then that, there is no reason for them to use one.
And "feeling homesick" is not an emergency.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Actually, at this particular camp, they were not allowed to make phone calls. At all. Not from a cell, not from an office phone. And how do you think campers before the generation you allude to survived summer camp without landlines? Enough with the mommy and daddy business. Cell phones are a part of our lives now and even so, I don't object to that rule at all. Please re-read what I said.
I did read what you wrote.

When was at summer camp 30 years ago I wasn't calling my parents for anything that wasn't a dire emergency, which "home sickness" is not. So... from the time they dropped me off to the time they picked me up to go home, there was no communication. Same with my brothers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education