Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2018, 06:38 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,264,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The "right" to plug into a teacher?
?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 06:51 PM

35,090 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
No, you didn't.

It would take a huge set of balls for the parents of this kid to go on camera & threaten a lawsuit if they were illegal, wouldn't it?

Then again...it takes a huge set of balls for parents of illegals to demand their "rights" in the USA, too.

So who knows?
The "right" to plug into a teacher?
?
I just recreated the post sequence for you. Do you believe that a child has a right to pummel a teacher?

Old 02-02-2018, 07:18 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,264,759 times
Quote:
I just recreated the post sequence for you. Do you believe that a child has a right to pummel a teacher?
No, I do not.

I think you may have mis-interpreted what I meant.

What I meant was that it really doesn't matter if the parents & child are illegal because many illegals can/do demand their "rights" in situations where they have none.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:38 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,549,632 times
I'm afraid we're going to see more and more of this happening. Discipline and rules begin at home when they are young, but now we are told discipline hurts the poor child. He needed an ass-whomping long ago.

If he's hitting and physically abusing a teacher like that at 7, he'll be in the pen by 15.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:47 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,704,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Happens all the time nowadays. My wife's biggest fear is that why will get attacked by a student. Administrators are scared to death of the parents, who are usually more out of control than the child (the apple never falls far from the tree).

Meth Head parents, students suffering from Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, parents who refuse to have their child evaluated or tested for learning or behavioral disabilities, parents who steal their child's ADD medications to sell on the streets, unstable living arrangements, poor nutrition (Twinkies and Mountain Dew should not be breakfast for anyone!), young students being isolated (held prisoner) in their bedrooms until the next morning as soon as they return home from school, endless stream of unsupervised ultra-violent video games, non-censored internet access, etc.

Even 5-year olds have sent Teachers and Aides to the Hospital following tantrums at my wife's school.
Absolutely! I work in preschool and also with after schoolers. It's amazing that so many parents ignore their children's behavior. They also get no discipline, and pass the buck to other kids....like "Well, what did the other kid do to my kid to make him throw chairs around the room, etc..." What's even sadder is parents that pay NO attention to their kids. We have one who, in all the years we've had her kids, always has a phone on her ear, and doesn't talk to anyone on her way in or out...not even her kids. She just tells them to hurry up, they have somewhere to be. We have to constantly remind people that donuts, pop tarts, soda, candy, chips, are not allowable breakfast foods in our center. The things some of my after schooler parents allow their kids to watch on their ipads, I don't even allow my high schooler to watch. Logan Paul causes brain damage

5 year olds can certainly injure a teacher. I've been bitten, kicked, had toys large and small thrown at me, been punched in the torso, pinched on the face (I have a small scar on my lower lip from a 4 yr. old throwing a tantrum), been pushed to the ground by a 9 yr. old (as tall as I was. They were in a fight with someone else, and I got in the way to break it up). Just yesterday, a five year old got super angry and threw a tonka truck across the room and it hit me in the shoulder. And sometimes you have to put yourself in the path of the projectile to keep it from hitting other kids, and all the other things they throw before you can get to them to stop it. I feel for high school teachers who deal with that, because those kids are bigger than some of the teachers.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So in other words, the paddle did not end the bad behavior of the student.
I got paddled in the 3rd grade for forging my parent's signature on a failing grade paper. I also got it at home. I never forged another signature.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:51 PM

666 posts, read 513,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
It's saddening that, if this thread is any indication, our society sees this kid as merely a "future criminal" to be written off as swiftly as possible rather than a troubled child who clearly has underlying problems - which can and should be addressed in order to enable him to develop into a better person.

A 7 year old child.

And we wonder why the incarceration rate is so extreme here.
It's sad but it's not all too surprising. This is how the American educational system works. It's not about improving children. It's about labeling them at a certain age according to prejudices and then treating them as such so that they wind up fulfilling the prophecy and becoming another one of "them" and proof that they're "all no good/violent/stupid/psychotic/born criminals."

