Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 08:45 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,523,528 times

Advertisements

And yelling at them all day? In a public 6th grade classroom? I told the school counselor I was hearing about this and wanted to be sure she was aware and it was being addressed, and to emphasize that were my kids to be subject to this behavior or witness it, that there would be serious consequences.

I don't want my kids involved, when she asked for names I told her that from the number of kids I am hearing it from and what I am hearing that she should have no trouble conducting an investigation, other classes can hear her verbally abusing and yelling at students.

I also let her know that were my kids ever to be in a class with such a teacher I would not hesitate to take appropriate legal action.

Any thought on this?

Old 09-19-2008, 08:57 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
And yelling at them all day? In a public 6th grade classroom? I told the school counselor I was hearing about this and wanted to be sure she was aware and it was being addressed, and to emphasize that were my kids to be subject to this behavior or witness it, that there would be serious consequences.

I don't want my kids involved, when she asked for names I told her that from the number of kids I am hearing it from and what I am hearing that she should have no trouble conducting an investigation, other classes can hear her verbally abusing and yelling at students.

I also let her know that were my kids ever to be in a class with such a teacher I would not hesitate to take appropriate legal action.

Any thought on this?
Okay, if any teacher hits my kid, I will hit the teacher!

I would try contacting other parents to see if they are hearing the same. There is strength in numbers!

Old 09-19-2008, 09:04 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
Go to the source if you have concerns about this and make several unannounced visits to the classroom. If your child is in a class where there are constant disruptions because of students with behavior problems, the teacher may have just reached his/her limit and shut up may be the only thing that works. Sometimes kids just need to be told that. If other children are keeping your child from learning, find out who those children are and approach the principal, not the guidance counselor. If your child is disruptive, take care of it. Hitting is never appropriate, but just because a child says it doesn't make it so. I would find it very difficult to believe, especially with litigation.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:08 PM

93 posts, read 288,044 times
That is just TERRIBLE!! What has the world come to?!?! Back in the old days, you could send your kids off to school without worrying about a thing, but now you have to constantly worry about EVERYTHING! You have to worry about predators kidnapping them on their way, or at the bus stop, and then you need to actually trust the bus driver to get them to school safely, then you thought your kids were safe in the classroom, but apparently they aren't!! This is just absolutely unbelievable! If I had kids, and they were going there, I would sooner pull them out and drive them to the next closest school every morning, than have to worry about if the teacher is yelling at them! I really hope something gets done and that teacher gets taken care of!!

Old 09-19-2008, 09:58 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,523,528 times
Again, this isn't happenning to my kids. But I am in the room with a school-mate whose arm the teacher hit with a newspaper, as I write this, and earlier dined in the cafeteria with a gaggle of girls who recounted being hit, yelled at, and witnessing a boy student get hit in the head with an atlas.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:01 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,666,425 times
Call the superintendent and make an anonymous report.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:47 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
The school counselor has no authority over the teacher at all. She can tell the principal, but I can tell you that as a school counselor, I am told all the time to tell parents to complain and talk to the principal DIRECTLY. If it comes from me, the teacher can say that I didn't hear the parent correctly, etc....it is hearsay and 3rd party information.

Please be aware that kids also say things and get on bandwagons, you know, one child says, "Oh, that teacher did such and such to me." The each kid has to one up the first kid and say, "Oh, yeah, well, that teacher did.....(even worse) to me!"

I am just saying that the facts may not be completely accurate.

Dawn

Old 09-20-2008, 07:17 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Go to the source if you have concerns about this and make several unannounced visits to the classroom. If your child is in a class where there are constant disruptions because of students with behavior problems, the teacher may have just reached his/her limit and shut up may be the only thing that works. Sometimes kids just need to be told that. If other children are keeping your child from learning, find out who those children are and approach the principal, not the guidance counselor. If your child is disruptive, take care of it. Hitting is never appropriate, but just because a child says it doesn't make it so. I would find it very difficult to believe, especially with litigation.
Totally agree. Sometimes a teacher does reach a limit and shut up is the only thing that works. However, if a teacher gets to that point, they need to ask for help and other ideas to try. Hitting a student is something that shouldn't happen in a classroom. I would also visit the class yourself and see if this happens while you are there. Many schools welcome visitors in classrooms.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:26 PM

697 posts, read 2,015,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Call the superintendent and make an anonymous report.
Anonymous? Why not own it?

Old 09-20-2008, 07:56 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
Anonymous? Why not own it?
Or direct the question to the teacher directly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education