Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2023, 01:25 PM

428 posts, read 225,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
Indoctrination like being allowed to read banned books or not being taught about the holocaust or other historical nightmares? The Civil lRights movement. Books about a black baseball player or Huckleberry Finn, books about black people, slavery, gays, the holocaust, etc.

OMG! What a horrible type of "indoctrination"! Talking about the truth of our history, and how people of color or gays have a tougher time of it than us heterosexual white folks.

CRT...
Do you know what it is? Here is a good explanation:

It's an academic program that looks at the way policies and laws uphold systemic racism. [/i]
Yes, that is a reality. But...
It is NOT taught in grade schools or high schools.

The right wingers have given it a new connotation, saying it teaches children to believe they are inherently racist. Not true. Though many or most of those people against CRT, ARE.

What is "systemic" racism?

Well for one, it is redlining.
What is redlining?
Redlining is a discriminatory practice in which services are withheld from potential customers who reside in neighborhoods that are not considered safe for businesses, etc.

Then there are systemic things like how police stop people for "driving while black", that type of prejudice and discrimination. Police unduly shooting black people.
Better we pretend that doesn't exist?

Systemic racism exists and if you were on the wrong end of it, you would want to do something about it.
But of course, YOU are not.

Oh! And let's not forget the evils of children being exposed to drag shows or men in drag or anything gay.

When I was young I saw those horrible tv shows and movies with Jack Lemmon, Robin Williams (Mrs. Doubtfire), etc... and tv shows like Bosom Buddies where Tom Hanks dressed as a woman! And of course MASH's "Klinger"!

Oh, the horror! LOL.
Exactly. Exposing our kids to such information is intended to arm them with knowledge so they are less likely to be indoctrinated. And folks who are actively trying to create a kakistocracy will do everything in their power to prevent such knowledge from being taught.

Old 02-13-2023, 03:56 AM

24,721 posts, read 9,524,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Slavery, Jim Crow and the civil rights movement should of course be taught in history classes.

But the idea that the United States is systemically racist and minorities are oppressed is a political theory.

That should not be taught in public schools. Or if it is, then it needs to be balanced by opposing points of view.
Correct. America was a slave country, with slave owning founding fathers and authors of the constitution, who fought the British to maintaining its slave country status.

BUT America also sacrificed 300K people to end slavery when they could've just allowed it to happen, allow the south to secede, or shipped every single slave back to Africa after the civil war instead of giving them the option to stay.

As a black man, I'm not systematically oppressed. No white man stopped me from serving in the military, finishing my degree, and getting a job. My company recruiter is white, my site lead is white, my program manager is white, if anything, I wouldn't be where I am if it wasn't for white people.

Everyone wants to blame white people for their problems but not their success stories.

Old 02-13-2023, 06:09 AM

13,666 posts, read 10,056,814 times
If state school systems weren't so flawed, there wouldn't be a need for home schooling, so no attraction to it. I'm not talking about their references, but all the general nastiness that goes on, and how it seems acceptable to have popular victims. My daughter is blind in one eye, has other health problems, is mixed race, and is repeatedly being singled out for mockery, by the teachers. Home schooling though, would stop her having good influences of some other children though, and cut her off from what's going on in the world.

Old 02-13-2023, 06:27 AM

19,888 posts, read 18,176,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
Indoctrination like being allowed to read banned books or not being taught about the holocaust or other historical nightmares? The Civil lRights movement. Books about a black baseball player or Huckleberry Finn, books about black people, slavery, gays, the holocaust, etc.

OMG! What a horrible type of "indoctrination"! Talking about the truth of our history, and how people of color or gays have a tougher time of it than us heterosexual white folks.

CRT...
Do you know what it is? Here is a good explanation:

It's an academic program that looks at the way policies and laws uphold systemic racism. [/i]
Yes, that is a reality. But...
It is NOT taught in grade schools or high schools.

The right wingers have given it a new connotation, saying it teaches children to believe they are inherently racist. Not true. Though many or most of those people against CRT, ARE.

What is "systemic" racism?

Well for one, it is redlining.
What is redlining?
Redlining is a discriminatory practice in which services are withheld from potential customers who reside in neighborhoods that are not considered safe for businesses, etc.

Then there are systemic things like how police stop people for "driving while black", that type of prejudice and discrimination. Police unduly shooting black people.
Better we pretend that doesn't exist?

Systemic racism exists and if you were on the wrong end of it, you would want to do something about it.
But of course, YOU are not.

Oh! And let's not forget the evils of children being exposed to drag shows or men in drag or anything gay.

When I was young I saw those horrible tv shows and movies with Jack Lemmon, Robin Williams (Mrs. Doubtfire), etc... and tv shows like Bosom Buddies where Tom Hanks dressed as a woman! And of course MASH's "Klinger"!

Oh, the horror! LOL.

Most of that is obfuscation and tactical denial.

Just look around, you'll find endless examples like this one.............

https://kesq.com/news/2022/03/28/crt...tially-biased/

or-

https://komonews.com/news/nation-wor...t-into-schools

or-

https://www.goldwaterinstitute.org/t...ornia-schools/

Redlining was literally invented and honed into daily practice by government workers under your likely hero, FDR - redlining was made policy in 1933/34 in something called, "The Underwriting Manual of The Federal Housing Administration." Redlining as you define it has been expressly illegal for decades.

