Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2017, 05:32 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,073,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Do you really not know know the political ideologies of your professors?
Certainly not all of them, and the ones that I did talk with at sufficient length outside of class time were typically pragmatic centrists, not fringers in any direction.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
For every person that majored on liberal arts that ended up as a Director of Marketing, I can show you 100 that ended up working at Starbucks as a barista.
No, you can't, and if pressed on it, you would simply start de-certifying things as "liberal arts."

Old 10-27-2017, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Stupid, no. Lazy and/or pressed for time, yes.
Organizations have a lot riding on the success of their hiring decisions. It is very expensive to recruit, hire, and train someone, only to end up letting them go again and starting over. This is not a place for lazy people or those who are somehow pressed for time.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:58 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,147,346 times
Taking out student loans just to get the "adjustment to income on taxes" is silly. I paid my loans off quick and fast. Despite the the total interest paid the tax savings on that income was not enough to keep them around.

Has anyone seen the SNHU commercial where the girl wants to go to college and the parents are baffled about how they're going to pay for it? This next part of this commercial shows this girl out in the wild with her laptop and camera. I highly doubt she's in school to become a botanist. One does not need to go to SNHU to become a photographer.

I'm not anti-college, but higher education is a mess these days. We have students that are delusional and we have schools that are delusional.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:16 AM

"Delusional" isn't new. As bad as it still is, it was much worse not so long ago.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:17 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,731,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Organizations have a lot riding on the success of their hiring decisions. It is very expensive to recruit, hire, and train someone, only to end up letting them go again and starting over. This is not a place for lazy people or those who are somehow pressed for time.
No I more meant that such a requirement cuts down the applicant list so they don't have to make decisions like, "does 10 years experience in the field trump one year plus a degree?"

Keep in mind that we are talking about positions that really don't require a degree. An administrative assistant, for example. Some of these positions pay $12/hr... we are in a sorry state when college grads are competing for these types of jobs.

Last edited by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy; 10-27-2017 at 06:47 AM..

Old 10-27-2017, 07:35 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,458,306 times
There are a number of reasons for the back lash. Alot has to do with the huge amount of kids now going to college.

A college degree certainly helps with getting a job but it's not exactly as useful at getting higher paying jobs as it used to be.

Back when a small percentage of kids went to college any degree ment something to a potential employer. Now most are just seen the same as a high school diploma was 35 years ago something they expect to see (there are exceptions of course for top tier schools but most kids have no chance of going to one of those) not something that impresses.

It costs a lot more ... the cost benefits for you average bachelors degree is way off from what it was even 10 years ago.

Going back to point the 2nd point lots of jobs that have no reason to require a college degree now do as the employers use it as an easy screening method. (laziness on their part) There is no reason someone needs a college degree to manage a retail store but I have some relatives that have worked in retail for decades now being told they only hire managers with a bachelors (despite this person being a retail manager for 30 years now)

On the same track as above it creates a circle forcing more and more kids to get advanced degrees to try and stand out when they have no practical application in their life or career. We are essentially force feeding a massive education requirement on the population to little net good.

To the final point having people spend 5-6 years for a 150k education that will get them the same job their parents had on a highschool education is not progress. It's a huge inefficiency in our economy. I'm not saying we should eliminate liberal arts or higher ed, we just need to see the fact that the majority of kids got to college to prepare for a career not to enrich en their lives. One fix might be to have Bachelor degrees with less course work allowing most kids to graduate in 3 years (I believe this has become typical in Europe.
A couple examples below
I used to work for a company that had a large engineering dept. While the younger engineers I noticed had 4 year degrees, when I talked to the older ones many only had an associates in engineering from back in the 70's. They had never gone back to school and had good careers of a two year degree. Which makes me think that the 4 year degree for a career is a bit of a sham.
On another note I had a job for a while at a fortune 500 company. I have a trade school certificate (post high school) that cost me about $8,000 for 2 years back 20 years ago. When I worked at that company all the other guys in my department (except one) had a 4 year degree that had cost well over 75k . But oddly we made the same money, and correcting for the 2 years of work I had while they were in school the earnings were even more skewed. Now in general this job required a bachelors, I snuck in because they needed someone with industry experience. But really the job could have been done by most high school grads who could figure out excel. It left me thinking about all the wasted education dollars.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:50 AM

Those who don't think that higher education will help them in their lives and careers should simply not attend. Meanwhile, BLS data tell us that full-time workers 25 and older without a high school diploma had median weekly earnings of $494 in the first quarter of 2016. That compares with a median of $679 for high school graduates who never attended college and $782 for workers with some college or an associate degree. Median weekly earnings were $1,155 for workers with a bachelor's degree and $1,435 for workers with an advanced degree. Some of the difference of course results not from education itself, but from the fact that the less talented tend to give up on education earlier. Many of those were never going to get very far in any case.

Last edited by 17thAndK; 10-27-2017 at 07:58 AM..

Old 10-27-2017, 08:46 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Joining the military doesn't work out so well for the majority. In peacetime it is fine, but if you wind up in combat most wind up with PTSD and life long mental and physical health issues. As far as Marxist indoctrination in liberal arts colleges, it can't possibly compare to the capitalist indoctrination that fuels the media and commerce. In fact colleges are just another money making capitalist institution, like medicine, charities, the criminal justice system, etc. What you call Marxist and Hippie is more like What Would Jesus Do. Kindness, compassion, generosity, empathy. My progressive indoctrination started in Catholic school in the first grade. It only made sense and stuck with me a lifetime because it embraces the golden rule (do unto to others as you would have them do unto you) as opposed to the greed and hypocricy pushed by those who make money and power their main goal in life and call it success when they get it. I contributed to SS for 45 years and collected at 62. I've never been unemployed or neurotic (weird and/or a bit crazy maybe). Taking the hard classes in high school is a good idea. But if you can thrive in that environment, it's a no brainer to enroll in a CC or public college, live at home and work and borrow your way through in 4 years. Postponing that to serve in the military won't make it any easier.
There are a great many jobs in the military that are not direct combat jobs. Many are vocational trades such as operating and repairing generators, hydraulics, pneumatic compressors, electrical, electronics, plumbing, welding, fire fighting, and many other jobs.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:56 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,918,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
There are a great many jobs in the military that are not direct combat jobs. Many are vocational trades such as operating and repairing generators, hydraulics, pneumatic compressors, electrical, electronics, plumbing, welding, fire fighting, and many other jobs.
Keep in mind that there are many disqualifiers that can prevent someone from joining the military- common things like diabetes, arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, anemia, etc. It’s really not as simple as “just join the military.”

Medical Conditions That May Prevent You From Joining the Military | Military.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education