Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2017, 07:03 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4881 View Post
You do realize all degrees have the same requirements the first two years? Any graduate you get shares the same foundation. You know all those teachers from K-12 mostly got liberal arts college degrees?
A liberal arts degree from East Tennessee State and from the University of Chicago have the same requirements? Really?

Old 10-29-2017, 07:03 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I suppose we all should ignore BLS and other legitimate sources of data, and instead believe some random YouTube mavens & their rants.
I think it is interesting that many of those who are anti-college have posted YouTube videos as evidence rather than a credible source or to posit their own well structured arguments.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Realistically, only 5-10% of the population should need to go to college. Everyone else can skip the debt.

A college degree does not make a person smart (don't put the cart before the horse). All it proves is that a person paid for college and sat through 4 years of classes which amounted to high school material 30 years ago.

We need to make school at all levels more difficult. The trend of making things easier has only served to dumb down the quality of our education systems and has made our population mentally lazy. As it stands today a college degree might actually be a negative in the eyes of many employers (who knows what lies and fallacies that kid was taught)
The bolded is so untrue as to be laughable.

The notion that high schools taught the equivalent of college degrees 30 years ago is simply disproven by the sheer number of AP classes and exams today. Most students 30 years ago graduated with two general science classes and maybe a calculus class. Many students today leave with multivariable calc, a bunch of AP classes and so on.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Meh.

I know what I see. And I see a lot of college graduates - even those who've found jobs in their fields - struggling to even put food on the table. What's the point? Why spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to be steeped in loans and making a pittance?
This is where the college education matters.

Anecdotes don’t matter compared to statistics. Even compared to their peers in the trades the average college student will make more money within 3 years of graduating and will have less than $30k in debt. And let’s be clear, someone in the trades, a plumber for example, may make as much or more once they are a master plumber but that takes years of apprenticeship where they will also be making a “pittance”

Links have already been provided.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
The real purpose of grad school (at least in STEM fields) is to produce cheap, compliant research assistants to do the work that the professors are getting all of the money and glory for.
Your opinion is not fact. That was not my graduate experience, nor was it like that for my own kids. Please do not pretend your opinion is fact.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
You do realize all degrees have the same requirements the first two years? Any graduate you get shares the same foundation. You know all those teachers from K-12 mostly got liberal arts college degrees?
This is also not true. I don’t know a single STEM teacher with a liberal arts degree. We all have degrees in our fields. Maybe it’s true in kindergarten to middle schools but definitely not true in high school.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:07 PM

74 posts, read 129,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
A liberal arts degree from East Tennessee State and from the University of Chicago have the same requirements? Really?
Freshman and Sophomore years are generally the same all around. In the UK it's called a "foundation degree" and in America it's called an "Associates Degree ". Both degrees are transferable to those universities and are given the undergraduate requirements for lower division credits.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:26 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
All degrees do not have the same requirements for the first two years.

However, depending on the major, there are the same core requirements everyone has, and there are major requirements, then electives.

B

Old 10-29-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
This is also not true. I don’t know a single STEM teacher with a liberal arts degree. We all have degrees in our fields. Maybe it’s true in kindergarten to middle schools but definitely not true in high school.
Aren't most classes in high school liberal arts? I would think the majority aren't STEM classes. You know most of the administrators and counselors are probably liberal arts degree holders.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
All degrees do not have the same requirements for the first two years.

However, depending on the major, there are the same core requirements everyone has, and there are major requirements, then electives.

B
Every degree does require certain classes that are the same for all in the first two years. College level English is required by all degree holders the first year. You do realize this is why students transfer from one college to another and get their classes recognized by both as long as those classes are regionally accredited?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education