Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 06:54 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
People in the public sector retire at 55 with a pension and cheap health insurance for life. People in the private sector don’t retire until death.

My job pays less than a public sector job and it’s not a retail or customer service job.
Do you mind posting what you do (somewhat detailed, not just job title) and most importantly, level of responsibility ($$ responsible for, number supervised, etc) and I'll translate that to what GS level we would have where I am? Number of years is less key than duties and responsibilities. I know you're in Civil Engineering but trying to get a handle on where it compares to the GS scale. Then you can compare that to what you're paid. I won't ask how much, you can do the comparison yourself.

I can provide this much from just what we know. If you were a new graduate, with a high GPA, we'd bring you in as a GS-7, roughly $45K to $50K (rest of US pay scale for comparison purposes). With a lower GPA, it would be as a GS-5, roughly $36K-$39K. With a potential for an engineering bonus depending on need.

On the positive, if you were a high potential candidate, in a high need area, we could bring you in on a ladder position which has built in promotion point over the first few years as you move from trainee to journey skills. That's to provide some compensation for the fact that our entry salaries don't compete with industry. On the negative, if it's not a high need area, you could be in a position that you have to compete for each promotion level (from GS-7 to GS-9 and so on with other applicants) which limits upward mobility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2022, 07:12 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
What was this thread about again?

LOL

Old 10-30-2022, 08:18 AM

899 posts, read 671,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What was this thread about again?

LOL
I started a thread over in retirement about working and retiring, public vs private...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/reti...l#post64368154

Old 10-31-2022, 03:17 AM

2,299 posts, read 1,521,375 times
Well, to turn it back to education, today the results of our Australian standardised primary and high school tests were released. Called NAPLAN. The results were substantially the same as in past years so the fears that Covid would have a major impact were not realised.

Of course, our ratings on international testing go down year by year, especially compared to our Asian neighbours.

Old 10-31-2022, 10:42 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Well, to turn it back to education, today the results of our Australian standardised primary and high school tests were released. Called NAPLAN. The results were substantially the same as in past years so the fears that Covid would have a major impact were not realised.

Of course, our ratings on international testing go down year by year, especially compared to our Asian neighbours.
That's interesting. I wonder why the large disparity in results between the US and Aus.

Old 10-31-2022, 03:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,717 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's interesting. I wonder why the large disparity in results between the US and Aus.

()

Old 10-31-2022, 04:07 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,152,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Do you mind posting what you do (somewhat detailed, not just job title) and most importantly, level of responsibility ($$ responsible for, number supervised, etc) and I'll translate that to what GS level we would have where I am? Number of years is less key than duties and responsibilities. I know you're in Civil Engineering but trying to get a handle on where it compares to the GS scale. Then you can compare that to what you're paid. I won't ask how much, you can do the comparison yourself.

I can provide this much from just what we know. If you were a new graduate, with a high GPA, we'd bring you in as a GS-7, roughly $45K to $50K (rest of US pay scale for comparison purposes). With a lower GPA, it would be as a GS-5, roughly $36K-$39K. With a potential for an engineering bonus depending on need.

On the positive, if you were a high potential candidate, in a high need area, we could bring you in on a ladder position which has built in promotion point over the first few years as you move from trainee to journey skills. That's to provide some compensation for the fact that our entry salaries don't compete with industry. On the negative, if it's not a high need area, you could be in a position that you have to compete for each promotion level (from GS-7 to GS-9 and so on with other applicants) which limits upward mobility.
Whoa, that explains why my new Civil Engineering grad said no thanks to the feds and got a job in the private sector.

Old 10-31-2022, 04:11 PM

749 posts, read 852,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Made my day

Old 10-31-2022, 08:29 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Whoa, that explains why my new Civil Engineering grad said no thanks to the feds and got a job in the private sector.
But the feds are supposed to be so overpaid and underworked.

Old 11-01-2022, 10:43 AM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
https://www.axios.com/2022/10/12/act...niors-covid-19

The pandemic closures caused a MESS.

This is the first cohort that had 2 whole years disrupted by Covid. I expect this is going to get worse before it gets better.
I don't know what it was, but it wasn't just closures, because states that did not close schools had similar drops in scores to those that did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education