Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 02:09 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,715,057 times

Advertisements

There are a couple of more shoes to drop in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 02:19 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,355 times
maf, I believe that. There is an awful lot not disclosed I'm guessing.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:36 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
All the HOOPLA...don't want any incoming calls on your cell phone...turn it off.

NOT using the Lap Top...close the lid.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:08 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,639,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
All the HOOPLA...don't want any incoming calls on your cell phone...turn it off.

NOT using the Lap Top...close the lid.
Because that is just exactly the appropriate response to invasion of privacy - pretend it didn't happen.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:24 PM

All homes have a front door that is always closed.

Bedroom doors also can be closed...a personal choice of a privacy issue.

Bathroom doors can also be closed..a personal choice of a privacy issue.

In the above cases there is also a lock privilege or choice to use.

NO one leaves the lights on during the day time when not in use...with a Lap Top...close the lid.

Nothing complicated that I can see...camera or NO camera.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:10 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,601 times
Quote:

NO one leaves the lights on during the day time when not in use...with a Lap Top...close the lid.

Are you serious??? Do you not understand that these photos can be taken when someone is using the laptop in the privacy of their own home - perhaps in their pj's (or not). They can collect images in the background also. And all this was done without the user's permission or knowledge so there was no reason to think to take precautions. And the students were required to use the school issued laptops and forbidden to use their own, according to the story. This is unthinkable.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:32 PM

Re Read my second to the last sentence...it's NO brainer.

Would you undress in front of a window with the curtain open?

Such a little thing of closing the lid on the Lap Top or turning it OFF camera or NO camera.

I'm trying to hold in my cool here...in my many many decades on earth I've seen and heard quite a few.

We could go on for post after post with nothing registering...life is too short for me.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:39 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,167,614 times
All well and good to say we can just close it and/or shut it off if it weren't for that pesky little "failed to disclose" fact that the technology was there in the first place.

We'll see I guess how this all pans out with regard to what's not being disclosed on the other end, but be that as it may, it serves as a reminder to not get too comfortable with technology and "security."

It's kind of hard to close the laptop when your kid's trying to do homework, and not only that, but homework that is required to be done on a school issued laptop.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:14 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
All well and good to say we can just close it and/or shut it off if it weren't for that pesky little "failed to disclose" fact that the technology was there in the first place.

We'll see I guess how this all pans out with regard to what's not being disclosed on the other end, but be that as it may, it serves as a reminder to not get too comfortable with technology and "security."

It's kind of hard to close the laptop when your kid's trying to do homework, and not only that, but homework that is required to be done on a school issued laptop.
You get it. Unfortunately not everyone does, amazing as it is! Check out this:

PENN VALLEY, Pa. – The suburban Philadelphia teen who filed a webcam spying lawsuit against his school district says an administrator's denial of wrongdoing doesn't address his claims.
Harriton High School sophomore Blake Robbins insists an assistant vice principal did take advantage of a security program to monitor his activity at home. The administrator, Lindy Matsko, says she didn't monitor students or authorize others to do so.
But Robbins told reporters Wednesday that Matsko didn't deny confronting him about a picture the webcam took.
The lawsuit filed last week claims Matsko talked to Robbins about "improper behavior" at home, citing images from the school-issued laptop's camera.
Robbins says officials mistook candy for pills and thought he was selling drugs.
District officials have said they only remotely activated webcams to locate missing laptops.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:43 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,639,969 times
Quote:

Yes, I understand that you can't see it.

But what you didn't know, when you bought the house, was that the police had a key that allowed them to walk into your house any time they wanted, and therefore, since you were alone to the best of your knowledge, you did not close or lock the bathroom door.

Nobody else had the RIGHT or POWER to walk in, you thought.

Until they did.

Your ignorance on the use of laptops is showing here. Many people use them as desktops, as memo pads, as alarm clocks, as message machines, as music devices...

They are open so the person doesn't have to wait for the screen to come back on, or so they can glance at it to see if they have messages from friends, or a raft of other reasons.

That somebody might break the law with a computer you are REQUIRED TO HAVE is not a reason to have to change the practice of leaving the laptop open. It's a reason to stop the law-breakers.

And one last point: Until this crap, nobody was equating the laptop camera with a door or a window in. They were comparing it to a SHADE - pulled down when nobody is invited to see in, open when they are - and nobody outside the house is supposed to be able to control the shade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education