The .gov and in particular The Federal Reserve, US Treasury, FDIC etc. have very specific fairness in lending rules in place. In hyper-generic terms lenders must make real and provable efforts that will be audited to market loans into poor areas. However, lenders cannot, with the exception of a few special programs, lower lending requirements per these areas.

ETA - this is likely paywalled and the author supports CRT but makes it plainly clear it was taught during her high school years.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...to-protesters/

Last edited by EDS_; 02-13-2023 at 07:04 AM..

Old 02-13-2023, 07:09 AM

27,662 posts, read 28,756,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Correct. America was a slave country, with slave owning founding fathers and authors of the constitution, who fought the British to maintaining its slave country status.

BUT America also sacrificed 300K people to end slavery when they could've just allowed it to happen, allow the south to secede, or shipped every single slave back to Africa after the civil war instead of giving them the option to stay.

As a black man, I'm not systematically oppressed. No white man stopped me from serving in the military, finishing my degree, and getting a job. My company recruiter is white, my site lead is white, my program manager is white, if anything, I wouldn't be where I am if it wasn't for white people.

Everyone wants to blame white people for their problems but not their success stories.
When I was going to school in the 70s and 80s, we were taught that black people gained greater and greater rights throughout the course of American history. Eventually, the civil rights movement of the 1960s made all Americans equal under the law and gave all Americans equal opportunities.

That was taught as the arc and progress of American history.

But now, we have these ideas about systemic racism, perpetual victimhood, never-ending discrimination and endemic white supremacy.

What happened over the last 40 years to bring this about-face in attitudes and perceptions about America?

Old 02-13-2023, 07:18 AM

17,650 posts, read 17,763,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

I served 8 years in the US Navy. We had some black guys (recent recruits) who believed USA was a racist country. Then they visited other countries. Not going to make the countries but there were places where they weren’t allowed into bars and night clubs while white sailors were, there were places where if the victim of a theft said an African man stole her purse then the police arrested all African men (and some African women who may appear manly) and hold them until the victim was ready to come identify the person she believed stole her purse, and places where the locals actively separated themselves from the black men on trains as they watched the black men wary of their potential behavior. When we went to North Africa they were under the impression that all of Africa was made up of black people. What they found were Arab people with a long and recent history of owning black people as slaves.

I’m Cajun and my ancestors suffered oppression in one way or another. In my grandparents era they were severely punished in school if they spoke French, the only language they knew, in school. The level of punishment depended on the teacher and if the student was a boy. Punishments could include open hand slap across the face, closed fist punch, or a whipping with belts or paddles. In 64 when my dad joined the Navy his fellow recruits and company commanders made him take off his shoes and socks because they heard Cajuns had webbed feet from living in the swamps for so long. When I joined in 1990 they thought this was my first time wearing shoes and walking on dry land. The Chinese and other immigrants also faced oppression. But most overcame the oppression, became educated, started businesses, ran for public office, and became part of the fabric of the community. So many other nations have 80 to over 90 percent of the nation as one ethnic group so it’s easier for them to get along until someone different arrives trying to live within their community. USA is different. For better or worse we live together with people of many different ethnic backgrounds. No nation is perfect.

Old 02-13-2023, 07:51 AM

8,110 posts, read 7,482,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
A few years ago, my son was in elementary school. One day, his teacher asked out loud in class "What do you think of the phrase Black Lives Matter?"

Immediately, several students said, "All Lives Matter!"

They had the right idea, as if by instinct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppyHeel View Post
Not by instinct, likely by hearing their parents repeat the phrase at home. Hopefully, the teacher is helping the students to develop critical thinking skills so they can develop an informed opinion of their own and not simply parrot phrases like that.
Kids internalize and repeat what they hear in school, at home, on TV, on social media, from their friends, and much more. Some of it is simple parroting and yes, they need to learn CTS (critical thinking skills) at school and at home.

The mere fact that they seem to feel empowered to counter an official slogan with an unofficial one, seems to indicate they are in fact learning CTS. The teacher should be proud.

Old 02-13-2023, 07:57 AM

8,110 posts, read 7,482,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I’m Cajun and my ancestors suffered oppression in one way or another. In my grandparents era they were severely punished in school if they spoke French, the only language they knew, in school. The level of punishment depended on the teacher and if the student was a boy. Punishments could include open hand slap across the face, closed fist punch, or a whipping with belts or paddles...

That's ironic considering that French is considered an elite language in many parts of the world. My brother-in-law grew up in a prosperous family in Haiti (his sister served as Prime Minister briefly) and they were physically punished as kids if their father caught them speaking Kreyol rather than French at home. The more we live the more we find out about the world, and especially that prejudice is universal.

Old 02-13-2023, 08:11 AM

5,956 posts, read 2,895,699 times
When one group pushes and pushes its ideology, stands to reason the opposite groups ideology will step forward.
You can decide yourself which is which,like what came first the chicken or the egg.

Old 02-13-2023, 09:20 AM

50,962 posts, read 24,459,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
If state school systems weren't so flawed, there wouldn't be a need for home schooling, so no attraction to it. I'm not talking about their references, but all the general nastiness that goes on, and how it seems acceptable to have popular victims. My daughter is blind in one eye, has other health problems, is mixed race, and is repeatedly being singled out for mockery, by the teachers. Home schooling though, would stop her having good influences of some other children though, and cut her off from what's going on in the world.
I'm curious -- what have you done about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education