Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2024, 11:55 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,216,444 times

Advertisements

I entered the Air Force as a young, uncertain kid at age 17. Most people can handle the discipline and rules without too much hassle. After Basic Training it gets a lot easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2024, 12:00 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheinSter721 View Post
They can throw money around.
Two posts and both about your parents money in derogatory terms. Maybe your son is interested in building his future on a solid education and not necessarily on which school will cost the grandparents the most.

Old 03-22-2024, 02:05 PM

5 posts, read 1,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Why. not look into a military camp - start off slow! If he likes a military camp, then look into military schools.

I search the internet and found

https://www.forkunion.com/summer/?ut...kaAjaBEALw_wcB

https://campsousley.com

https://www.summer-camp-mma.com

It might give him some direction before making a bigger commitment.
This is a good idea. I've heard really good things about MMA (sounds like they had issues in the past but a long time ago and positive word of mouth recently), so I may look at that summer camp.It was also sort of on our short list for him to attend.

Old 03-22-2024, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Two posts and both about your parents money in derogatory terms. Maybe your son is interested in building his future on a solid education and not necessarily on which school will cost the grandparents the most.
Just to be clear, I have used the phrase "f-u money" around my parents all the time and sometimes we laugh about it. If it came off as derogatory in the comment section without any context, I apologize to you and to them.

Old 03-22-2024, 03:51 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,728,481 times
If you are fine with it and the money is not an issue then [shrug] go for it. What's the worst that can happen? Your son figures out it isn't for him, lesson learned, and he transfers back to a more ordinary public or private HS.

This is not some irrevocable life decision. He's not actually signing up for a 4-year tour with the military. You can easily unwind it if things don't work out.

I'm not some great expert on military schools. But it seems like there are really two kinds out there. The kind that are basically prep schools but in uniform. And then the kind that are more or less reformatories for troubled youth. You definitely want to make sure you send your kid to the right kind.

Old 03-22-2024, 06:15 PM

4,849 posts, read 2,667,243 times
there is a guy over on you tube 'Combat Veteran Reacts' that does every other day updates on the war in Ukraine;;one of his videos I remember he talked about what a new young soldier should do to get ahead in the military without going to front lines..maybe you could ask him in comments section of his latest video which one it was..

Old 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM

4,849 posts, read 2,667,243 times
also maybe ask over in the military section..btw, props to your son,,he sounds like a fine young man..

Old 03-23-2024, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't understand this part: Does he have friends who want to go to military school? Or does he somehow imagine that the other students will become his friends? Is he ok with getting his hair cut into a military buzz cut?

Are your parents ok with the possible eventuality that he hates it, and decides he wants out?

Has he thought past military school, to what would be next? Is he interested in a career in the military? If so, he doesn't need to attend a military highschool to get a good career in the military. He could go to the military language academy in Monterey, CA, learn a strategic language (Chinese, Russian, Near Eastern langs., etc.), and graduate as an officer and get an overseas assignment. (If he's good at foreign languages.) There are other options as well. But maybe testing the waters at the highschool level isn't a bad idea.
Maybe should have rephrased, but he is referring to making new friends there. Which he will certainly be able to, he is a very social kid. He also knows that certainly at New Mexico Military Institute he will be getting a buzz cut first day, he says he's fine with it (surprising, he has surfer hair now).

I am not really sure if he will be pursuing the military after? We will definitly guide him towards applying to service academies or doing ROTC if he's interested, but again the military thing kind of came out of nowhere.

Old 03-23-2024, 08:12 AM

7,324 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheinSter721 View Post
Maybe should have rephrased, but he is referring to making new friends there. Which he will certainly be able to, he is a very social kid. He also knows that certainly at New Mexico Military Institute he will be getting a buzz cut first day, he says he's fine with it (surprising, he has surfer hair now).

I am not really sure if he will be pursuing the military after? We will definitly guide him towards applying to service academies or doing ROTC if he's interested, but again the military thing kind of came out of nowhere.
Just throwing it out there, my son attended a private all boys Catholic high school. Although, there were a couple of Muslim and Jewish boys. It was a more disciplined environment. The length of hair and the uniform was taken seriously. I think the absence of girls helped the boys formed friendships like a "packs."

He became a much more disciplined person from his high school experiences as did most of his classmates. Many of his classmates easily went into the armed services. My son was accepted into ROTC with a modest scholarship, however, he received better scholarships from non-ROTC schools.

Perhaps, your son is looking the kind of friendships developed in an all male environment and not necessarily the military.

Old 03-23-2024, 11:03 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,147,358 times
A friend of mine went to the New Mexico school.

He enjoyed it, and he wasn't a military fetishist AT ALL- he was an artist and his family had a tradition of armed forces service.

Brutal honesty, the all-male environment is good for young men- these days it seems like most teenaged males with promising futures ruin it all by impregnating the wrong woman, or doing all the wrong drugs on a school vacation trip. You get the idea.

Trust me, the only way to be successful is to be focused on personal goals.

I hope he has a wonderful experience. You will be proud of him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education