Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 04:06 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,410,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Jesus Christ, my dude, go to a school board meeting with your accounting proposal. Posting about it in every thread here isn't helping.

If school boards are so useful why are so many people all over the US complaining about education?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 04:20 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,082,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
If school boards are so useful why are so many people all over the US complaining about education?
So what you are telling me is that you don't actually care about putting ideas into practice?

Old 04-26-2019, 04:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Interestingly debatable.

Is Education a Fundamental Right?
The history of an obscure Supreme Court ruling sheds light on the ongoing debate over schooling and immigration.

Just because the courts have recognized students' First Amendment rights, it doesn’t follow that students have other rights. Do students have Fourth Amendment protections against “unreasonable searches and seizures”? Do they have Fifth Amendment protections against self-incrimination? Do they have Eighth Amendment protections against “cruel and unusual punishment”?

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...damental-right
The constitution of every state guarantees a free public education. There is nothing in the federal constitution about education.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:51 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,432,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The constitution of every state guarantees a free public education. There is nothing in the federal constitution about education.
I'm sure this gets "interpreted" as the state simply not being allowed to directly mail a bill to the families with charges for "TUITION".

School supplies, field trips, science projects, lab fees, certain exams cost the students per attempt. A lot is a la carte.

I'm surprised my parents weren't more outraged when letters were circulated at open house asking students to bring items such as Kleenex, dry erase markers, and copy paper! It's bad enough the school is asking teachers to pay for their own work supplies, but it's DISGUSTING to ask your STUDENTS for it.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:03 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,082,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I'm sure this gets "interpreted" as the state simply not being allowed to directly mail a bill to the families with charges for "TUITION".

School supplies, field trips, science projects, lab fees, certain exams cost the students per attempt. A lot is a la carte.

I'm surprised my parents weren't more outraged when letters were circulated at open house asking students to bring items such as Kleenex, dry erase markers, and copy paper! It's bad enough the school is asking teachers to pay for their own work supplies, but it's DISGUSTING to ask your STUDENTS for it.
So you are in favor of tax hikes? I'm on board but it's a hard thing to get people to rally behind.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:37 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,432,574 times
Quote:
So you are in favor of tax hikes? I'm on board but it's a hard thing to get people to rally behind.
This was supposed to be why NC finally got on board with a state lottery. We have teachers statewide marching on May 1 at our state capital for raises, and to overturn a decision to stop offering teachers access to group health coverage after retirement (for those hired after 2021).

Old 04-26-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
So what you are telling me is that you don't actually care about putting ideas into practice?
The Internet provides the means to put "education" into practice without the so called professionals.

This is a perfect example of how well they handle technology:

The LA School System's $1.3 Billion iPad Fiasco Comes to a Sad End

https://gizmodo.com/the-la-school-sy...-to-1733569377

Old 04-26-2019, 08:56 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Jesus Christ, my dude, go to a school board meeting with your accounting proposal. Posting about it in every thread here isn't helping.
I agree...said that months ago. One trick pony. American education is, to some extent, a democracy. If you can't sell your idea to the general public, you're dead in the water...and often should be.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:58 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
1. It doesn't matter. It's the way education is designed in this nation. Learn to live with it.

2. Why are people complaining? There are things to complain about, for sure. But also, since everyone went to school, everyone thinks they're an expert on schools.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. It doesn't matter. It's the way education is designed in this nation. Learn to live with it.

2. Why are people complaining? There are things to complain about, for sure. But also, since everyone went to school, everyone thinks they're an expert on schools.
With the Internet why do we need to care about any "Official Design"?

If anything part of that design is to produce people subservient to authority.

Now students and parents can decide what they want to learn outside the system and give the minimum of lip service to the system. How much of that design comes from 1892?

https://sudburybeach.wordpress.com/2...mittee-of-ten/

Of course that was before Einstein came up with Relativity and most high schools still teach sciences in the sequence, Biology, Chemistry, Physics. It was also before photosynthesis was figured out.

How about Newtonian Physics, Chemistry, Biology and then Einstienian/Quantum Physics?

But now grammar school kids can watch videos about all of that on Youtube. And get computer science.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNN_tTXABUA

I did not get an explanation that good in college or from IBM. I had to solder together my own computer in 1978 to understand what was really going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education