Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 10:07 PM

10,761 posts, read 5,676,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
LOL yeah well while the transistor cannot tell the difference, you're bank account will.

I got the profession, pays a heck of a lot more than the trade.
Because the profession is fundamentally different than the trade. The two aren’t remotely similar.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:08 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
After all these pages I think we can conclude there are basically two schools of thought.

a. One view (which I subscribe to) it that college is a valuable education, but isn't for everyone. Some/many would be better served by learning a trade and others are better served by going to college. I think our schools should do a better job of tracking kids toward the most appropriate before they spend money on the wrong path.

b. The other view is essentially that college is a (take your pick) commie plot/government interference/business indoctrination meaning it's a waste of time and money.

Neither view will concede to the other.
No, everyone does not need college

And, many college degrees (not all) are worthless

Old 10-26-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Well said.

What the hell is a "conservative" college anyway??
I went to college for over 10 years, got a few degrees and have no idea what political leanings my professors were. Now there was a political science major where I'm sure they discussed ideologies but I'm pretty sure my chemistry classes were neither liberal nor conservative
10 years would be a bachelors, masters, and PhD. Is that what you have? Do you really not know know the political ideologies of your professors?

Old 10-26-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
<SNIP>

While I want my children to go to college because it will give them opportunities that I didn't have, I also realize that there are thousands of really good jobs out there that don't require a college degree at all. This doesn't even take into account the jobs that do require a college degree but really shouldn't. I've seen entry-level data entry positions that were asking for a Bachelor's degree as a minimum qualification and paid less than what you could make painting houses. That's slightly ridiculous.

<SNIP>
Do you really believe that those making the hiring decisions are stupid?

Old 10-26-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Actually, I have personal experience with just this question.

You see, my daughter doubled majored in studio art AND anthropology. I'm sure you think studio art is a useless liberal arts major too. Her courses taught her lots of useful job skills: how to write, how to solve problems, how to do research, how to work with other people, how to write a budget proposal, how to understand different perspectives.

She has done just fine for herself after college. She landed a job right after she graduated in marketing. Ten years later, she's a Director of Marketing pulling in over $100K.

Or, I could tell you about my son who majored in sociology. He's also making over $100K, but he's only been out of college for six years.

I could also tell you about many of my former students who attended liberal arts and science colleges (and yes, the liberal arts DO include sciences) who are all doing equally well. They've become doctors, lawyers, bankers, business managers, and, yes, even a few college professors.

But, in a sense, you're right. Their degree didn't get them a job.

The truth is NO college or degree guarantees anyone a job. YOU get you a job and then you work your butt off to be good at it.
If one wanted to get a job as a Director of Marketing, would you recommend that they major in Studio Art and Anthropology?

The issue isnt whether liberal arts majors can get good jobs - they can. The issue is whether a traditional liberal arts education is the best pathway to those good jobs.

For every person that majored on liberal arts that ended up as a Director of Marketing, I can show you 100 that ended up working at Starbucks as a barista.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I couldn't disagree more.
So, in your opinion, what is the best way to achieve the described goal?

Old 10-27-2017, 12:21 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
If one wanted to get a job as a Director of Marketing, would you recommend that they major in Studio Art and Anthropology?

The issue isnt whether liberal arts majors can get good jobs - they can. The issue is whether a traditional liberal arts education is the best pathway to those good jobs.

For every person that majored on liberal arts that ended up as a Director of Marketing, I can show you 100 that ended up working at Starbucks as a barista.
Absolutely. Why not? The earning difference between vocational majors and liberal arts majors pretty much disappears further into career.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/good-new...ver-1473645902

Old 10-27-2017, 01:51 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
No, but they have limited time and resources to read resumes and interview people, and a college degree from a halfway decent school is a reasonable screening device.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:26 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Quote:
Stupid, no. Lazy and/or pressed for time, yes.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:27 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,072,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
And, many college degrees (not all) are worthless
Perhaps what you meant to say is that there are subjects (and hence degree programs) that you personally do not have an aptitude for or interest in. Those who do have such aptitude and interest would certainly have a different story to tell. Keep in mind that the only good job is one that you enjoy doing, and that in the long run, happy subsistence will trump troubled wealth every single time. Attempts to monetize every aspect of your life are apt to lead only to psychosis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education