Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 08:23 AM

102,200 posts, read 107,842,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiervix View Post
Dang, I didn't expect so many responses!

I had enrolled in cooking classes because of loving so many cooking shows, also loving the conceptualization behind each meal and how food is art in a sense and also how food is the heart of different cultures. I did quite well in my cooking classes actually, but it's everything else, the general classes I had to take that bit me in the butt(although I did good in this interpersonal communication class). I took business math and it was so hard that I took it twice and failed. I also switched to an graphic design major for a semester and hated it, I thought I would like it cause I am an artsy person, but the programs were confusing to me. I didn't want to switch, but I couldn't afford a dorm at that time and my schedule didn't work around the times of the cooking classes. I wish I just went to a different college, grrr. Just wasn't good at concentrating either, was scatterbrained and would stress out about being so scatterbrained and that would make things even worse.

I don't really wanna work with people lol, I could if I had too but I'd prefer animals or objects.

Outside the office.

I'd like something that combines hands on stuff and intellectual things, not social skills.

I like reading and rearranging items, not so much math problems.

Thank you I would have more if I didn't have to pay back my student loans
Interior decorating? But that involves math, because you have to work within people's budgets, and calculate the cost of the decorating materials, furniture, etc.. IDK if that would involve full-blown "business math", which sounds like more of a Business Administration topic, like for people planning to run a big company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2021, 08:49 AM

178 posts, read 115,849 times
Quote:
I had enrolled in cooking classes because of loving so many cooking shows, also loving the conceptualization behind each meal and how food is art in a sense and also how food is the heart of different cultures. I did quite well in my cooking classes actually, but it's everything else, the general classes I had to take that bit me in the butt(although I did good in this interpersonal communication class). I took business math and it was so hard that I took it twice and failed. I also switched to an graphic design major for a semester and hated it, I thought I would like it cause I am an artsy person, but the programs were confusing to me. I didn't want to switch, but I couldn't afford a dorm at that time and my schedule didn't work around the times of the cooking classes. I wish I just went to a different college, grrr. Just wasn't good at concentrating either, was scatterbrained and would stress out about being so scatterbrained and that would make things even worse.

I don't really wanna work with people lol, I could if I had too but I'd prefer animals or objects.

Outside the office.

I'd like something that combines hands on stuff and intellectual things, not social skills.

I guess I am reading this through the lenses of my experience with my daughter. She is about to finish high school. She loves cooking. In the last week, we've tried her: Indian butter chicken, Japanese Katsu curry, Korean bbq beef, blueberry cobbler, tuna sashimi, and for Xmas dinner she is making Louisiana's crawfish étouffée.

Yet, if being asked if she wanted it as a profession, she firmly answers "no". She clearly separates cooking hobby from cooking profession. - I am not sure I can see in your writing if you thought about the profession after the college? About being in the back of the kitchen of a restaurant day in and day out? Not so much creating but being able to cook/assemble whatever is being yelled at you?

She is not particularly attracted to math, neither. But, maybe because she sees IT people in her family who are constantly programming, she keeps at it and keeps at it (and re-schedules exams when she fails, even though it's caused her to delay graduating).

She is also an artsy person who actually draws with hands and with programs... Since she started drawing daily since 2 years old, we can say she's had 16 years of experience.

She is also better with a smaller group of people, not so much being in front of customers.

And yet, and yet. With these her 2 hobbies in mind (cooking and art), when I ask if she considers taking college programs in these areas (for drawing, that would have been "3D animation and Computer Generated Imagery"), she just wants to go to a plain computer science program in a college. I suspect that she wants to know how programming works, and then maybe still apply her drawing skills in creating video games...

But, this is just our singular experience. With you having already drawn some clear lines between what you like/dislike, I would suggest to set appointments and speak to college counsellors (whatever they are called in colleges, maybe "individual help"). I discovered way past my need that universities have staff to specifically help people either not knowing what to do, or not knowing how to get prerequisites, or not knowing how to overcome previous failing, or not knowing different paths in the education system, or not knowing how to deal with being "scatterbrained"... Those would be the best people for you, at this junction of your life. (And don't just go to one college counsellor, go to several, shop around).

Old 12-24-2021, 08:55 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Quote:
Dang, I didn't expect so many responses!

Outside the office.

Thank you I would have more if I didn't have to pay back my student loans
How about a technical school, for something like a veterinarian technician? Or maybe library related. There is comfort in orderliness and something like a library would fit the bill.

Old 12-24-2021, 10:18 AM

9 posts, read 5,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
I would take concrete, organized steps that are likely to end up leading towards a career path that is likely to earn you more money than you are currently making. A driver's license is a skill that would be useful for many jobs, so I would suggest putting that at the top of your priority list, unless public transportation is extremely good where you live.

You mention you might enjoy working with animals. Is being a veterinary technician something that would interest you? What do you see yourself doing in a creative field as a job? As far as an internship in a foreign country that you need to pay for... that might be a step to consider at some point down the road if several conditions were met. If you had figured out a new career you wanted to train for, passed your classes, and then this internship was likely to lead to paid job opportunities after completion, then perhaps it would be a solid plan. But if you don't really know what you want to do at this point, and this internship you have to pay for isn't going to lead to a good paying job at the end, then I kind of agree with your dad. I think you need to sit down and figure out what your next immediate steps look like.
It's not good xD. So fair game.

Hmmm, I think a vet tech could be interesting, I was picturing myself working with marine life, something that helps with conservation or somewhere at a zoo. Creative job wise, I think of glassblowing and being a barista that makes cute latte art. I love collages, if that sparks any ideas for work. Also, this was the internship program that I thought looked interesting to me if anyone has thoughts on it. I was thinking interning would be a good college alternative for someone like me:

https://maximonivel.com/

Old 12-24-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Your stories have more holes in them than Swiss cheese.

