Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 07:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
This is so funny, too, because remember when Six Feet Under came out? I mean, shocking, we were actually talking about death on television. I thought it was so well done and began to think that was something I might be able to do.
In their worst hour, for many, people need a steady, empathetic hand. someone to guide them through the process of a ceremony to say goodbye to a loved one. What greater gi(ft) could you give someone than to help them through their grief, at least in the beginning stages.

Great suggestion mogul dreamer!!!
as is Funerals.coop (For this type of work / expense / career / guidance)

All kinds of Viable options.

(I'm an international co-op developer in my free time... helping individuals, communities and businesses help themselves, and each other)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2021, 07:42 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Sounds like you'd be happy in a field where you can move around, be outdoors. You know what came to mind? Surveying. That can pay well, you can intern and it could possibly be government (think roads/highways).

Also, if you're good with money, you're probably a numbers person. I think you should look into it!

Best wishes and don't forget there's always hope. Don't worry about that lazy teenager. She's gone. Today is all you really need to worry about. Start here.

Old 01-02-2022, 06:24 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
I tell people this same thing all of the time. If you don't know what you want to be when you grow up, get a full time job and go to community college for the first 2 years (at night if you have to) and try different things because it is cheaper to do so. Then, transfer to a 4 year school for your junior year. Before you begin, find out from the 4 year college if they will take your transfer credits. Usually, a state university is more likely to take them from a state community college.

1) You will save yourself or your parents some money if you drop out.
2) Your 4 year diploma does NOT say you did your first 2 years at community college.
3) Community Colleges usually do a better job of accommodating adult learners with their course scheduling.
4) Your freshman year is Intro to This and That in both CC and the 4 year school.
5) It's easier (my opinion only) to get into the 4 year university of your choice as a junior than as a freshman because of the dropouts in the 4 year school (less competition for admittance).
6) You will have real working experience when you graduate, something your college peers may lack.
7) Your classes may be smaller in the community college and you might get taught by people with actual working experience in the subject matter than some professor whose classes are taught by grad students because his/her priority is research not teaching.

I did this and graduated with zero student debt although it did take me a little longer to graduate. I also changed my major. I worked full time while doing this and I did it not because I needed a job but because I needed a 4 year degree to advance in my job with the same employer. I was offered a new job with the same employer in a different location and for more money during my last semester at college. The new job allowed me to finish my last semester before I reported. I moved on Graduation Day.

Old 01-15-2022, 08:05 AM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I'm pretty sure the Peace Corps has rigorous standards and not just any old hippie or lay-about can join.
It takes at least a year to get into the Peace Corps and yes, they have rigorous standards (may have been relaxed a bit in recent years). They want people with a college degree, if possible, or at least well into college. Getting in is VERY intensive, paperwork wise. You have to submit every single medical record and other records as well. My dad went in at age 78 -- it had always been his dream to do so, and he was free at that point. He was one of the oldest. Well, he finally got all the stuff together and was accepted.

He was in for a year when they sent him home due to a minor health issue. What he said though was that it can be a very frustrating experience. You're usually taking over a project that was already initiated. His was frustrating because not much progress if any had been made in the 2 yrs prior to his taking over. He said that the countries where Peace Corps goes are much more slow moving than Americans are accustomed to. So I would think hard and long about the Peace Corps, especially since it is a 2 yr commitment. The friends you make while in are for life, though. My dad still keeps in touch with several of them (it's been 23 years - yes, he's ancient).

Old 01-15-2022, 08:29 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
how about bookeeping?
or proof reading.
or short order cook?

Short order cook??????? Now there's a job with a career track!

Old 01-18-2022, 11:55 AM

29 posts, read 18,803 times
Try something new and be sure to go on vacation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education