Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 05:20 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

Test them, eliminate all college remedial classes (paid for, but no credit) and return them to the high schools that graduated them, prematurely, to fix their problem. It would expose the sham to increase high school graduation rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 08:33 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c charlie View Post
To assert that only the smartest ,and most intelligent should attend as they did 'back in the day' is an unfounded claim, and in fact quite wrong.'

'Back in the day',let's say 100 years ago, only the children of the wealthy attended university. Many of them were (and still are) ineffably stupid.

This may come as a shock, but you don't need to be very bright to obtain most undergraduate degrees. What you do need is persistence, focus and motivation.

Excluding the professions, most undergraduate degrees (Eg Liberal arts) were never intended to provide a qualification for anything. The idea was to round off one's education. With luck, one might have learned some critical thinking skills and perhaps a slightly broader world view..
Yes and no. I'm sick of folks maligning the term "Liberal Arts." I think they often confuse it with fine arts? You are correct that it doesn't train for a specific job like nursing, but it doesn't mean that you aren't taught skills needed for specific areas of work.

A graduate with a BA from a Liberal Arts college could have a degree in anything from Economics, Mathematics, English, Philosopy, Biology, Physics.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:47 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,565,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkinson View Post
As it is, everybody and their mom can go to college, as a result, student debt is insane and lots of people are just dumb and shouldn't be in college at all. What if there were far stricter requirements, say only the smartest most intelligent people were allowed to go to college? Kind of like how it was back in the day?
Yes, it would be better. But the reality is now days it is pay-to-play. You pony up the cash and you will get your degree. That is why the whole higher education system is a joke these days. The colleges and universities know they have a cash gravy train going on. The people who pull the strings have no incentive to have stricter requirements. Looser requirements means more $$$. That is the name of the game. Pack it in while you can before the whole system goes bust. That is why the majority of degrees today are completely worthless. Note the degrees that are hard to attain that your average mouth-breather can't complete actually still have value in the marketplace.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:59 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
As it is, everybody and their mom can go to college, as a result, student debt is insane and lots of people are just dumb and shouldn't be in college at all. What if there were far stricter requirements, say only the smartest most intelligent people were allowed to go to college? Kind of like how it was back in the day?
The purpose of college is to open doors, not close them.

That being said, of the approximately 66% of high school graduates who went on to college, 60% ended up getting at least a Bachelor's Degree.

To some extent, college is a filter...that pretty much works as it is.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:07 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,603 times
Yes make university stricter so people realize early on they need alternative path. So many people waste years believing university education is the only path forward for them & eventually after years they end up with vocational degree for real job. We have too many delusional parents and kids in the world & getting that message across will be helpful.

But I also believe in fair opportunity and not everyone peaks at same time & I love how flexible our education system is compared to other nation where a persons destiny is decided at 18 & can not be changed. I think going the community college route and then transferring to university is a better option & should be utilized for students who weren't the strongest but dedicated or adults who decided to change life.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:34 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,450 times
Quote:
To be honest IMO it would be better if colleges had entrance exams like they do in germany. If students are good, they won't have any problems solving the problems or answering the questions and get in. The way this system is it's made to be taken advantage of.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:46 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
To be honest IMO it would be better if colleges had entrance exams like they do in germany. If students are good, they won't have any problems solving the problems or answering the questions and get in. The way this system is it's made to be taken advantage of.
Exactly what kind of "problems" do you suggest?

Old 04-05-2019, 10:19 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Exactly what kind of "problems" do you suggest?
math problems, physics problems, chemistry problems, etc, depending upon the field the applicant choses.

problems solving exams apply however to exact sciences. Look how they do it in Germany!
How they do it in Math olympiads (competitions) etc... that kind of problems! where you prepare a lot to be able to solve it.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:25 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
math problems, physics problems, chemistry problems, etc, depending upon the field the applicant choses.

problems solving exams apply however to exact sciences. Look how they do it in Germany!
How they do it in Math olympiads (competitions) etc... that kind of problems! where you prepare a lot to be able to solve it.
You do understand that people study more than STEM correct?

Old 04-05-2019, 10:53 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
It was not only the wealthy who sent their kids to college in the past. My grandparents had five children - four of the five graduated from a small Methodist college with high academic standards, located in their home town, to which my grandparents moved when my mother, their youngest child, was five, knowing that if they wanted to send their children to college, living in a college town would be the best route, as the children could live at home.

My grandfather was a farmer. My grandmother sold eggs and boarded college students to supplement the family's income. The older children also chipped in (my oldest aunt was twelve years older than my mother, so was around thirty when my mother began college). The family was never wealthy and sometimes struggled to get by - but they managed to educate their children.

Each of my grandparents had a couple of years of college themselves, though neither graduated (no idea why - no one is left to ask). My grandmother taught school prior to her marriage. My grandfather was a reader and had a creative, inventive mind - were he one of my own generation, he probably would have been an engineer.

It worked. Four of the five graduated from said college, three were teachers, the fourth a junior high school principal. All four went on to acquire master's degrees in their fields, at their own costs, during the summers when they were not teaching. All of my cousins and I have at least some college, and many of us have post graduate degrees. The same expectations are there for my cousins' children and grandchildren, with similar results. No one is rich in my family, though several are comfortably well off.

Family values (and family expectations and history) have a lot to do with whether or not kids go to college - and those values often have little to do with family income or wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education