Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 01:39 PM

346 posts, read 237,908 times

Advertisements

If so, what did you wear and did you enjoy it? I did for both and remember them being pretty fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 01:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Didn't go, don't regret it.

To do over again...

I would have created a benefit program and free 'resort' meal, Prom tickets, partners, and gowns for all who didn't get invited, or could not afford, but wanted to go. (I was working 3 jobs so could have afforded this for classmates).

I am so glad some areas do this.

For me HS was the worse time of my life, followed imediately (within 3 weeks) by 32 yrs of hxll, losing our ranch and caring for a disabled parent.

But there were a several really sweet 'somethings' who should rightfully had an excellent, fun, special time at prom (if that is even possible in HS).

I did bother to go to a 45th HS reunion. My assurance; "I'm glad I didn't get stuck in HS as many still are stuck there" (Same friends, same bad habits, same cliques, same town, same street, same jobs, different waist line!)

Old 05-25-2019, 02:17 PM

810 posts, read 872,213 times
I'm definitely not the same person because the idea of a prom now fills me with angst. The junior prom I attended with my then boyfriend. The only thing I remember is a long blue dress and getting my hair stuck in electric rollers which I didn't know how to use.

There must have been an expectation that we attend these things because I also dimly remember going to the senior prom. Different boyfriend from another school. I remember we left the venue (neither of us enjoyed dancing) and ended up walking all around the harbor at night.

I loved high school and did not love college. Still not keen on dancing.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:06 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,090,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Didn't go, don't regret it.

I am so glad some areas do this.

For me HS was the worse time of my life,
I did bother to go to a 45th HS reunion. My assurance; "I'm glad I didn't get stuck in HS as many still are stuck there" (Same friends, same bad habits, same cliques, same town, same street, same jobs, different waist line!)
I agree. I did not go, did not want to go, and did not even think of going. High School was a very bad time for me. I skipped Graduation too, and I do not regret skipping either the prom or the graduation.

I have never been back to a reunion and keep up with very few people I knew growing up. So no regrets.

I did attend a college graduation, wished I had skipped that too. I have no "mementos " of high school...no class ring, no graduation invites, no diploma, no pictures....And I am glad, because I want nothing to remind me of it.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:28 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,767,068 times
Junior. Graduated a year early so didn't have a Senior.

Wore a classic horrid pale yellow, velvet lapel tux of the kind that were buried at sea after about 1979.

But I did take the gorgeous sister of the biology teacher, and got a pretty fair kiss even though we weren't remotely dating or anything. And, of course, he would have killed me. Slowly.

Last edited by Quietude; 05-25-2019 at 05:22 PM..

Old 05-25-2019, 04:47 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,968,766 times
If so, what did you wear and did you enjoy it?

1. attended as a Junior, since the Juniors did all the decorating (work), so...i had to be there. i wore work clothes.
2. did not attend as a Senior. i was "done" with HS by February and looking forward to college.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:33 AM

290 posts, read 250,332 times
Our principal was a strict Baptist* and a preacher, and thought dancing was sinful. So we weren't allowed to have a prom or any gathering that included dancing.

*I have no idea if that's a typical Baptist belief, but that's how he felt about it.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:56 AM

4,868 posts, read 6,932,069 times
Junior year several friends and I had our own party and frankly got hammered. At the late night movie at the local theater we were, to say the least, disruptive. It was some of the most out of control laughing I've ever done.

Senior year I decided to darken the door of the gym to see what it was all about and I noticed a junior girl there that was surprisingly without a date. She was a sweetheart and a good friend of mine so I asked her if she wanted to dance. We ended up dancing the rest of the night and had a good time. It was fun for me and I know it made her night too as it was a bigger deal for the girls than us guys.

Although I had a pretty good class that got along pretty well, there really wasn't any girls in it that I necessarily wanted to date. I don't regret that.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:10 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Did not go, never cared for such events.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:17 AM

88,594 posts, read 84,838,467 times
I never went to a prom. No one wanted to date me in high school. Back in the 70s, you didn't get to go to the prom unless a boy asked you. A few bold girls might have begun to ask boys, but it was still rare, and groups going uncoupled the way they do now was not yet in practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education