Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 07:01 AM

624 posts, read 762,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmium View Post
Nope. The idea of standing around in an uncomfortable suit with a bunch of people that I hated while listening to awful music doesn't sound like a good time to me.
My feelings exactly!! I’ve always had more ‘avant-garde’ taste in music from my peers, that was one of the main things that kept me from the prom. Class of ‘76 here, I can only imagine the drecky music they played, lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 07:07 AM

624 posts, read 762,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Hell yeah I went to my Senior Prom! This was a one time event I was not about to miss with my HS buds. I recall getting to the Prom around 10-ish. One of the first things I did was to get with a few of my buds and smoke a couple of Big Bamboo blunts in the rest room, just as we'd done dozens of times in our old school. Here we were, smoking one of our last blunts together, when suddenly, our Music Teacher walked in. It was Prom night. We weren't the least bit concerned about what he thought. To our surprise, he took several hits with us. Given his reaction, we could tell this was something he was not accustomed to. Still, sharing the moment with us was well appreciated.

After the blunts, I made my way to the dance floor and danced Salsa with a girl I liked who'd graduated 2 years prior. She seemed amused by my interest in "an older" chick. Nothing came of it. But we both enjoyed the few songs we danced to.

Around 2am I went home only to awaken at 7am in order to make it on time to my College Entrance exam at 8am. I lacked sleep and was a bit hung over.

Exam results? I was accepted into a "privileged" university in the Metro area.

The year? 1978

I often feel as though I'm wrapping my arms around The Memories which, to this day, often cause me to smile.

Haha! You and I would have been good friends back in the day! Class of 76 here!

Old 06-09-2019, 12:11 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I guess it's all a matter of perspective, but I don't see the bitterness you're talking about.
Some posts bare a thread of sadness or regret. A bit unfortunate given that prom is normally the closing of one of life's chapters, followed by the opening of another. But hey, life moved on for us all regardless of whether we disliked or fondly remember prom night.

What I find difficult to understand is how some
"hated" HS classmates. Hated? Really? Sure, there's always been those few less-than-desirable types. I don't recall hating people in HS. Disliking? Absolutely! But hating? Nah! It may have had something to do with the awesome mellowing powers of that great 70's weed!

Old 06-10-2019, 04:49 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
My school's inaugural junior prom (after over 50 years of existence) took place my junior year in the school cafeteria. I passed and am not disappointed that I did.

I did go to senior prom (held here: https://russosonthebay.com/). Overall, I'm glad I went, but it was something that I could have saved time and money on.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:09 AM

99 posts, read 56,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
What I find difficult to understand is how some [/i]"hated" HS classmates. Hated? Really? Sure, there's always been those few less-than-desirable types. I don't recall hating people in HS. Disliking? Absolutely! But hating? Nah! It may have had something to do with the awesome mellowing powers of that great 70's weed!

I guess hate is a strong word, but I definitely did not have a good history with most of the people I went to school with and about the last thing I would want to do is spend time around them when I wasn't forced to.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:00 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
This thread reminded me of a funny thing about our Senior prom. the student advisory board liked to think big. the original prom was going to be aboard a chartered 747 circling Chicago. Tickets were about $300 this was 1981 so about $843 in today money. when they only had about five people who wanted to go, they realized they could never meet the minimum number of payers for the idea to work so they had it elsewhere. I do not remember where it was since I did not go (per my prior post), but the tickets were about $30 and that may have been per couple.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:00 AM

80 posts, read 32,854 times
I did, but did not have a particularly good time. Dressing up was not my thing - I learned a bit over the years, but still not excited about it - and I was anxious the whole time. I had no problem making friends in high school, but all I remember about prom is being weird.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:07 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,655,075 times
Never really went to dances, but did go to senior prom. She actually was dating somebody from another school, but went with me when I asked...were really just friends from class....really cool gal! Just rented a tuxedo, picked her up in my Honda Accord (no limo). Stopped at her house...she had like 8 brothers...of course all were there along with the parents. I was REALLY nervous...couldn't seem to pin the corsage on her dress, so put it on her wrist. They took some pictures. Was at a Marriott in town...cool music then back in the 80's...was fun dancing. Not many friends back then, but did see a buddy of mine and his date dancing, so we danced next to them all night long was fun!! Didn't make any moves on her (was really naive/awkward back then)...do remember her kissing me when I dropped her off in the car! A wholesome, fun night...wasn't going to go (like a lot of my buddies), but glad I did!

Old 06-11-2019, 11:03 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Prom was prom.

You either had a "date" (slim pickin's in a small private school) or you went with a friend from home or you went by yourself or you went with a group of your date-less friends.

Lots of fun no matter which way it ended up.

We dressed up for school every day, and had the bar/bat mitzvahs and wedding-ish sweet 16's to dress up for, but prom was the most fun to get dressed up for.

My oldest (now 20) went to both of his proms with his HS girlfriend.

My middle just went to his Jr. prom with a friend of his (If we don't have anyone else to go with by prom bid cut off date, we'll go together). They had a blast. NYC skyline in the background of his pics.

I picked him up at 5am, at the school, because the "after prom" is at a recreational center where the kids change out of their prom-wear and play laser tag, video games, hit balls in the batting cages, VR games, eat pizza and snacks, etc. The limo/bus takes them to the prom, then to the "after prom" then back to the school parking lot.

You make it what you want to.

You can be all "poor me" or you could go with it and not only have a good time? But also make some great memories.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:15 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
I went, and I enjoyed it. I was kind of in-between. I hung out with people from all crowds.

I think I wore a tux like coat from Chess King or something like that. I actually still have the shoes I wore. I could not let go of them. I looked like something from an 80s hip hop video but on the milder less ostentatious side.

There was a girl that I liked, and she liked me too. Her friend told me over and over that this girl wanted me to ask her to prom. The problem was she was in the popular crowd (I was definitely not in the popular crowd), and she was the recent ex of a good friend of mine who was on football and baseball teams. That was breaking guy code so I just sat on it. Bros before...

I still had no date for prom. I wanted to ask some female friends to go just as pals, but I had waited too long. But I had connections. Through another buddy I managed to get a date with a girl from a nearby high school who was a model. Oh yeah. I later found out that the models ex boyfriend used to date the girl that wanted me to ask her to prom.

I still had fun just being there and mingling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education