Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 12:10 PM

901 posts, read 2,987,099 times

Advertisements

Yes, I do. I think that the OP should meet with the teacher and discuss what the teacher is looking for. My point was that attacking the teacher is not going to help. They need to work together for the good of the OP's child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 05:28 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
Yes, I do. I think that the OP should meet with the teacher and discuss what the teacher is looking for. My point was that attacking the teacher is not going to help. They need to work together for the good of the OP's child.
Unless it really is that the teacher is the problem. In that case no amount of working together will be enough. How is asking for response to parental concerns (via papers sent home to sign) or checking a teacher's credentials an attack? Seems OP is being reasonable, has given enough time, tried to communicate with the teacher and is now seeking an alternative route since the situation continues to worsen.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:06 PM

901 posts, read 2,987,099 times
My understanding is that NCLB requires that 100% of fully appointed teachers to have their teaching credentials. Being that 3rd grade is not a shortage area, the teacher is most likely liscensed in childhood or early childhood education. I just don't see the point in asking her.

If the OP and teacher have to work together for the next 5 or 6 months, they need to come to an understanding. Being that they are both adults who have the child's best interests at heart, they should be able to work it out. The teacher is not going to respond well to being attacked. Any person is going to get defensive if they feel attacked.

It probably doesn't seem like it, but I really am sympathetic to the OP's feelings. I hope that it is worked out for the sake of her child. I was offering suggestions on ways to try and work it out. Getting mad about a lack of the Thank You Note is not the best way to go about it.

P.S. OP. In this case, it is probably best to have the principal or A.P. present during the meeting (if possible).

Old 01-18-2009, 06:23 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,762 times
It certainly sounds from the OP like the new teacher is doing a very poor job both with instruction and communication. She could well be in over her head and needs time to adjust, but as a parent, you don't want her working on a learning curve with your kids.

That said, I have to agree that asking for her credentials could be a mistake - it would be perceived as rude and petty, and may get the parent branded as unreasonable and a trouble-maker, which may not be in the best interests of the child. I think the conference should make clear the teacher's expectations for the kids regarding instruction as well as the parent's expectations for the teacher regarding communication.

During the course of the conference, a parent could ask the teacher where she went to school or how long she has been certified and it would be seen as simply part of the 'getting to know each other' of the conversation. Asking to see credentials would be confrontational at this point. If things don't improve after the conference, a nuclear reaction might be more appropriate then.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:32 PM
emh

298 posts, read 851,786 times
I'm in agreement with Sam on this one.

First off, you're understandably upset about your daughter's recent struggles and her anxiety in going to class. Obviously you want what's best for your daughter. My concern, is that with the way you're currently approaching things, you're going to set up an antagonistic relationship with the teacher which will only make things worse for your daughter.

Looking through your messages, you've indicated that the teacher isn't teaching properly. You've also labeled her as incompetent. It's not clear though, if you've actually seen this woman teach. If not, you should make it a priority to sit in on a class to get a better sense of what's going on. It could be, for example, that the students are upset about the teacher passing away and the substitute not getting the job, and are making it really difficult on the new teacher. They may not even be conscious of it. Of course, that's just one guess. Just keep in mind when viewing the class, that the kids will act a lot different with you in the room than when the teacher is by herself.

Regardless, being a new teacher is hard! Very hard. Taking over mid-year from 2 popular teachers is 100 times harder. Most teacher programs do a horrible job of preparing teachers. It can take years before a teacher really knows what they're doing (an ex-girlfriend told me it took her 6 years!).

Chances are the new teacher is struggling, knows she's struggling, putting a lot of pressure on herself, and making things worse. She needs support from you and the other parents. She needs someone who will work with her.

Just my two cents...

Old 01-18-2009, 07:11 PM

7 posts, read 15,238 times
From what I gather a lot of the parents are upset and concerned for their child's learning environment, which they should be if things have changed so drastically.
Your child maybe intimidated by the new teacher. Children form bonds and your child has been through a lot in one year. A new teacher has stepped in and is having to replace another teacher, not an easy thing to do. No two teachers teach or even act the same towards their students. The students are making comparisons along with possibly hearing their parents do so. The new teacher is probably being hit by all sides about her teaching skills and how she communicates with the students, just to name a few. After so much of it she will shut down in communicating with parents. The school and district will back her because she has been put in a tough situation. The principal will believe that the parents have not given the teacher a fair chance and will shut down also. The more the parents complain, the more he will protect her until he sees something for himself. I can guarantee they will not get rid of her nor bring back the sub. This may seem unbelievable, but it's how it works. Don't push too hard because your child will be the one who suffers.
I would imagine that the new teacher taught a higher grade before taking the 3rd grade position. At this grade level they still want to be cuddled somewhat and she probably isn't that type. She probably came in and became business from the start. Your daughter and other students may not be responding to her style of teaching.
You have the right to visit the classroom for a day and see how things are going for yourself. Speak to a counselor about the situation, but keep your tone down and don't get upset. Hopefully, everything will mellow out and settle down for the sake of the students. I wish you the best.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:03 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Mom1964, Even if she is a lousy teacher if you go in and call her on it, that is not going to help your daughter. Would you like it if on first meeting you, the teacher said that you were lacking in parenting skills?

If helping your daughter is truly your goal then I stand by my first post and suggest that you ask the teacher what you can do to make her succeed.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:27 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
According to the OP's post, the communication has, so far, been one-sided. Don't you think the new teacher should be replying to parents?
I do think that judging her because she doesn't send thank you notes is a bit too harsh.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:24 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,129,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I do think that judging her because she doesn't send thank you notes is a bit too harsh.
I'd agree with that. However, the initial post looks troubling.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:23 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I'd agree with that. However, the initial post looks troubling.
Certainly. But I've learned that it's best to stick with the 'big issues' when you need to talk to administration (not just in education, by the way) otherwise, you come off as petty, and you tend to be minimized and ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education