Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2018, 01:39 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,147,065 times

Advertisements

It's saddening that, if this thread is any indication, our society sees this kid as merely a "future criminal" to be written off as swiftly as possible rather than a troubled child who clearly has underlying problems - which can and should be addressed in order to enable him to develop into a better person.

A 7 year old child.

And we wonder why the incarceration rate is so extreme here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 01:46 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,565,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
It's saddening that, if this thread is any indication, our society sees this kid as merely a "future criminal" to be written off as swiftly as possible rather than a troubled child who clearly has underlying problems - which can and should be addressed in order to enable him to develop into a better person.

A 7 year old child.

Well to be fair it is up to his parents to raise this child. Not society. The parents have to seek to get him help. Not society. It is up to them to see that he behaves in school. Not society. They are laying a path for this child to end up institutionalized if they do not correct this problem asap. From the parent's response it seems he is not to blame, but the school is to blame. They are laying the ground work for a "non-contributor" to society.

Old 02-02-2018, 01:51 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Teachers aren't allowed to physically discipline children, so I don't know what you are referring to. They have to call security or law enforcement. This is a result of rules, laws, and lawsuits.

In the old days, teachers could paddle children, but corporal punishment isn't allowed anywhere, that I know of.

So protocol was followed by the school, and probably by law enforcement. Law enforcement was going to be criticized, no matter what they did. They were in a lose-lose situation.

The kid is the one who caused the problems, and apparently isn't being raised properly.
It is allowed in 19 states, though it is not used everywhere it is allowed.

Why Are 19 States Still Allowing Corporal Punishment in Schools?

Quote:
Corporal punishment is concentrated in southern states and, to a lesser extent, in some states out west. More than half the school districts in Mississippi, Arkansas, and Alabama, use corporal punishment, a level that surprised Gershoff.

“I had assumed it would be only a few pockets of districts still using corporal punishment within each state, but the district-level data we analyzed made clear that the practice is much more widespread in some states than I expected.”

Most alarming are the blaring racial disparities in how this punishment is meted out. Students of color, predominantly African American boys, are on the receiving end of a paddle significantly more often than their white counterparts. In Mississippi and Alabama, Black students are 51% more likely to be hit than White students in more than half of those state’s districts. In one-fifth of districts, that likelihood soars to 500%.

This is a disparity that cannot be explained away by Black students attending schools more likely to use the punishment – because they don’t. Across the South, White students are more likely to attend these schools, according to the report.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:08 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,147,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Well to be fair it is up to his parents to raise this child. Not society. The parents have to seek to get him help. Not society. It is up to them to see that he behaves in school. Not society. They are laying a path for this child to end up institutionalized if they do not correct this problem asap. From the parent's response it seems he is not to blame, but the school is to blame. They are laying the ground work for a "non-contributor" to society.
I agree.

And that's where I'd rather see the outrage directed - to the parents who need to get this kid some help. Not towards the child himself, who is barely old enough to be taught fractions.

Unfortunately some people are blurring the lines. Get on the parents' asses.

I can sort of relate to that kid - I was a troubled kid too at that age, and my parents didn't care (they found my antics funny, if anything).

Thankfully I had caring teachers who took me aside and took the time to get to know me and talk to me and make me feel like I wasn't forgotten. I also found out about the Big Sisters Little Sisters program and begged my parents for a "Big Sister". To shut me up, they obliged.

Between my teachers, my Big Sister, and the friends I made at school after learning better social skills, I went from a "future criminal" to a GATE (Gifted and Talented Education) student in a year. Now I'm happily married, well-educated, gainfully employed, and happy.

Ever since that young age, I've always learned to never rely on my parents for anything. My parents were neglectful druggies who were always in trouble with the law. I'd probably be dead by now if I had no support system outside of my parents.

It's still primarily the parents' responsibility, but sometimes it takes a village.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:22 PM

292 posts, read 570,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What do you do with a child who is repeatedly punching a teacher? He looked a little tall for a 7 year old - this isn't like a 3 year old punching.

He was able to get the teacher down on the ground and still didn't stop the attack.

I don't know if they have video of the incident, but to me, that's a real concern. And mother isn't helping.

I saw a very disgusting video of school police cuffing a special needs kid around that age. That kid was not violent and the cops had no right to do what they did.

OTOH, in this case, yes, the punk deserved to be cuffed. Maybe he should spend some time in juvie.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It is allowed in 19 states, though it is not used everywhere it is allowed.

Why Are 19 States Still Allowing Corporal Punishment in Schools?
Because God and Jesus told them to (not sarcasm). At least that's what their favorite storybook said.

Another reason why I am glad I am Atheist.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
This isn't a misbehaving child. This is a child who has no sense of right or wrong and needs to be removed from school until he can comply with proper behavior in a controlled environment. This is not like a child talking in class and being reprimanded. This is a child so out of control that he thinks beating a teacher over and over is acceptable behavior. His parents are failing to do their job.

This is what Juvenile Detention is for. Maybe the parents should also be locked up.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:28 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,060,171 times
Hmmmph. bizarre event.

I support the school and the cops in this regard, they were right to cuff the 7 yr old, and would do the same thing all over again, if this was Groundhogs Day.

I wonder what the bail was set at - Or was he released without being charged, making this whole thing a media circus and not reality?

I would order full psych evaluation of the 7 yr old, and independantly, his parents. If he can't work and play well with others, he can be isolated into a special needs school, and doesn't deserve co-mingling with normal 7 yr olds.

The problem with the situation, is the 7 yr old isn't fully aware of his rights, roles, and responsibilities so he can't pay the costs. The parents need to be charged with the applicable crimes, for failure to teach, control, and civilize their crazy monkey kid.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:41 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,038,480 times
If a 7 year old is so short fused and filled with rage that he has no compunction about attacking a teacher, obviously, there are serious problems.... my guess is a combination of mental health for the child and poor nor no appropriate parenting skills on the part of the parents.....

Whatever the situation, the child needs immediate evaluation and help......

Old 02-02-2018, 05:38 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post

A 7 year old child.

I usually side with the child/family in cases where there is some question of discipline over reach. For example, I really don't get severely punishing a child for merely having a loud tantrum.

But this behavior - of physically attacking a teacher with multiple punches, and then rolling around on the floor pulling her hair, is so far out of the bounds of anything you ever see that it's really exceptional behavior in a mainstream child.

And it's hard to believe this isn't an indicator of a severely unbalanced child who will continue to struggle in the future.

If this were a child in a horrible abuse situation, or where he had been to multiple foster care homes and was used to having to protect his food, and so the withdrawing of that food would make him panic and aggress, it would be more understandable. And then when placed in a safe stable environment you could see him improving.

There's nothing in the small amount of info we have to indicate he has ever been in a situation where this would be a behavior he had learned in order to survive.

I wonder, when he got in trouble in November for kicking a teacher (and it was handled in the school and not by law enforcement) did anyone at home say "you may not kick a teacher? This is absolutely unacceptable behavior?" Or did they comfort him and demean the teacher at home? My guess is yeah, that last thing.

Last edited by ClaraC; 02-02-2018 at 05:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education