You said you took cooking classes in college, what else did you take? Did you graduate from college? Did you take some gen ed classes and find something that piqued your interest there? If not is the military an option for you? What about the Peace Corps as others have said? When you say foreign internship in what area are you thinking of doing it?
I took the basic stuff like English and Math, also interpersonal communication and a history class. Nothing super interesting in there, but in high school I was really big on foreign language, I took German and Latin with German being my best subject. Military, ehhh, it sounds too rigorous to me and I am not an athlete at all. The fields it in don't really interest me either. I like the sound of Peace Corps a lot, I'm reading up on it, I do see a lot of requirements though. For interning, I mainly like the sound of doing something environmental related, and yeah mostly with animals but agricultural stuff and the ocean interests me too.

Old 12-24-2021, 10:56 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,500,041 times
Quote:
Hmmm, I think a vet tech could be interesting, I was picturing myself working with marine life, something that helps with conservation or somewhere at a zoo. Creative job wise, I think of glassblowing and being a barista that makes cute latte art.
If you think you would enjoy being a barista, that might be something you could train for now. I'm guessing lots of places are looking to hire.

Veterinary tech is a job that is really in demand at the moment. There is a nationwide shortage in the US.

Old 12-24-2021, 11:00 AM

178 posts, read 115,849 times
Quote:
working with marine life, something that helps with conservation or somewhere at a zoo.
The first two involve attaining degrees (Marine Biology, or Ocean and Coastal Engineering, or Aquaculture, or Oceanography, or Environmental Science, or Nonprofit Management, or Marine Archaeology, or Aquatic Animal Health and Veterinarian, or Photography). Like I said, talk to guidance counsellors at colleges, who know the multitude of paths for any dream you may have.

The last one, "zoo", could be less involved educationally if you are ok joining as a technician (basically a cleaner/feeder).

Quote:
Creative job wise, I think of glassblowing and being a barista that makes cute latte art.

this was the internship program
If I am not mistaken, you've mentioned that you don't like working with people? A barista is not only a people-facing job, it's also verging on a being a free community psychologist. The internship is teaching English, that is, a very people-oriented job.

Quote:
this was the internship program that I thought looked interesting to me if anyone has thoughts on it. I was thinking interning would be a good college alternative for someone like me:

https://maximonivel.com/
The internship is to teach English in Latin America. What kind of skill will you arrive back with, that would be useful? People teach English in different countries, and sometimes cannot get out of *that* rut, since back home they are back to the same question: "What to do? What skills do I have?" -- sometimes that pushes them go back to those countries, to keep doing the one thing they know how to do.

As much as seeing this glossy website instinctively warned me that it would be costly, it is surprisingly not. $1.5-2K for 4 weeks and $2-3K for 8 weeks. You've already said that you've saved 4 times that. As an adult, you don't need permission of anyone to spend this money, if that's what you want to do.

But it is strange, as people usually leave to teach English in other countries to make money, not to pay money. This is where the attached strings are, in this particular case (they are going to make money off of you, not the other way around).

Last edited by Bruegel; 12-24-2021 at 11:27 AM..

Old 12-24-2021, 11:41 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,376,773 times
Vet tech sounds good- I think a 2-year program in community college possibly.

I was (briefly) in Peace Corps in Haiti during a very bad time and it wasn't the career path I hoped for. However, there is no question that there is a great deal of people contact- it's the major part of any PC assignment. I think people without degrees can go if significant work experience.

Re "lazy" in high school- sounds like OP was and is in depression and that likely needs treatment and consideration before any path works. Best wishes to OP.

Old 12-24-2021, 12:18 PM

24,513 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Start with a driver's license.

Old 12-24-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruegel View Post
The first two involve attaining degrees (Marine Biology, or Ocean and Coastal Engineering, or Aquaculture, or Oceanography, or Environmental Science, or Nonprofit Management, or Marine Archaeology, or Aquatic Animal Health and Veterinarian, or Photography). Like I said, talk to guidance counsellors at colleges, who know the multitude of paths for any dream you may have.

The last one, "zoo", could be less involved educationally if you are ok joining as a technician (basically a cleaner/feeder).

If I am not mistaken, you've mentioned that you don't like working with people? A barista is not only a people-facing job, it's also verging on a being a free community psychologist. The internship is teaching English, that is, a very people-oriented job.

The internship is to teach English in Latin America. What kind of skill will you arrive back with, that would be useful? People teach English in different countries, and sometimes cannot get out of *that* rut, since back home they are back to the same question: "What to do? What skills do I have?" -- sometimes that pushes them go back to those countries, to keep doing the one thing they know how to do.

As much as seeing this glossy website instinctively warned me that it would be costly, it is surprisingly not. $1.5-2K for 4 weeks and $2-3K for 8 weeks. You've already said that you've saved 4 times that. As an adult, you don't need permission of anyone to spend this money, if that's what you want to do.

But it is strange, as people usually leave to teach English in other countries to make money, not to pay money. This is where the attached strings are, in this particular case (they are going to make money off of you, not the other way around).
I saw some vet tech and hospitality internships on there, as well as some customized ones. Cause yeah, I'm not really interesting in teaching that much. I could be a technician, everyone's gotta start somewhere after all.

Lol yeah, I did say that. I work a pizza job right now, btw. I like the concept because I'm a huge coffee person and when I go out for coffee I like coming up with creative flavor combinations, like making things that taste like candy bars or come out a certain color or that are themed after a concept. I've been researching vet tech positions, it's a pretty good idea me thinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education