Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 06:59 PM

576 posts, read 1,818,876 times

Advertisements

Ironically, the original poster made a mistake in grammar.

We need to completely scrap and change our nation's education system.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Science is alright but again is rarely used unless you plan to go into medical school or be a medical tech.
I have to disagree with this though. "science" is such a broad term. There are several majors with the term "Science" in them, even. Science in the way most people would picture it has Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and even more related majors, like BioChem.

I'm in Computer Science, which most people probably wouldn't consider a science, but it is.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:19 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,770 times
Quote:
File this under "Who cares".

Quote:
I'm in Computer Science, which most people probably wouldn't consider a science, but it is.
Not in any real sense. The word "science" has more than one meaning, but computer science is not a science in the same sense that physics, biology etc are sciences. You for the most part don't use the scientific method in computer science, rather its more so applied mathematics. Computer science actually started in mathematics not to long ago, in fact many of the older professors have ph.ds in mathematics.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:58 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,641,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post

Not in any real sense. The word "science" has more than one meaning, but computer science is not a science in the same sense that physics, biology etc are sciences. You for the most part don't use the scientific method in computer science, rather its more so applied mathematics. Computer science actually started in mathematics not to long ago, in fact many of the older professors have ph.ds in mathematics.
I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I will point out that not everybody agrees with your conclusion:
Is Computer Science Science?
Computational Complexity: Is Computer Science a Science?
E.W. Dijkstra Archive: A few comments on "Computing as a Discipline" (EWD1043)

A lot of the discussion comes from that first link. A fair amount more was generated by this one:
See Jane Compute : Is computer science a science? (part 1)

Figure that the issue is not as open and shut as you might have assumed.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
This thread is about education, and English is definitely a part of that. So yeah. I wish there was a way to take away reputation.

Quote:
3. An activity that appears to require study and method: the science of purchasing.

It's definitely a science in this sense.

Last edited by tada; 08-15-2008 at 08:21 PM..

Old 08-15-2008, 10:16 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,878 times
Quote:
Too much emphasis on English, which isn't a bad thing but more needs to be placed onto other subjects.
Quote:
I do think they should tone down on English and focus more on teaching secondary research skills and writing solid essays skills.
Quote:
I might debate the English assertion, too, not because I think the emphasis is right, but because volume of attention to a subject is not the only issue. The direction of the emphasis is at least as important. How much grammar? How much drama? What stories? How much writing and of what type? Is spelling truly important in this day of spel chekers?
I freelance in grading essays for standardized tests from kindergarten to grad school entrance and let me tell ya, most of them are mediocre. I don't just mean from a grammatical standpoint either. What I've seen so far is that students K-3 do a fairly good job of writing a descriptive sentence with appropriate punctuation. Somewhere around 4-6th grades, there is a nosedive in the ability of these students to write a single coherent paragraph. (Anyone have a clue why?) High school exit exam essays are painful to read. They've been clearly taught the rules for writing an essay; an intro, 3-4 descriptive paragraphs, and a conclusion, but the grammar, cohesiveness, and coherence are seriously lacking. I can't help but wonder what the hell have they been learning for the last 12 years. Now whether or not one can or needs to write a persuasive argument once they enter the real world is debatable, but if one can't analyze a simple argument, how well are they going to be able to analyze complex problems in the soft sciences and even the hard sciences (not counting those that rely heavily on math). We still need people in those fields in our society. So yes, we need to make some serious changes. I think we need more emphasis on other subjects necessary for those not going to college to function in the real world. Serious modifications need to be made in what and how we learn English.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:03 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,868,235 times
After watching a documentary on the education system in China, I agree even more. High school kids go to school 7 days a week and get a 4 week break.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
It's definitely a science in this sense.
And so is Mathematics, Philosophy, Grammar and numerous other fields. The word is rarely used in this way today, so to say "computer science" is a science is misleading. Its not a science in the sense that physics, biology, psychology etc are a science. Clearly the word was being used in the latter sense in the thread so you are equivocating.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Figure that the issue is not as open and shut as you might have assumed.
Because some people are discussing it on the internet? Searching the internet and finding someone that disagrees isn't a good way to determine whether something is or isn't the case. After all this very thread will show up in searches for this very subject shortly! Regardless, computer science is essentially applied mathematics. Its just as much of a "science" as philosophy, mathematics and similar subjects.

But this reminds me of something. Our schools don't really teach the foundations and basis of the subject matters they pretend to teach. Instead they focus on things that are easily memorized and tested in multiple choice tests. The fact that so many people don't understand the methodological differences between say mathematics and a science (e.g., biology, physics etc) says a lot about our education system.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:49 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post

We need to completely scrap and change our nation's education system.
Thanks for nit-picking and not focusing on the subject at hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education