Most minority or children who are deemed "different" for whatever reason are groomed into thinking they're born failures or bad seeds or destined to fulfill a stereotype. Some are even point blank told to their faces. I remember hearing stories from people who were told cruel things by teachers or treated in certain ways. One man, who became a cop, was told point blank by a teacher that he was going to do nothing but grow up to be a dealer and sell drugs on the street corner. Others have had experiences of teachers calling them "retarded" or treating them that way, just because they were arty or unusually quiet or whatever.

Others were deemed bad seeds and immediately scapegoated and punished for things they didn't do. My sister had to pull my niece out of Catholic school after she caught a teacher red-handed falsely accusing her of something she didn't do. This teacher had spent months doing this over and over again. She didn't want to take her kid's word for it until she could see for herself, and she did.

So yes, this is what this incident is all about. We don't know why this kid acted out. Maybe he's beaten up by his parents all the time. Maybe for whatever reason, he's mentally and emotionally abused. But the school system isn't willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because of his heritage whereas if he were a different background, a little older and had mass shot his classmates to death, everyone would be bending over backwards to paint him as a victim of mental illness and plead clemency because "everyone makes mistakes" or "he was stressed" or "bipolar".

Last edited by EastFlatbush; 02-02-2018 at 09:09 PM..

Old 02-02-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
This is a very sad commentary, and not on the boy. Rather on the incompetent school administrators who can't figure out a better way of dealing with an unruly seven year old, other then calling the cops on him.

Where will it stop? What is the minimum age to be arrested in this country? How long before we see a two year old in daycare, hit another kid, and get taken out in handcuffes and charged with assault? This is complete insanity.
It's only the administrators catering to parents who have made it impossible to handle their children, and those are the parents who don't discipline their kids at home either. If teachers don't have adequate resources or parent support or support from administration, and kids who know they are untouchable, it's cops who are called to handle it. I see this with the parents of my after schoolers quite often. What do you honestly expect a teacher to do when they can barely even be allowed to raise their voice to a raging child? Saying in a sweet little whisper "Now dear, please put that down and lets go over here and have some quiet time" almost never works, because some children get too far out of control to even hear what you are saying. We've had 3 year olds give other 3 year olds black eyes before, so even littles can injure people.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Fire the teacher. You can't press assault charges on a seven year old. No charges were filed, and no charges will be filed. Any adult who can't handle a physical altercation with a 50 pound 4 foot tall child should not be allowed around children, and should not be working in a school.
Let me guess that you don't work in close proximity to children, and with all the rules of things you can't do. Garden variety tantrums aren't too hard to handle, but some of these kids are having rages that go past that. And have you seen 7 year olds lately?? Some of them are as tall as small adults. There are more cases of ODD, and issues like bi-polar disorder and babies with alcohol and drug addiction issues. When a kid is kicking, windmill punching, biting, screaming and scratching, possibly pulling at you (your arms or clothing) they can knock you off balance. Don't let 50 lbs and 4 ft. tall fool you.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:22 PM

666 posts, read 513,464 times
Quote:
This is a very sad commentary, and not on the boy. Rather on the incompetent school administrators who can't figure out a better way of dealing with an unruly seven year old, other then calling the cops on him.

Where will it stop? What is the minimum age to be arrested in this country? How long before we see a two year old in daycare, hit another kid, and get taken out in handcuffed and charged with assault? This is complete insanity.
You're right. It's insane. I've been trying to be diplomatic on my feelings about this but your comments have made me feel a little bit better about saying this: I think any adult who feels that she needed to call the police on a child and wants to press charges has mental health issues. Not the child. The child, of course, has behavioral issues. But the adult? That person has lost complete grasp on reality.

BTW, regarding your "where will it stop" question? I'm not trying to be alarmist or facetious or anything, but I 100% believe that we're a year or two away from police gunning down a child. Maybe not as young as 7 but maybe 8 or 9. Why the hell not? Police were terrified of Justine Damond, a harmless housewife from Australia. They were terrified of a man who had a child in the backseat of a car, were terrified of a man who was made to crawl and beg for his life. If police are terrified enough of harmless people like this, why not a child?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education