Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 03:26 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,354,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Actually, that might make more sense for your first year of college, so that you can see whether or not your job will lead to a tolerable lifestyle, before you invest 4 years of education into a degree that basically locks you into a career for life.
I'm not sure whether it should be the first year or not, but an undergraduate degree should teach you what it feels like to work in academia and research... This is generally attained in a decent undergraduate program today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 07:33 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
I'm not sure whether it should be the first year or not, but an undergraduate degree should teach you what it feels like to work in academia and research... This is generally attained in a decent undergraduate program today.
Although most people will be working in industry rather than academia and research. Maybe what is needed is to show both early on.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:00 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Actually, that might make more sense for your first year of college, so that you can see whether or not your job will lead to a tolerable lifestyle, before you invest 4 years of education into a degree that basically locks you into a career for life.
To the contrary, it's not the degree which locks someone into a 'career for life', it's one's mode of thinking as well as a lack of education and/or application.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
To the contrary, it's not the degree which locks someone into a 'career for life', it's one's mode of thinking as well as a lack of education and/or application.
Then please tell me what other career options I have if my civil engineering career fails, which do not involve going back to college. Thank you.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:43 AM

118 posts, read 55,409 times
If it isn't taught in school then self-educate yourself. How much time do you spend outside of education/work to actually work on growing your skills?

We live in great times, where we can access so much free information (for those that have money issues) online, libraries, online courses, videos, workshops etc.

A lot of the posts I have read, and the things listing are all available online go read a book, listen to an audio, watch a video and master the area in which you are willing to learn. There can only be so much taught in schools and it is 'standard education'.

What you put in, is what you will get. We all have 24 hours a day, what you choose to do with your time determines the outcome of your results.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:51 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,354,389 times
Quote:
Although most people will be working in industry rather than academia and research. Maybe what is needed is to show both early on.
Yes, but college is for academia and research. For industry jobs, use the appropriate mechanism... whether it's trade schools, professional training, or whatnot. We don't want to dilute academic programs.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:21 AM

24,471 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
One thing I always hated about college and the working world is the HUGE disconnect. One sitting in a classroom all day and being graded, the other working with co-workers, having a boss, and being judged on your skills. Night/day difference.

How WORKING at a job feels like. I wish colleges required the entire last year as working at a paid job related to your major.

That is what internships are for and HS work programs. some European countries offer dual programs - work and school.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:40 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Then please tell me what other career options I have if my civil engineering career fails, which do not involve going back to college. Thank you.
Why do you believe you will fail? Are you currently enrolled?

Old 06-28-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Yes, but college is for academia and research. For industry jobs, use the appropriate mechanism... whether it's trade schools, professional training, or whatnot. We don't want to dilute academic programs.
So you are saying that the vast majority of us should not go to college?

Old 06-28-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Why do you believe you will fail? Are you currently enrolled?
I’m an adult who is working and I graduated from college decades ago. I did really well in school but I have been struggling with my career all my life, and I am worried that eventually I will end up unemployable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education