Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 04:54 PM

5 posts, read 1,516 times

Advertisements

As a backstory, my parents kind of have f-u money and willing to pay for my 14 year old son to basically any school he wants.

When my son found out, he says he really wants to go to a military school, which was surprising because his a long haired theatre type kid (also plays sports) who has never expressed interest in the military before. Although now he says he may look at a service academy for college.

When we grilled him a bit, he said he wants to attend because of leadership opportunities and the discipline... not necessarily for himself but he wants to be around others who are all disciplined and he's willing to roll with strict rules if that's the case. Also, he says he found videos online of them, and he says it looks cool to be able to live with his friends, he said it would be worth the haircut and uniform.

We've been actively looking at Culver and New Mexico Military Institute. Both real expensive, but also... I kind of feel like my parents aren't even going to the price.

So anyways, strange to have a son who actually wants to go to a military school and wondering if anyone knows anything about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 05:13 PM

1,197 posts, read 527,858 times
I don't know anything about military schools, but if he is a basketball fan, the Golden State Warriors newest rookie, Brandin Podziemski, says he was told if he had not gone to military school, he might have turned out bad (paraphrasing what he said).

He is extremely tough and disciplined, so it was really good for him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandin_Podziemski

Old 03-21-2024, 05:56 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheinSter721 View Post
As a backstory, my parents kind of have f-u money and willing to pay for my 14 year old son to basically any school he wants.

When my son found out, he says he really wants to go to a military school, which was surprising because his a long haired theatre type kid (also plays sports) who has never expressed interest in the military before. Although now he says he may look at a service academy for college.

When we grilled him a bit, he said he wants to attend because of leadership opportunities and the discipline... not necessarily for himself but he wants to be around others who are all disciplined and he's willing to roll with strict rules if that's the case. Also, he says he found videos online of them, and he says it looks cool to be able to live with his friends, he said it would be worth the haircut and uniform.

We've been actively looking at Culver and New Mexico Military Institute. Both real expensive, but also... I kind of feel like my parents aren't even going to the price.

So anyways, strange to have a son who actually wants to go to a military school and wondering if anyone knows anything about them.
What's f u money?

Old 03-21-2024, 06:37 PM

5 posts, read 1,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
What's f u money?
They can throw money around.

Old 03-22-2024, 08:45 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
This summer visit the US Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs.

I lived nearby for 40 years and I was continually impressed by their students.

Old 03-22-2024, 08:51 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Why. not look into a military camp - start off slow! If he likes a military camp, then look into military schools.

I search the internet and found

https://www.forkunion.com/summer/?ut...kaAjaBEALw_wcB

https://campsousley.com

https://www.summer-camp-mma.com

It might give him some direction before making a bigger commitment.

Old 03-22-2024, 09:03 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,524,546 times
FWIW, my son did ROTC in college. He lived on campus and came home at the end of each semester. Each time he came home, I noticed a marked level of increased maturity in him. He was better organized and seemed to make good use of his free time.

The ROTC tasked him with different challenges. It was a no nonsense environment where a few other students were dismissed due to behavior/attitude. The dismissal of the others left quite an impression on him that he better conduct himself in a lawful manner or else possibly face expulsion. A sort of scared straight program.

I'm sure my son would have reached his peak maturity on his own. I also believe his exposure to the military culture of the ROTC made that maturity happen a lot sooner.

I have to think that a military academy would instill the kind of behavior such as those gained by participating in an ROTC program.

Today my kid is a trilingual pilot serving overseas. And he's a mere 6 years away from retirement and still in his 30s.

Old 03-22-2024, 09:40 AM

2,281 posts, read 1,581,021 times
nothing wrong with the military or military school.
Your son wanting to be around others who enjoy discipline, structure, and objectives is a positive. It shows he wants to do right, has morals, wants to be part of team-based environment and will become a productive person in an otherwise declining rules and laws-based western society. Most college students are not getting this unless they're in sports.

Old 03-22-2024, 09:53 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
I don't understand this part:
Quote:
he says it looks cool to be able to live with his friends,
Does he have friends who want to go to military school? Or does he somehow imagine that the other students will become his friends? Is he ok with getting his hair cut into a military buzz cut?

Are your parents ok with the possible eventuality that he hates it, and decides he wants out?

Has he thought past military school, to what would be next? Is he interested in a career in the military? If so, he doesn't need to attend a military highschool to get a good career in the military. He could go to the military language academy in Monterey, CA, learn a strategic language (Chinese, Russian, Near Eastern langs., etc.), and graduate as an officer and get an overseas assignment. (If he's good at foreign languages.) There are other options as well. But maybe testing the waters at the highschool level isn't a bad idea.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-22-2024 at 10:26 AM..

Old 03-22-2024, 10:00 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
I did ROTC in college. Both my kids did JROTC in high school and youngest graduated USMA ('22). Don't know what grade he's in, but the service academies have a summer program for prospective attendees so they can get a feel for what life is like as a Cadet. https://www.westpoint.edu/admissions/summer-program

The youngest had been planning on ROTC and sort of applied on a whim and didn't expect to get accepted so he hadn't done the summer program. We could see the growth and maturity in him with each visit. I'm not sure he recognized it, but it was a natural fit for his personality. I think the hardest thing on him was actually the New York winter -- grey skies, grey trees, grey buildings, grey uniforms. Even the snow turned grey after it sat on the ground a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education