Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 08:24 AM

544 posts, read 716,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
OP, why do you have a problem with people recognizing and celebrating the kid's success?

I don't see it as success. 20 AP classes, seriously! I find it annoying when I see kids in some kind of race to adulthood. Nearly always it's overbearing parents behind such academic extremism.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:32 AM

12,110 posts, read 23,311,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
I don't see it as success. 20 AP classes, seriously! I find it annoying when I see kids in some kind of race to adulthood. Nearly always it's overbearing parents behind such academic extremism.
20 classes over what period of time? My daughter has some disabilities and she prides herself on her academics because that is what she can excel in. I agree that kids should be allowed to be kids but, without knowing the story of this kid, it sounds like you are simply projecting your own bias.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:39 AM

544 posts, read 716,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
20 classes over what period of time? My daughter has some disabilities and she prides herself on her academics because that is what she can excel in. I agree that kids should be allowed to be kids but, without knowing the story of this kid, it sounds like you are simply projecting your own bias.

Seems like you are one of those folks who can't say it's a duck if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.. This story I posted is just an example of many kids engaged in this academic extremism. Surely you are aware of this growing trend?

Old 07-29-2021, 08:49 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,693,031 times
Quote:
Seems like you are one of those folks who can't say it's a duck if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.. This story I posted is just an example of many kids engaged in this academic extremism. Surely you are aware of this growing trend?
A friend’s kid is doing a few AP courses independently while in 10th grade. My friend and her husband let her child decide what he wants to do on his own. He is very motivated and academically focused, so she supports him in his desire to achieve academically. If kids excel in sports, I don’t see how it is any different. Not all children are going to athletically inclined or be some sort of musical prodigy.

Old 07-29-2021, 09:05 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,202,570 times
Quote:
In my local paper I read about a kid who took 20 AP classes! He wrote a bunch of apps and did scientific research with some megacorps. Isn't he being robbed of his childhood? To me it seems he is just doing things his parents have pressured him into doing because it will look "good" for college admissions.

And these apps and research are stuff that most adults could do in a few days/weeks. Nothing groundbreaking about them. So why are kids like this pushed to be like adults instead of being kids? And why do colleges like this when it's obvious parents are pushing them to do this?
Some kids are self motivated. The kid you read about might well be one of those. You are making assumptions about someone you do not know.

If he is taking AP classes, he is not a child. He is a teen. Neither you, nor we, can assume he has been robbed of his childhood.

Old 07-29-2021, 09:50 AM

8,096 posts, read 7,467,481 times
Quote:
Sounds like you have unresolved issues. And without knowing anything specific about a kid you read about in a newspaper, that kid's life is none of your business.

Old 07-29-2021, 09:51 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,361,496 times
Because “society” hopes the innate traits these overachieving kids display through their achievements - whether wholly self-driven, wholly in response to external influences, or a combination of both- will eventually benefit “society” in one form or another.

Whether individual people, or the kids themselves, view it as something to look up to (i.e aspire or deem beneficial in and of itself) is another matter.

Old 07-29-2021, 10:15 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,248,025 times
Exceptions apply, but I bet these overachieving kids are more likely to become the future movers and shakers than the dregs of society.

Old 07-29-2021, 10:38 AM

19,865 posts, read 18,144,412 times
Quote:
The growing trend is really bright kids have more and more options over time. Bits like - AP, early college, Davidson Academy for The Highly Gifted in person or online, dual-credit, local private schools, Johns Hopkins CTY, G&T programs within schools, magnet schools, skipping grades, Harvard Summer School for high schoolers etc. If this kind of thing bothers you get used to it and expect more and more.

Old 07-29-2021, 10:58 AM

12,110 posts, read 23,311,870 times
Quote:
I am very aware of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education