Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2022, 10:04 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
wrong..... all indoctrination is unacceptable. you're experience doesn't speak for the majority and neither does mine as I have a degree in education and no longer use it. I've lived in red and blue states and taught in both, been in admin in a red state. It is all poorly run but IME, it was always the liberal side that made it worse. They were always the most pushy, confrontational, and angry.

The marching orders that were pushed were not in the best interest of the children or education as a whole but rather the district agenda and the mighty dollar that follows. A real life 2022 example is all of this gender garbage. Not a coincidence that the LGBTQ community pumps in millions of dollars into education. Follow the money, just like every other poorly run government entity.

From my personal experience as a staff member and a parent I would NEVER send my kids to a PS today and that doesnt mean good kids dont attend, flourish or that all Public schools are the same but they all have the same underbelly. None of my kids went to the public schools because the system and curriculum stinks and that was before this no child left behind and common core garbage. Hell, in some states students don't even have to prove they can read, write, or understand math to graduate. PS is an absolute joke today.
Every comment a teacher makes is not indoctrination.

Well, sorry, but in the 3 states I worked in -- NYS (in a red area), Maryland, and Virginia, I didn't see the "pushy, confrontational, and angry". To some extent, those 3 descriptors and in the eye of the beholder. I see your posts on this topic as being "pushy, confrontational, and angry".

"Marching orders"??? A bit of hyperbole there. 23 years in admin and 33 in education...where was I when those marching orders were passed out. Even for 2 years when I was a union rep in my junior high, we never got "marching orders", and that was in a union state.

I'm curious what kind of staff member you were...and if you thought PS was so horrible why you chose to work in one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I've been subbing in over a dozen school districts across a four county area for a number of years including six long term social studies jobs. My experience is similar to phetaroi's. I've met a few teachers who push right wing agendas in the classroom. One was a math teacher that my three children had. Others were more subtle about pushing their political stance. I have yet to see a teacher pushing a far liberal position. I've been in many classrooms with teachers and it is rare for a teacher not to be objective about political issues. But I think this idea is severely overblown. How many teachers are even in a position that they would or should be discussing political issues? The math teacher I mentioned should've been teaching math, not discussing politics. It should rarely come up in history classes. It might come up in English classes depending on the book being read. I taught civics to 8th grade and 12 grade, and nobody could've guessed if I was liberal or conservative, or who I voted for in the last Presidential election. I've taught about the Amendments and major SCOTUS decisions while presenting both sides of the issues.

I will agree with you on one point. I do believe that education has declined in the majority of schools. I see many students who have difficulty focusing on anything and can barely read or do basic math.
Thank you.

You know in my years at college, there was only one instance where a professor permeated the curriculum with his personal politics, and it was right-winger. The course was 'School Finance' in the Administration & Curriculum doctoral program. Unfortunately, the professor had never worked in a public school AND -- would you believe it -- in 15 weeks never mentioned schools once. Do you know what we did for 15 weeks -- we listened to lectures about one topic -- Reagonomics. I guess we were being indoctrinated. In fact, I'm sure of it.

Old 09-13-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Well, you don't live in NYC or Northern VA or Chicago. It's depends on your location.
Well, I was in Northern Virginia for most of my career.

Old 09-13-2022, 10:36 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
A committee of teachers who would do what?
That poster never responded, but I assume he/she meant having exams and assignments graded by a committee of teachers rather than a single teacher, so that everybody is graded the same way. I don't know if the intent is for everybody in a particular school to take the same exams or not.

Old 09-13-2022, 10:42 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
The public school system wont ever be worth a damn until the lobbyists, unions, and political charged teachers are banned.
I agree. They also need to eliminate tenure so that teachers are forced to teach, and we don't get stuck with bad teachers. And it would force teachers to be accountable.

Quote:
If a class of any age is voluntarily told by their teacher what their political affiliation and/or what their sex/gender is, they should be fired immediately. Teach kids math, science, true history, English, and finance. That is the job, not indoctrination.
In high school, I had to take a participation in government class. The first thing the teacher did was show us his AARP card. The second thing he did was tell us he's a Democrat. Given the subject matter, I'd say that was acceptable. I had a professor who was a retired politician so his political affiliation was well-known.

