Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 03:53 PM

3,788 posts, read 5,327,781 times

Advertisements

My state said they will announce their decision at the end of July. They gave three options that are being examined:

1. School completely online (not likely since some children did not transition well).

2. Some days online, some days in class. Likely with staggered schedules, like Group A online M and W, in class Tu and Th. Group B alternates. Something like that.

3. In class with split schedule. Half the students in an early shift (half day) and the other half in the late shift. Some high schools have done this in the past when the student body got too large while waiting for a new high school. My wife did split shift back in her high school daze.

Basically, any in-class sessions will have half or less of a normal group to allow some distancing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 03:59 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
What’s worse... keeping our kids out of school or continue to send them where liberal teachers are teaching them to hate America and all that it stands for... beginning at the elementary level?

Old 07-07-2020, 04:02 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
What’s worse... keeping our kids out of school or continue to send them where liberal teachers are teaching them to hate America and all that it stands for... beginning at the elementary level?
This is NOT the political forum. BTW, I see you don't live in the U.S.

Old 07-07-2020, 04:27 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
This is NOT the political forum. BTW, I see you don't live in the U.S.
I am a dual citizen and still maintain a residence in the US and I am a registered voter.
Sorry but it’s the liberal teachers who are making it political in schools “everyday”. That being said... I will bow out of the thread. Peace!

Old 07-08-2020, 02:59 AM

142 posts, read 71,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
Because if people are staying home with their kids more and working less (or not at all), then paying property taxes (or other municipal taxes) is going to be tough. Paying for the schools and other town/city expenses is going to be tougher.

[s]Not to mention[/s] People will also have less money to buy things... and it snowballs from there.

There are political ramifications, as well, with the driving question about how best to mitigate the ensuing lack of financial movement in the economy.

Am I making sense?!
But in my case, I don't work.. so nothing would be a problem! The parents are at fault

Old 07-08-2020, 03:08 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,906,520 times
Some schools across the US will open in the Fall for in-class instruction, for taxation and economic reasons. Thousands of children will get sick, and many will die. Then the schools will close and only offer remote learning. That’s what is going to happen.

Old 07-08-2020, 04:39 AM

2,299 posts, read 1,520,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
My state said they will announce their decision at the end of July. They gave three options that are being examined:

1. School completely online (not likely since some children did not transition well).

2. Some days online, some days in class. Likely with staggered schedules, like Group A online M and W, in class Tu and Th. Group B alternates. Something like that.

3. In class with split schedule. Half the students in an early shift (half day) and the other half in the late shift. Some high schools have done this in the past when the student body got too large while waiting for a new high school. My wife did split shift back in her high school daze.

Basically, any in-class sessions will have half or less of a normal group to allow some distancing.
Our state resumed in May with something like option 2. So the grandchild in a public school went just one day a week. The one in a private school in Year 3 went every third day. The one in kindy was able to go full-time as they deemed them the ones missing out the most.

It was all so dreadful that the government brought everyone back full time two weeks early. But this was when we had a very low number of cases.

But I think it is either safe or it is not. Little kids cannot social distance. Older ones should be able to.

Old 07-08-2020, 06:02 AM

15,429 posts, read 7,487,193 times
This is a huge problem for single parent situations, where there isn't a parent who doesn't work, or who can stop working.

Old 07-08-2020, 06:54 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
This is a huge problem for single parent situations, where there isn't a parent who doesn't work, or who can stop working.
my sis took her kids to all her BSN nursing program classes (they learned a lot, have great jobs and Phds as adults)

Our homeschool group 'kid shared' for divorcees and widows (ers).
Many singles do the 'Work from home', or night shift employment. (farm kids out for their sleep time)

Old 07-08-2020, 07:32 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,626 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
There are 24 hrs in a day.

Millions have handled this for many generations; (Our extended family has done BOTH *(Worked FT and educated their own kids)/ (4) were FT public school teachers FT + home educators + parents + active community volunteers
You Can Have a Kid or a Job. You Can’t Have Both. Wrong... very simple... Just Do It. Family first!

Why in the world would someone consider THIS!
""does your government have a plan for what to do?""

Since when has the government been knowledgeable, or responsible for how to raise and educate our families?

Better to think and act like the Russians, Chinese, or North Koreans... (Our government is NOT our friend, and certainly not our 'family centric' friend!) Big advantage to KNOWING and acting on that fact.
I'm trying to understand this dynamic. Who was the full time caretaker of the children while the parent was the full time classroom teacher?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education