Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 10:30 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,176,383 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for examples of high performing non-magnet k-12 public schools in the US where the student body is majority black and/or Hispanic. I had tried to find a few using greatschools and other websites to search a few upper middle class African American/Hispanic neighborhoods but no luck so far. If you don't know any off the top of your head can you suggest areas where I should be able to find such schools?

Old 08-18-2019, 11:38 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,776,763 times
Here in NYC consider:
—Manhattan Center for Science and Mathematics, East Harlem
—Medgar Evers College Preparatory, Crown Heights Brooklyn
—Manhattan Village Academy, Chelsea
—Columbia Secondary School, Harlem

All are majority black/Hispanic, regularly send kids off to top colleges and universities. They don’t admit by test only, like Stuyvesant or Hunter, but do review kids academic records and state test scores. All are heavily oversubscribed and tough to get into—and tough to graduate. Medgar Evers and Columbia are 6-12 schools. The other two are 9-12. Probably a handful of others here, but these are the ones I know of.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Here in NYC consider:
—Manhattan Center for Science and Mathematics, East Harlem
—Medgar Evers College Preparatory, Crown Heights Brooklyn
—Manhattan Village Academy, Chelsea
—Columbia Secondary School, Harlem

All are majority black/Hispanic, regularly send kids off to top colleges and universities. They don’t admit by test only, like Stuyvesant or Hunter, but do review kids academic records and state test scores. All are heavily oversubscribed and tough to get into—and tough to graduate. Medgar Evers and Columbia are 6-12 schools. The other two are 9-12. Probably a handful of others here, but these are the ones I know of.
All of these schools have admissions processes and are 'magnets' by my definition. I'm looking for schools that accept all kids within their attendance zones.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:06 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
This might address your question.

Apparently these schools are called "Gold Medal Schools" - a category of public schools that are high achieving, and populated predominantly by minority students.

Hard to tell how many are academies, or who have an application process.

https://www.usnews.com/education/blo...taged-students

edited to add: I looked through the list in this article, and as far as I can tell, none of them are traditional neighborhood schools serving all kids within a geographic boundary around the school.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:19 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,915,097 times
Garfield HS in Seattle is a hybrid magnet & neighborhood school with all courses open to any attending student - i.e. students magneting in are not segregated into a self-contained program. Students residing within the geographic zone are guaranteed admission, while students from the rest of the city may attend Garfield if they qualify for the Highly Capable cohort (top 2%), since 1979. The school is located in Seattle's historically Black Central District neighborhood which is has gentrified considerably, but as yet the school is still majority minority.

We moved our kids from a private school across the country explicitly to attend Garfield in Seattle. It is a rare school with top-notch academics/arts/athletics programs and a student population drawn from all races and SES groups.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...h-school-21149

Old 08-19-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Garfield HS in Seattle is a hybrid magnet & neighborhood school with all courses open to any attending student - i.e. students magneting in are not segregated into a self-contained program. Students residing within the geographic zone are guaranteed admission, while students from the rest of the city may attend Garfield if they qualify for the Highly Capable cohort (top 2%), since 1979. The school is located in Seattle's historically Black Central District neighborhood which is has gentrified considerably, but as yet the school is still majority minority.

We moved our kids from a private school across the country explicitly to attend Garfield in Seattle. It is a rare school with top-notch academics/arts/athletics programs and a student population drawn from all races and SES groups.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...h-school-21149
Garfield High's black + Hispanic students only add up to 33% of the total student body, so it doesn't really fit my criteria. I know Asians are considered minority in this kind of survey but for the purpose of this thread I'm excluding them.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:56 PM

123 posts, read 101,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
can you suggest areas where I should be able to find such schools?
I know data can be downloaded from the California Department of Education which shows percents of whites, blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Islanders, etc along with, API data. With that, you could sort on the highest API for a given percent of a race. The only drawback is these data are only for one state. Each state probably have similar data files to download. Maybe the US Dept of Education has data files of the the aggregate of states' data.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:02 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,915,097 times
Oh I see. In Seattle's school district, Hispanic and Black students combined represent only ~30% of the entire student population.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:48 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaminade View Post
I know data can be downloaded from the California Department of Education which shows percents of whites, blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Islanders, etc along with, API data. With that, you could sort on the highest API for a given percent of a race. The only drawback is these data are only for one state. Each state probably have similar data files to download. Maybe the US Dept of Education has data files of the the aggregate of states' data.
Note: the State of California stopped using the API as a benchmark in 2017. It's now called the Dashboard

https://www.cde.ca.gov/re/pr/api.asp

Old 08-19-2019, 06:54 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,997,230 times
Many of the public schools in Gwinnett County, Georgia, fit your criteria. Archer High, Duluth High, Collins Hill, Dacula High. In the City of Atlanta Public Schools, Grady High and North Atlanta High are high achieving, majority black/latino schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education