Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 10:57 AM

9,405 posts, read 11,153,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Maybe the lesson to be learned is that life and tests are never fair. Actually the kids need to advocate for themselves. I can remember several times when I respectfully explained my position and a teacher agreed with me and changed my grade. I probably learned a lot more from doing this myself than I would have if my parents intervened.

After all, it's one question on 1 test.
Indeed. LIFE IS NOT FAIR.

And 5th graders coming home crying about a test? Holy moly, things have really gone downhill since I was 11. Jeez, this is pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 11:00 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,373,059 times
How can 5th graders remember an experiment done a few weeks ago? Maybe a few days ago but after a couple of weeks, I'm sure most 5th graders cannot remember.

If most kids in the class did poorly on a particular question on a test, that's an indicator there could be something wrong with the test question.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:39 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
How can 5th graders remember an experiment done a few weeks ago? Maybe a few days ago but after a couple of weeks, I'm sure most 5th graders cannot remember.

If most kids in the class did poorly on a particular question on a test, that's an indicator there could be something wrong with the test question.
Easy. They could have studied the NOTES they took while conducting the experiment. Also, most school experiments have written instructions.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:43 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,037,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Wrong. It's a fair question. X = 25-Y or Y= 25-X.
That's just making it a trick question. Because you cannot solve one equation and two unknowns. That's just like the " Chinese" math problem about the captains age. It was actually a question to show people will create all kinds of twists to solve a math question because that's what school teaches even when the correct answer is " the problem is unsolvable from the information given."

Old 10-11-2018, 12:46 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
You will not agree with everything being taught, how it is taught, and why it is taught.

That's standard, so it is what it is.

It's fair, because everyone got the same question, you not liking the question doesn't make it unfair.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-11-2018, 12:54 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
That's just making it a trick question. Because you cannot solve one equation and two unknowns. That's just like the " Chinese" math problem about the captains age. It was actually a question to show people will create all kinds of twists to solve a math question because that's what school teaches even when the correct answer is " the problem is unsolvable from the information given."
No. It's standard practice for certain math problems to be solved by ending with the most basic equation. Every problem doesn't end with a whole number or integer.

I would expect the question to be worded as solve for X or Y.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I have mixed feelings here. It is an important skill for people to fight for what is right, and not just accept life being unfair. But it's also an important skill to learn when to fight and when to fold, and it sounds like this grade is mostly meaningless. Maybe this could be a chance for the kid to practice his skills of advocating for himself. It's a low stakes situation if he loses, but could be a useful experience in the future when he's going to want to dispute something where the stakes are higher.

In any case, do not use the word "unfair" when disputing the grade. It's not going to get you anywhere, regardless of who is right.
Except you used that word "unfair" in your own post and so have many posters here.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:01 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,223,325 times
This is is typical of a lazy and/or incompetent teacher who clearly failed to understand the testing materials provided and that the test was SUPPOSED to be administered contemporaneously with the classroom work of the experiment.

Many teachers don't really understand the purpose of testing, and are literally just going through the motions. In an example such as this, the classroom work and the test are part of the same teaching unit/module.

Other examples are handouts that are not handed out with the material on the day its covered in class. When you disaggregate materials like this, they lose their instructional value.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
This is is typical of a lazy and/or incompetent teacher who clearly failed to understand the testing materials provided and that the test was SUPPOSED to be administered contemporaneously with the classroom work of the experiment.

Many teachers don't really understand the purpose of testing, and are literally just going through the motions. In an example such as this, the classroom work and the test are part of the same teaching unit/module.

Other examples are handouts that are not handed out with the material on the day its covered in class. When you disaggregate materials like this, they lose their instructional value.
Oh, for crying out loud! We only know a tiny bit of one side of this issue! Document everything you've said. Tell us how you know this.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfklaguardia View Post
I sent an email to the teacher, she told me the kids had enough time to prepare... Then I noticed that the page had a warning on top that the materials used in this experiment could be dangerous if misused. I understood that it was something that was supposed to be answered by the kids while they were conducting the experiment. This made much more sense, as there's no way kids would be asked to remember each of the numerous experiments they've done in such a detail that they'd know which materials were used in which cup. This would be a mere memory test, not a knowledge test.

I wrote about that to the teacher, haven't heard back, and yesterday emailed her again - yet no response.

I'm contemplating whether I should talk with the principal about this unfair test, or just let it go. I know that grades in 5th grade are not important, but I think the kids have a right to earn a grade that reflects their knowledge and how hard they studied for the test.
s?
I would talk to the teacher before going to the principal. Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education