Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 11:24 AM

8,711 posts, read 3,893,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I’m an adult who is working and I graduated from college decades ago. I did really well in school but I have been struggling with my career all my life, and I am worried that eventually I will end up unemployable.
Life lessons aren't taught in school; they're learned through experience - education simply provides a better foundation for those 'life lessons'. If you have 'struggled' for decades (or don't like your career), why haven't you done anything to change it/pursue another job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 11:36 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,325,215 times
What I learned in high school and college could fit in a thimble compared to what I've learned since then. Here's what I wish they taught me;

Tax law
first aid and basic medicine (knowledge of over the counter medication)
Office politics
Basic auto maintenance
Fiat cash management
Investing
Fire arms training
Emergency management

These are just some of the subjects that should be taught. I have become proficient at all these no thanks to formal education. All of these have been critical to having a productive life.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:04 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,684,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
What I learned in high school and college could fit in a thimble compared to what I've learned since then. Here's what I wish they taught me;

Tax law
first aid and basic medicine (knowledge of over the counter medication)
Office politics
Basic auto maintenance
Fiat cash management
Investing
Fire arms training
Emergency management

These are just some of the subjects that should be taught. I have become proficient at all these no thanks to formal education. All of these have been critical to having a productive life.
Many people are graduating from high school with limited reading, writing, and math skills. By math I mean basic arithmetic, not calculus. The students who do well in high school and want to go college to become doctors, scientists, researchers, etc. must take as many advanced math and science classes as possible. What do you suggest dropping so that these classes can be taught?

Old 06-28-2020, 12:56 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,942,890 times
Life Lessons are not academic learning.

Your education is never complete. Determine to live fully and continually learn. Prepare for what life has to teach by being open to the lessons in everything you do and experience.

Don't allow the voice of your fears to be louder than the other voices in your head. Make sure the voice of reason, the voice of belief, the voice of confidence are all strong enough to drown it out.

A good reputation is more valuable than money. Your reputation is built on the foundation of your character; it entails the words you speak and the actions you take. Take care of your character above all other things and your reputation will take care of itself.

You never really lose until you stop trying. The words I can't never accomplish anything. I'll try, on the other hand, can perform wonders. Until you try you don't know what you can do.

Your thoughts are powerful, make them positive. To have a life that's more abundant and more successful, you must think in the limitless terms of abundance and success. Thinking is among the greatest powers we possess, and it's our choice to use it negatively or positively.

Preparation is a stepping stone to success. As the old saying goes, failing to prepare means preparing to fail. Success can be defined as being totally prepared.

Those who seldom make mistakes seldom stumble upon new innovation. Mistakes are proof that you're trying, creating, exploring and discovering. Every success story, every fulfilled life needs mistakes. We may think of mistakes as meaning you've done something wrong, but in truth they mean you're doing something right.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:11 PM

12,869 posts, read 9,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Then please tell me what other career options I have if my civil engineering career fails, which do not involve going back to college. Thank you.
Project Management. We hire a lot of General Engineer 801s in gov for example. These can be filled by any engineering degree because what we're looking for is people with experience who can lead and integrate a team of multiple engineering and science disciplines to accomplish big projects. After a certain level it's not about whether someone can design a structure or piping or electrical system, but can they integrate all those components into an aerospace facility for example. I'm trying to hire a General Engineer right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Yes, but college is for academia and research. For industry jobs, use the appropriate mechanism... whether it's trade schools, professional training, or whatnot. We don't want to dilute academic programs.
That's way too limited a perception of what college does. A good college will provide training in how to do research. I look for it all the time in resumes and interviews. It's actually surprising to me how many colleges don't teach solid research methods.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:13 PM

3,151 posts, read 1,609,609 times
Negotiating skills.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:28 PM

12,869 posts, read 9,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Many people are graduating from high school with limited reading, writing, and math skills. By math I mean basic arithmetic, not calculus. The students who do well in high school and want to go college to become doctors, scientists, researchers, etc. must take as many advanced math and science classes as possible. What do you suggest dropping so that these classes can be taught?
It wouldn't be that hard actually to bring these back into school. Most used to be taught prior to the "college for everyone" mantra in most schools. A semester or two of shop and home ec covers most of the topics Garthur listed. Many schools used to have Rifle Team which taught firearms safety.

If you really need to find things to drop, well there's Art for one. Econ could spend more time on personal finance. And I'd seriously look at changing the requirement for four years of English/Lit/Language Arts/Whatever-they-call-it-now down to just three years. EGADS! I can hear the screams now. But seriously, do students really need 13 years of it? By that time if they don't know it, senior year isn't going to fix the previous 12 (k-11).

And, before things spin even more, I'm neither anti education or anti college. Science is what I do. Daughter is a physicist, son is current in college. My point isn't that we don't need college prep; rather much of what schools focus on isn't what's needed to prepare students for college or for the working world. By changing the high school curriculum, we'd actually better prepare students for what comes next.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:33 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,325,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I'm not suggesting dropping any of the current classes, I'm suggesting to add these classes and extend the school year because it's not news that college graduates are not equipped to handle the real life working world. Or they could take my recommendations and add one class each semester and not extend the year.

Old 06-28-2020, 07:29 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,058,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Life lessons aren't taught in school; they're learned through experience - education simply provides a better foundation for those 'life lessons'. If you have 'struggled' for decades (or don't like your career), why haven't you done anything to change it/pursue another job?
What career can I switch to that would not involve going back to college?

Old 06-28-2020, 07:30 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,058,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Project Management. We hire a lot of General Engineer 801s in gov for example. These can be filled by any engineering degree because what we're looking for is people with experience who can lead and integrate a team of multiple engineering and science disciplines to accomplish big projects. After a certain level it's not about whether someone can design a structure or piping or electrical system, but can they integrate all those components into an aerospace facility for example. I'm trying to hire a General Engineer right now
That is the worst possible career for me. I have zero experience, skills, or interest in project management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education