Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 07:37 AM

2,567 posts, read 1,902,952 times

Advertisements

College isn't for most people at all really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2024, 09:00 AM

51,465 posts, read 24,822,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
College isn't for most people at all really.
You're right. Clearly a majority of Americans are not capable of earning at least a bachelor's degree. I see them every day working construction, working retail, doing various forms of physical labor, and various trade jobs.

Old 05-23-2024, 10:31 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,898 posts, read 58,591,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You're right. Clearly a majority of Americans are not capable of earning at least a bachelor's degree. I see them every day working construction, working retail, doing various forms of physical labor, and various trade jobs.
How many of these 'lower class" dream job holders do you interview daily? (Zero according to your espoused knowledge and experience).

You are likely to find that plenty are college grads.
Many others are immigrants/ self funded current college students.

Judging by perception adds to errors in evaluating.

Profiling is unnecessary and very inaccurate and inappropriate to the 'educated' (?)

Just ask them, and learn of their personal history and life. Offer them a hand UP, rather than condemn them as 'uneducated',

Old 05-23-2024, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
How many of these 'lower class" dream job holders do you interview daily? (Zero according to your espoused knowledge and experience).

You are likely to find that plenty are college grads.
Many others are immigrants/ self funded current college students.

Judging by perception adds to errors in evaluating.

Profiling is unnecessary and very inaccurate and inappropriate to the 'educated' (?)

Just ask them, and learn of their personal history and life. Offer them a hand UP, rather than condemn them as 'uneducated',
The world according to Stealth Rabbit.

Anyone have a mirror Stealth Rabbit could borrow?

Old 05-23-2024, 03:08 PM

22,809 posts, read 48,102,434 times
Quote:
Clearly a majority of Americans are not capable of earning at least a bachelor's degree. I see them every day working construction, working retail, doing various forms of physical labor, and various trade jobs.
I know a couple in construction... he is an engineer and she is the accountant for their company.
People working retail often have degrees, or are working on them.
The owners of the landscaping company who just worked on my yard (yes, them, NOT their employees) have degrees in turf management and horticulture.

Clearly they ARE capable of higher education...

Old 05-23-2024, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I know a couple in construction... he is an engineer and she is the accountant for their company.
People working retail often have degrees, or are working on them.
The owners of the landscaping company who just worked on my yard (yes, them, NOT their employees) have degrees in turf management and horticulture.

Clearly they ARE capable of higher education...
Okay, but most people working in construction are not engineers...are they? I'm talking blue collar. "Construction industry workers were much less likely than the employed overall to have a bachelor’s degree or higher—17.9 percent versus 44.1 percent." About 18%.

Yes, some people in retail probably have degrees or are working on them. But what percentage of the people in retail do you think have college degrees?

"The owners of the landscaping company..." I'm not talking about the owners. I'm talking about the real workers.

Old 05-23-2024, 04:05 PM

5,605 posts, read 7,893,622 times
It depends upon where you go. If you go to college towns like Eugene, Boulder, or Madison you can find tons of PhDs and other highly educated people working as baristas or in bike shops, waiting tables, or construction because they got unmarketable esoteric degrees and don't want to leave their little academic lifestyle oasis.

Old 05-23-2024, 05:03 PM

Quote:

"The owners of the landscaping company..." I'm not talking about the owners. I'm talking about the real workers.
They ARE the “real workers”.

I clearly stared that in my post.

And, to make it even clearer, I’ll add that the employees are their wives. One does all the books, the other takes calls and gives estimates. Both ladies are college educated, along with being fabulous mothers.

Old 05-23-2024, 05:09 PM

Quote:

Yes, some people in retail probably have degrees or are working on them. But what percentage of the people in retail do you think have college degrees?
I don’t know… I would guess around one in five have degrees. And then there are those working towards their degree too.

Old 05-23-2024, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I don’t know… I would guess around one in five have degrees. And then there are those working towards their degree too.
I think you're arguing for the sake of arguing, or you're certainly missing the main point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education