Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2017, 08:24 PM

57 posts, read 48,870 times

Advertisements

There would be less anti-college sentiment if colleges weren't required to teach phony white male guilt classes where white people, men, and white men of poorer backgrounds are told that they are inherently privileged vs. Lebron James. College tuition forces the poor to mortgage their future so the admin's rich boy son can get the new tennis court built on campus and he can sit his snobby pampered buttocks upon fine leather seating in front of a pure mahogany desk costing 5 figures. From there he sells out his students to ultra-high profit textbook companies all run by inheritors of Long Island or Cape Cod manors from where they commute to their offices in Manhattan or wherever. Students are required to take more and more gen ed. courses and as a new innovation you now have to take propaganda classes to be indoctrinated in a socially ultra-leftist worldview in many public colleges.

When liberals say that college should be about experience and becoming a better person through education - not just about getting a job that requires a degree - they're forgetting that if you want to have a good college experience you need to be rich enough to attend a college where advertisements aren't blaring in the student union. This often involves being born in a rich and functional family. On top of that you have to be rich enough to afford decent food instead of living off junk that won't provide enough nutrition to keep your brain running enough to pass your classes, you have to be rich enough to actually live on or near campus to get the experience, and, above all, you have to be rich enough to take more courses than the minimum required to get that job-getting degree.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:26 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This is total nonsense. My physics courses had real math in them. A community college or 3rd tier state school physics course might have high school algebra and half the class will struggle with even that basic math skill. Quantum mechanics had probability theory as a prerequisite math course. You had to be pretty good at integral calculus to handle the field theory course. Even the first Newtonian physics course I took had differental equations in it.

Somebody refuting this kind of needs to name the college and provide a link to the syllabus and the textbook. That's not what a top-50 university physics curriculum looks like. Universities also offer survey courses in the sciences with little math in them but those aren't going to open any doors for you if you think you're going to be seeking high tech employment. Real STEM courses at top universities are hard.

I would assume that a good introductory physics course would involve quite a bit of math. Especially calculus. But very few students complete differential equations before taking their first physics course. And yes, these are introductory courses. Further advanced courses do provide deeper understanding of the various topics first encountered in the intro courses.

The advanced physics courses (at least the ones that I took) required far more math than calculus. I took probability as well as quantum mechanics and, for me, advanced calculus was much more helpful in it as well as in the other physics courses at that level.

Not sure what your objection is to what I previously wrote. You seem to agree.

Last edited by Weichert; 10-24-2017 at 10:48 PM..

Old 10-24-2017, 11:24 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,409,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Who are all these kids that are spending a ton of money on degrees and then not getting jobs?

My oldest son has a dual liberal arts degree (math and economics). He has a job and is 100% on his own. His fiance has a liberal arts degree (biology). She is also a PA and has a great job. My cousin's daughter graduated in May and she has a job and is living in NY on her own. I ran into a few of my son's friends from high school who are now college graduates. They all have good jobs.

I see news stories about these people with degrees who can't find job but I don't know many of them in real life.
Just because you don't know many of them, doesn't mean they aren't out there.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:30 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDog1993 View Post
There would be less anti-college sentiment if colleges weren't required to teach phony white male guilt classes where white people, men, and white men of poorer backgrounds are told that they are inherently privileged vs. Lebron James. College tuition forces the poor to mortgage their future so the admin's rich boy son can get the new tennis court built on campus and he can sit his snobby pampered buttocks upon fine leather seating in front of a pure mahogany desk costing 5 figures. From there he sells out his students to ultra-high profit textbook companies all run by inheritors of Long Island or Cape Cod manors from where they commute to their offices in Manhattan or wherever. Students are required to take more and more gen ed. courses and as a new innovation you now have to take propaganda classes to be indoctrinated in a socially ultra-leftist worldview in many public colleges.

When liberals say that college should be about experience and becoming a better person through education - not just about getting a job that requires a degree - they're forgetting that if you want to have a good college experience you need to be rich enough to attend a college where advertisements aren't blaring in the student union. This often involves being born in a rich and functional family. On top of that you have to be rich enough to afford decent food instead of living off junk that won't provide enough nutrition to keep your brain running enough to pass your classes, you have to be rich enough to actually live on or near campus to get the experience, and, above all, you have to be rich enough to take more courses than the minimum required to get that job-getting degree.
You seem to acknowledge that rich people have privilege based on their wealth but then arbitrarily decide no such thing can exist regarding gender or race. Why because those are your privileges? Many rich people downplay the privileges they have too and insist their good fortune is solely due to their hard work.

So for the typical poor kid who also happens to be not white, take all that lack of privilege based on wealth and add on the ones regarding race and/or gender, and they are starting even further behind the starting line.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:37 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This is total nonsense. My physics courses had real math in them. A community college or 3rd tier state school physics course might have high school algebra and half the class will struggle with even that basic math skill. Quantum mechanics had probability theory as a prerequisite math course. You had to be pretty good at integral calculus to handle the field theory course. Even the first Newtonian physics course I took had differental equations in it.

Somebody refuting this kind of needs to name the college and provide a link to the syllabus and the textbook. That's not what a top-50 university physics curriculum looks like. Universities also offer survey courses in the sciences with little math in them but those aren't going to open any doors for you if you think you're going to be seeking high tech employment. Real STEM courses at top universities are hard.
You don’t seem to understand what introductory means. Introductory physics is the physics course that engineers and other science majors take as well as the first class for physics majors. Rutgers has a top 50 program, well top 30 really, and it’s introductory course, even for physics majors, only needs calc 1 and even then it can be a corequisite.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:05 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Just because you don't know many of them, doesn't mean they aren't out there.
There may be some out there but if I don't see hordes of unemployed college graduates in the real world I have to assume that they aren't the majority, or even a substantial minority. I suspect this is a lot of hand wringing over a small, unmotivated group of people.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:31 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,499,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Ahhh, completely made up statistics. How refreshing. And it is interesting to play the "just my opinion" card after stating your opinion as fact several times prior.

The idea that you can give such blanket advice as in this post and the prior is bizarre. The typical college student is taking on about $28K in debt for an undergraduate degree. For the typical millennial, they will make about $17K more a year than their peers without a degree. That means within just a handful of year the average debt carrying college grad is in the green.

Also you need to look at the realities of community college. Community college students are slightly less likely to graduate than their uni peers, even over 6 years, even when they attend full time.

https://ticas.org/posd/state-state-data-2015
https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...l-grads-widens
https://www.insidehighered.com/quick...ompletion-data
Of course it's my opinion. This whole thread is full of opinion LOL

Hey if people feel good taking on debt for this, great for them.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:12 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
I think there is an anti-college sentiment because its become a false mantra that one NEEDS to attend a four year university or college in order to be successful.

That's simply not true. There are many well paying jobs one could get with a certificate program, technical school or even learning on the job. Those avenues should be explored and marketed to high school kids too.

Not everyone is college material nor do they WANT to be college material. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:44 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,731,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
There may be some out there but if I don't see hordes of unemployed college graduates in the real world I have to assume that they aren't the majority, or even a substantial minority. I suspect this is a lot of hand wringing over a small, unmotivated group of people.
I know a decent number of college grads who are working in retail or otherwise making low wages. Go ask around at your local mall... I think you'd be surprised.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:58 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I know a decent number of college grads who are working in retail or otherwise making low wages. Go ask around at your local mall... I think you'd be surprised.
I would be interesting to know what their major was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education