Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 03:15 PM

539 posts, read 2,102,136 times

Advertisements

This story is spreading world wide quickly. Dr. Phil has contacted the mother of this boy to ask for an interview.

In the latest news story Police report reveals teacher's side of incident in which boy 'voted' out of Port St. Lucie class : St. Lucie County : TCPalm the officer who interviewed this little boy talks about what Alex had to say, "I asked (Alex) what the students said, and he said the students said he eats paper, picks boogers and eats them on top of the table and bites his shoelaces," the report said. "He told me Mrs. Portillo said, 'I hate you right now. I don't like you today.'"

The Early Show did an interview with Alex and his mom, you can watch the video here, Kindergartner Voted Out By Students, Outraged Mom Of Special Needs Son Talks Exclusively With The Early Show - CBS News

Last edited by cool_mommy; 05-29-2008 at 03:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 04:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I don't know what could be more clear about saying this is not a situation 5 year olds should have had any part in. The teacher should have taken it upon herself to reslove it in a way that took into account the best interests of all the kids. That may have meant the child leaving the classroom.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:05 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_mommy View Post
These children are 5 years old! Suppression of feelings of victimization? When was there any mention of this child making anyone feel victimized?
The boy had been disrupting the class with behavior problems over time. Read hypocore's post to get an idea of what this is like for the other kids in the classroom; the kids hypocore spoke of cowered in the classroom every time their classmate erupted. That is not at all unusual in cases like this.
//www.city-data.com/forum/3921037-post57.html

If you believe that 5 year olds can't feel victimized, then that would apply to the boy in question, as well. Clearly that isn't the case, as he feels badly about his classmates not liking his disruptive behavior and stating such. 5 year olds can and do feel badly about an adverse environment.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent
This may not be a well-received concept, but some of them will be empowered by learning that they don't have to shut up and suffer an adverse environment in silence because some people's rights have been elevated over others.
This entire statement is ludicrous, the children are five years old!
Kids should never just shut up and continue to suffer under a documented adverse environment, even 5 year-olds.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:44 PM

539 posts, read 2,102,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The boy had been disrupting the class with behavior problems over time. Read hypocore's post to get an idea of what this is like for the other kids in the classroom; the kids hypocore spoke of cowered in the classroom every time their classmate erupted. That is not at all unusual in cases like this.
//www.city-data.com/forum/3921037-post57.html

If you believe that 5 year olds can't feel victimized, then that would apply to the boy in question, as well. Clearly that isn't the case, as he feels badly about his classmates not liking his disruptive behavior and stating such. 5 year olds can and do feel badly about an adverse environment.

Kids should never just shut up and continue to suffer under a documented adverse environment, even 5 year-olds.
Well, I am not going to go back and forth on these points. First of all I never said that five year olds can't feel victimized. I just don't believe there are victims in this situation, other than the boy in question. I have read hypocore's post and if you read my other posts you would see that I TOO have experience in classrooms. I don't know where you get the idea that (children cowering in the corner) "this is not at all unusual in cases like this". Have you worked in a classroom? Have you worked in a classroom with children with special needs? I have not worked in the aspect of teacher but rather as a paraprofessional. I know exactly how another child's behavior can affect the other children in the classroom. I never stated that children should "shut up" and continue to suffer. This child is being tested for Asperberger's Syndrome. Once he has been diagnosed he will have a team put in to place for his benefit. Such a team will consist of teachers, parents, a social worker, child psycholgist and administration. They will come up with the appropriate EIP and chances are he will spend time in a "normal" class room. This is a normal practice for children with behavioral disorders. Children need to learn tolerance and patience just like everyone else. As I said before, this child will not grow up to become an adult living in a bubble with others who share his fate. He will live in a world filled with many individuals who have their own crosses to bare. It is important to assimilate children early while dealing with their disorders on a personal level as well.

The bottom line is the teacher (I use this term loosely) should have dealt with this matter without involving the other students. She made a terrible error in judgment and should pay the price.

As I stated before I don't wish to go back and forth with you on these points. Let's have this conversation after you have worked in a classroom, preferably one that includes special needs children.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:57 PM

And for God's sake, no one said it was OK for the child to behave as he did. But 5 year old children should not, I repeat NOT, be involved in the discipline. NOT, NOT, NOT!!!

