Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 06:13 PM

2,910 posts, read 1,358,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I would actually support making student loans dischargeable under bankruptcy because the courts usually do a decent job of separating those who have the means to repay but view their debts as an inconvenient burden, from those who are truly in financial distress with no realistic ability to pay.

Of course, as another poster just mentioned, we'll have to accept the inevitable change in loan approval policies when creditors have to factor those losses into their models. Loans will be harder to get, may require collateral, may have lower limits, etc. No more loans for degrees like liberal arts where the earning potential is low. No more loans for private top-tier universities, just state universities.
Bah, humbug. There were loans for liberal art degrees in the past when people in financial distress were able to declare bankruptcy and loans were cheaper then. I do like you're first point, though.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:41 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Absolute BS, my daughter in law has a journalism degree, works at Stanford University and probably makes more money than you ever will.
Sure until Stanford (smart folks) figure out how to hire overseas and send your DIL a newsflash that says: YOU'RE FIRED!

Old 12-30-2017, 07:43 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Sure until Stanford (smart folks) figure out how to hire overseas and send your DIL a newsflash that says: YOU'RE FIRED!
That's very unlikely but I get the point, but do you think people with STEM degrees are somehow exempt from being replaced?

Old 12-30-2017, 07:49 PM

9,499 posts, read 4,336,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Absolute BS, my daughter in law has a journalism degree, works at Stanford University and probably makes more money than you ever will.
Absolute BS. Statistically speaking, journalism is one of the lowest paying professions. Stanford does pay their professors exceptionally well, which is why your discrete data point means nothing in the context of this discussion.

According to Stanford's own website, the average salary for a full professor is only $248K. I have engineers working for me that make more than that with only a BS. The fact the your daughter works for one of the best paying schools and still doesn't make as much as many engineers sort of proves the point that degrees such as journalism are of limited value, especially outside the context of academia. Another data point: I have a friend who fixes cracks in basement walls. He makes more than $248K. The sheltered world of academia in which you live is nothing like the real world.

The BLS actually tracks these sort of things. Go check out the salary data for journalists vs STEM degrees and get back to us.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:13 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Absolute BS. Statistically speaking, journalism is one of the lowest paying professions. Stanford does pay their professors exceptionally well, which is why your discrete data point means nothing in the context of this discussion.

According to Stanford's own website, the average salary for a full professor is only $248K. I have engineers working for me that make more than that with only a BS. The fact the your daughter works for one of the best paying schools and still doesn't make as much as many engineers sort of proves the point that degrees such as journalism are of limited value, especially outside the context of academia. Another data point: I have a friend who fixes cracks in basement walls. He makes more than $248K. The sheltered world of academia in which you live is nothing like the real world.

The BLS actually tracks these sort of things. Go check out the salary data for journalists vs STEM degrees and get back to us.
She's not a professor but I'm going to let it go at that. I'm not discounting the value of a STEM degree, but to claim that's the only degree that matter is silly. College teaches critical thinking and that's probably the most important skill you can learn regardless of your major.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
We have enjoyed 70 years of great prosperity
the notion during this period of debtors prison was cast far away
But now the prosperity is coming to an end
And the concept of punishing those who do not pay is coming slowly back
Nasty terms like “dead beat” are occasionally being heard
This makes no sense at all unless you are old

Old 12-30-2017, 09:05 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
Right, because people purposely take out student loans with the intent that they are going to default on them. And unexpected things NEVER happen in life; there are NEVER health issues, floods, tornadoes, and hurricanes don't happen to people with student loans, trains NEVER fall off of bridges, and those people NEVER get laid off. So they have no excuse and it's all their fault because they PLANNED to be in the situation where they couldn't pay their loans off.
Because everyone lives within their means and lives frugally, always making repayment of their student loans a top priority, never taking vacations or buying new cars or gettign the latest iphones until the monthly student loan payment is made.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:13 PM

10,717 posts, read 5,658,076 times
Quote:
<SNIP>

It's different with Trump. He can declare bankruptcy and still keep his driver's license (not that he needs it) because he's special. No need to deter that serial bankrupt.
Bankruptcy is available to everyone, not just Trump. The non-dischargeability of student loans through bankruptcy applies to everyone, including Trump. Bringing Trump into this discussion is a massive red herring. I should be surprised that so many are buying into it. Unfortunately, I’m not.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:14 PM

2,910 posts, read 1,358,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Bankruptcy is available to everyone, not just Trump. The non-dischargeability of student loans through bankruptcy applies to everyone, including Trump. Bringing Trump into this discussion is a massive red herring. I should be surprised that so many are buying into it. Unfortunately, I’m not.
Not a red herring at all. All loans should be dischargeable if a person is in dire financial straits, but instead only student ones are not and now people face the possibility of losing their driver's license if they are unable to pay, putting them further into financial straits. Meanwhile Trump was allowed to file for bankruptcy several times and still live a lavish lifestyle.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:39 PM

10,717 posts, read 5,658,076 times
Quote:
Not a red herring at all. All loans should be dischargeable if a person is in dire financial straits, but instead only student ones are not and now people face the possibility of losing their driver's license if they are unable to pay, putting them further into financial straits. Meanwhile Trump was allowed to file for bankruptcy several times and still live a lavish lifestyle.
If the issue were that Trump was allowed to discharge student loan debt while others weren’t, then it would be relevant. However, that isn’t the case. Comparing the dischargability of business debt with the non dischargeability of student loan debt is an apples to oranges comparison. Trumps situation is totally irrelevant in this situation, and as such, it is absolutely a red herring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education