Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2011, 12:04 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,742 times

Advertisements

okay scratch texas. My wife said they only did anything because she threatened them with a federal lawsuit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 10:49 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Texas in general does not do anything for anyone special education or not.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,427 times
We live in Ventura, CA, now and have been very happy so far. We have a private ABA company come to our home for 12 hours per week. My high-functioning autistic son starts kindergarten in the fall, and Loma Vista Elementary has been very accommodating. I have heard that Thousand Oaks and Westlake Village (also in Ventura Co.) also have very good programs. My husband just got a new job though in Santa Monica. Has anybody found anywhere in LA county that is good? Calabasas would be perfect for us, but I've heard they are very difficult to get services out of.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,398 times
im thinking of moving to indiana. my son has what is called p.a.n.d.a.s. where is a good school for him? if you want to research it go to pandasnetwork.org

Old 07-22-2011, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,360 times
Default Autistic schools

Would anyone let me know if they 'wish' there was a website to use as a resource to find the best autistic schools for their child's needs? Please let me know if you wish there was a National resource to find the most recommended schools...public & private...or our autistic kids/adults. Thank you..and God Bless

Old 07-23-2011, 02:33 PM

248 posts, read 535,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj3 View Post
NJ is one of the best states for autistic children. In fact, many move here from surrounding states to get the care. We have specialized schools and many school districts that have their own programs that are top notch. I am not sure why the above poster said that NJ doesn't believe in inclusion. That didnt make sense. Those children who are in special schools may not be included in a regular classroom (they aren't even in typical schools) but there are many high functionining children in regular classrooms. As a former teacher, this fact I know!
Can you tell me which towns in NJ have the best autism programs in their public schools? I heard Brick, Pt Pleasant, and East Brunswick are good.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:40 PM

We're in PA (Chester County) and have been pretty happy with everything. If you live in PA, and your child has an autism diagnosis, you automatically get Keystone Mercy with covers all doctor appointments and therapies. Doesn't matter if you have health insurance, doesn't matter how much money you make. But we are from NJ, and planning on moving back there soon. Doubt we'd get anything for free there, but hear there are good programs in the public schools.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecherman View Post
Chester County, Pennsylvania, which is a Philadelphia Western suburb and also borders Maryland and is very close to Delaware, is supposed to have an outstanding program for autistic children. It's run by the county Intermediate Unit.

I have neighbors with 2 autistic children who moved to North Carolina, not knowing any better.

Within months they were looking to put their brand new home in NC up for sale and ultimately took a big loss in order to return to Chester County.

Here is an overview and contact information.

CCIU - Autism Support (http://www.cciu.org/SpecialEducation/autism.html - broken link)

My son goes to the Chester County Intermediate Unit and we're pretty happy with the program. He also goes to Theraplay in West Chester, twice a week for additional speech and OT. (All free with Keystone Mercy!!)

Old 07-23-2011, 06:42 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
This school has been great for my children: Jowonio School

Districts like East Syracuse-Minoa, Baldwinsville, Liverpool, Onondaga Central and Ed Smith Elementary in the Syracuse City SD, seem to get good reviews. I believe that Jamesville-DeWitt does as well. My daughter is in the North Syracuse SD and they are alright too. West Genesee also gets mentioned at times. Here's some more information: Jowonio School

Cayuga-Onondaga BOCES - Special Education
Onondaga - Cortland - Madison Counties BOCES
A new hope for autistic children fills a growing, desperate need - at a price | syracuse.com
https://nccnews.expressions.syr.edu/?p=11920 (broken link)
Syracuse Autism Developmental Evaluation Center Margaret L. Williams
Social Skills Training for Youth with Autism (STARS) - Enable

Old 07-27-2011, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 4,055 times
PLEASE HELP!!! We have a 10 yr old boy with autism (severe/profound type). Need a good school and heavy support system. Currently living in NC, extremely limited services available and thumbs down for school! We are looking to move anywhere to better our son's life! ...And our family! Any advice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education