Old 05-29-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_mommy View Post
First of all I never said that five year olds can't feel victimized. I just don't believe there are victims in this situation, other than the boy in question.
That would be an incorrect assumption.

Quote:
I have read hypocore's post and if you read my other posts you would see that I TOO have experience in classrooms. I don't know where you get the idea that (children cowering in the corner) "this is not at all unusual in cases like this". Have you worked in a classroom? Have you worked in a classroom with children with special needs? I have not worked in the aspect of teacher but rather as a paraprofessional. I know exactly how another child's behavior can affect the other children in the classroom. I never stated that children should "shut up" and continue to suffer. This child is being tested for Asperberger's Syndrome. Once he has been diagnosed he will have a team put in to place for his benefit. Such a team will consist of teachers, parents, a social worker, child psycholgist and administration. They will come up with the appropriate EIP and chances are he will spend time in a "normal" class room. This is a normal practice for children with behavioral disorders. Children need to learn tolerance and patience just like everyone else. As I said before, this child will not grow up to become an adult living in a bubble with others who share his fate. He will live in a world filled with many individuals who have their own crosses to bare. It is important to assimilate children early while dealing with their disorders on a personal level as well.
...this should not be done with blind disregard for the other students' education and safety. Chronically disruptive students should not be placing other students in danger, or impeding anyone else's education.

Quote:
The bottom line is the teacher (I use this term loosely) should have dealt with this matter without involving the other students.
You seem to be eager to place him back in the 'bubble' by shielding him from the real world negative consequences of his actions.

Quote:
As I stated before I don't wish to go back and forth with you on these points. Let's have this conversation after you have worked in a classroom, preferably one that includes special needs children.
Your assumptions are totally incorrect. In my experience, all of the children suffer, including the disruptive student.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:23 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,999 times
this reminds me of the recent story of the autistic boy whose family was kicked out of church because the parents couldn't control him. they didn't want to take responsibility for his behavior, either. i think that's the reason some people are so eager to label their kids these days: give bad behavior a pseudo-medical diagnosis, and it ceases to be anyone's "fault."

this sounds like a teacher, at her wit's end, trying to find a creative way to teach this child how his behavior was affecting others. unfortunately, the method, and the lesson, were both completely lost on a five-year-old.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
this reminds me of the recent story of the autistic boy whose family was kicked out of church because the parents couldn't control him. they didn't want to take responsibility for his behavior, either. i think that's the reason some people are so eager to label their kids these days: give bad behavior a pseudo-medical diagnosis, and it ceases to be anyone's "fault."

this sounds like a teacher, at her wit's end, trying to find a creative way to teach this child how his behavior was affecting others. unfortunately, the method, and the lesson, were both completely lost on a five-year-old.
Oh, for crying out loud. Let's let everyone vote on who they want in their class. Maybe some kids will vote out the kid who always scores 100% on the tests. Maybe someone will be voted out for the clothes they wear, not "hip" enough. Maybe someone will be voted out for being too fat. And let's blame all the parents while we're at it. Exasperated? You bet I am!

Old 05-29-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, for crying out loud. Let's let everyone vote on who they want in their class. Maybe some kids will vote out the kid who always scores 100% on the tests. Maybe someone will be voted out for the clothes they wear, not "hip" enough. Maybe someone will be voted out for being too fat. And let's blame all the parents while we're at it. Exasperated? You bet I am!
I can understand you feel frustrated. It might be easier to understand how negatively a disruptive student can impact a class and terrorize other students if you've ever visited a classroom in which a student who had difficulty controlling his/her behavior and was mainstreamed in a regular classroom with a special needs diagnosis toppled desks and tables and threw chairs when he/she felt frustrated while the other children try to scramble and duck, and end up huddled together in a corner, crying. Or in another classroom in which a student who has difficulty controlling his/her behavior gets frustrated and shoves a classmate into a bookcase so hard that the classmate suffers a broken arm. I've dealt with the lingering effects of that and more, including disruptive students who because of a diagnosed disability couldn't handle frustration well and coped poorly by hitting, kicking, biting, and spitting at others.

Some of the disruptive students' classmates still suffer from PTSD years later because of recurring events like these that no one can prevent because the diagnosed disabled student is the only child in the classroom with legal protections and rights.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:15 PM

This is the last time I will say this. I do not necessarily favor keeping the child in the classroom. I have said this several times before, today. I do object to the teacher having the class vote the child out like a "Survivior" episode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education