Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 11:41 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,636,952 times

Advertisements

most of my students had parents who were illiterate in two languages. when wikipedia did their homework, they got F's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 06:14 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Revelated, It doesn't matter what the subject is, my amazement is that you thought it was okay to do the homework. If they don't understand the homework then they should be getting help from the teacher. Did you go in and take the test for them too? The message that you are sending to the kids is that 1) cheating is okay 2) they are obviously not very smart because they can't do their own work. If a child was placed in a certain level math class it's generally because they've shown that they could do the work. If that's not the case than doesn't the teacher need to know that?

My husband judges a regional Science Fair every year and the kids are individually interviewed to make certain that they are the ones that did the project. He has said that it's easy to see the ones that the parents did and the children just confirm that when they are interviewed. Personally, most of the HS projects are way above my ability level.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-08-2008 at 10:37 AM..

Old 07-08-2008, 08:23 AM

311 posts, read 1,058,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
3rd grade we went to a special ed private school and the school explicitly tells the parents do not do the kids homework - if they can't do it, write a note at the top so the teacher knows they need to re-teach or adjust the assignment. The child won't get a zero for not doing the work. It's much better. He's almost high school now and responsible for his homework and he does it. I email the teacher if he doesn't understand an assignment so it can be re-taught at school.
If only all teachers actually cared if the material was suitable and if their students were learning. I've had previous experiences with teachers that couldn't care less what the parents or students have to say.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:10 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
My husband judges a regional Science Fair every year and the kids are individually interviewed to make certain that they are the ones that did the project. He has said that it's easy to see the ones that the parents did and the children just confirm that when they are interviewed. Personally, most of the HS projects are way above my ability level.
I wish the schools would do that on the SCHOOL LEVEL. Then only kids that did the work themselves or for the majority of it would get qualified to go to district. As it is you can tell every year when the "winners" are displayed who won. I already know and can guess which parents, er, I mean "students" won their grade level Science Fair. I'd LOVE to see all of the parent done projects get thrown out in a heartbeat.

This next year our school is FINALLY going to do Accelerated Reader. My oldest did it at her school and LOVED IT! I'm dying to see how the parents at this other school adapt to it. They can't go in and take the tests for the kids. LOL!!! I'm willing to bet that by Christmas enough have complained about it that they make it where the kids can sign on at home so the parents can "oversee". I'll fight against that for sure.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:59 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I wish the schools would do that on the SCHOOL LEVEL. Then only kids that did the work themselves or for the majority of it would get qualified to go to district. As it is you can tell every year when the "winners" are displayed who won. I already know and can guess which parents, er, I mean "students" won their grade level Science Fair. I'd LOVE to see all of the parent done projects get thrown out in a heartbeat.

This next year our school is FINALLY going to do Accelerated Reader. My oldest did it at her school and LOVED IT! I'm dying to see how the parents at this other school adapt to it. They can't go in and take the tests for the kids. LOL!!! I'm willing to bet that by Christmas enough have complained about it that they make it where the kids can sign on at home so the parents can "oversee". I'll fight against that for sure.
Accelerated Reader is not all it is cracked up to be. It really limits the kids choices in reading. It's great for kids who don't already like to read, but not for kids who like having a choice in what they read.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:51 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Accelerated Reader is not all it is cracked up to be. It really limits the kids choices in reading. It's great for kids who don't already like to read, but not for kids who like having a choice in what they read.
My oldest had it at her G&T magnet, she is a HUGE AVID reader and she LOVED IT! She is actually happy her lil sis is finally going to have it. She never felt limited to what books she had to choose from. She just loved to read EVERY book.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:57 AM

I think AR is a good program because it motivates the kids to read more challenging books. I remember when my last child was in 4th or 5th grade choosing to read books based on their AR point level so he could either win some class contest or get done with the AR book list sooner. He was a good reader anyway but it still challenged him.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I think AR is a good program because it motivates the kids to read more challenging books. I remember when my last child was in 4th or 5th grade choosing to read books based on their AR point level so he could either win some class contest or get done with the AR book list sooner. He was a good reader anyway but it still challenged him.
I think it really depends on the school and the child. My oldest 2 kids were at the highest AR level in their school by the time they began 3rd grade. There were books that they wanted to read (some were not kids books) and they were stuck reading the stuff in the AR program even though they had read everything of interest to them. My kids were very advanced readers, capable of reading books intended for adults at a very young age. They also prefer non fiction to fiction and found the selection of non fiction books in AR limited.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:35 PM

The AR books never stopped my kids from reading what they wanted anyway. My older son (now an English major in College) just read the AR books because that's what the teacher wanted and read his own choices on the side. If a child is a prolific reader I don't think it matters too much, does it?

Old 07-09-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
The AR books never stopped my kids from reading what they wanted anyway. My older son (now an English major in College) just read the AR books because that's what the teacher wanted and read his own choices on the side. If a child is a prolific reader I don't think it matters too much, does it?
It depends on how much time they have to read. My kids play sports and take music lessons so between homework, sports practices, practicing thier instruments and reading what the teacher wanted them to read their time for reading was limited.

I feel the same way about required summer reading. I don't let them read their own choices until the summer reading stuff is done. So they procrastinate and wind up ONLY reading the summer reading stuff instead of reading a whole bunch of stuff of their own choosing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education