Old 09-13-2022, 10:50 AM

686 posts, read 806,564 times
Quote:
Every comment a teacher makes is not indoctrination.

Well, sorry, but in the 3 states I worked in -- NYS (in a red area), Maryland, and Virginia, I didn't see the "pushy, confrontational, and angry". To some extent, those 3 descriptors and in the eye of the beholder. I see your posts on this topic as being "pushy, confrontational, and angry".

"Marching orders"??? A bit of hyperbole there. 23 years in admin and 33 in education...where was I when those marching orders were passed out. Even for 2 years when I was a union rep in my junior high, we never got "marching orders", and that was in a union state.

I'm curious what kind of staff member you were...and if you thought PS was so horrible why you chose to work in one.
I grew up in MD but in a small town. I attended public high school and while I dont recall any indoctrination in the 90s overall, MD and most certainly VA are extremely liberal when it comes to education by todays definition. Loudoun Co ring a bell? They are more of the majority in todays PS world. There is no defending the PS system in the current state, its just flat out bad.

I was a PE teacher and then a Vice Principle in Oregon and GA until I realized the PS system was a sinking ship and teachers or Admin have very little control. I started out this career because that is what I received a degree for and did the whole teach PE and coach thing. So thankful to be out of the cesspool while making 3x the pay.

Last edited by Familyman6; 09-13-2022 at 11:10 AM..

Old 09-13-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I grew up in MD but in a small town. I attended public high school and while I dont recall any indoctrination in the 90s overall, MD and most certainly VA are extremely liberal when it comes to education by todays definition. Loudoun Co ring a bell? They are more of the majority in todays PS world. There is no defending the PS system in the current state, its just flat out bad.

I was a PE teacher and then a Vice Principle in Oregon and GA until I realized the PS system was a sinking ship and teachers or Admin have very little control. I started out this career because that is what I received a degree for and did the whole teach PE and coach thing. So thankful to be out of the cesspool while making 3x the pay.
Well, that OLD concept of PE teachers making good administrator was, thankfully, tossed out decades ago.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-14-2022 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: removed the spelling comment

Old 09-13-2022, 05:49 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Thank you.

You know in my years at college, there was only one instance where a professor permeated the curriculum with his personal politics, and it was right-winger. The course was 'School Finance' in the Administration & Curriculum doctoral program. Unfortunately, the professor had never worked in a public school AND -- would you believe it -- in 15 weeks never mentioned schools once. Do you know what we did for 15 weeks -- we listened to lectures about one topic -- Reagonomics. I guess we were being indoctrinated. In fact, I'm sure of it.
Since you've asked the question the other way, it would be legitimate to ask if the reason you never saw any left leaning teachers/professors is that you already held that position and didn't see it was "left." The statement that the left has moved so far left that if John Kennady were alive today, he'd be a Republican pretty much describes it.

Old 09-13-2022, 07:01 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I agree. They also need to eliminate tenure so that teachers are forced to teach, and we don't get stuck with bad teachers. And it would force teachers to be accountable.
Tenure has nothing to do with the problems in education. The issues are much larger. Reading ability is declining rapidly in schools because students go through K12 without reading anything. They don't have textbooks or if they do, it it one classroom set. They watch videos, do worksheets, and play games in class. Students play games on their Chromebooks and phones during class. If students are failing, teachers are supposed to help them pass, because getting everyone pushed through to graduation is the only objective. Teachers aren't accountable because students aren't accountable. They are just putting in time until graduation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
In high school, I had to take a participation in government class. The first thing the teacher did was show us his AARP card. The second thing he did was tell us he's a Democrat. Given the subject matter, I'd say that was acceptable. I had a professor who was a retired politician so his political affiliation was well-known.
I don't understand the significance of an AARP card. Everyone starts getting AARP applications starting before their 50th birthday.

I have two undergraduate degrees (business and political science) and a graduate degree in IT. I never had a high school or college instructor mention their political party. I do think my 8th grade history teacher was a Democrat because I remember him saying that Hubert Humphrey was the best politician who never go elected President. I was in 8th grade when Nixon was first elected.

Old 09-13-2022, 07:46 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Phetaroi and I shared a suburban DC school system many years ago that had a teacher whose nickname was "Red _____________". This was almost forty years ago.
Forty years ago doesn't count. Try in the last three years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education