Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 10:15 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times

Advertisements

The Case Against High-School Sports - Amanda Ripley - The Atlantic

Very interesting article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 10:24 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
I think HS sports has gone over the top.
And teachers go to great lengths to keep "the players" passing so the school can stay competitive.
It's almost like college.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I think HS sports has gone over the top.
And teachers go to great lengths to keep "the players" passing so the school can stay competitive.
It's almost like college.
Thanks to Texas's "no pass no play" rule, yes. It had noble intentions but I think all it does is create pressure for teachers to inflate grades for athletes, cheerleaders, drill team members, and people in the band during football season. Then they're basically screwed once spring rolls around.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:03 AM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
First of all, the title of this thread concerns only footbal, but the Atlantic Monthly article is against ALL high school sports.

Second, the first sentence in the article is "The United States routinely spends more tax dollars per high-school athlete than per high-school math student". What if a kid is both? My son is now attending college as a Mathematics major, on an academic scholarship and he is not playing a sport in college, yet he played multiple sports in high school.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
First of all, the title of this thread concerns only footbal, but the Atlantic Monthly article is against ALL high school sports.

Second, the first sentence in the article is "The United States routinely spends more tax dollars per high-school athlete than per high-school math student". What if a kid is both? My son is now attending college as a Mathematics major, on an academic scholarship and he is not playing a sport in college, yet he played multiple sports in high school.
The same kid can be in multiple cost "buckets". However many classes that kid is taking, there's a cost to the taxpayer associated with it. 7 classes, 7 buckets. The kid costs (just using random figures here) $1500 in football and another $600 in math, whereas the kid not playing sports costs just $600 in math...a savings of $1500 already.

I agree with what's in the article, FWIW.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

I agree with what's in the article, FWIW.

Are you specifically against football, or all sports?

Old 09-20-2013, 11:34 AM

When cash-strapped public schools are cutting back programs (not just sports but also art, music,etc), private schools benefit from wealthy families transferring their kids. I've seen it here in New Jersey where I work and in Pennsylvania where I live.

Sidwell Friends, Lawrenceville, Phillips-Exeter and the like will be that last ones to drop sports, even as the elite schools in 1900 were the first to adopt them.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:57 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Sports are part of the high school experience in the USA. They are something that stay with most students long past their high school days. A student that comes from another country would never understand. I am not in favor of the extreme programs in some areas but sports belong in school. Sports provide many scholarship opportunities for thousands of kids. They learn teamwork and discipline.

I have a feeling that the social misfit/ won't go to a reunion/ got bullied in school crowd will be weighing in on this thread.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Are you specifically against football, or all sports?
I think any sport that costs money and takes away from a student's instructional time doesn't belong in school. What's wrong with playing sports in local clubs? That's how we should do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Sports are part of the high school experience in the USA. They are something that stay with most students long past their high school days. A student that comes from another country would never understand. I am not in favor of the extreme programs in some areas but sports belong in school. Sports provide many scholarship opportunities for thousands of kids. They learn teamwork and discipline.
Did you read the article?

Old 09-20-2013, 12:49 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
I think schools, including colleges, should not be associated with sports at all.

If there is a demand for these sports, the market will support it. Clubs will be formed, players will join these clubs and play, people and businesses will sponsor.

I do not see the need for the whole dog and pony show linking sports with education, especially in college. Let the NFL sponsor clubs, and let players join these clubs without the BS of school with it. No different than someone joining an apprentice program or something.

In high school my district felt is was more important to renovate the football field, stadium, and track around the field, than to actually update the over fifty year old high school with no air conditioning or any ventilation other than fans running; Oh yes, and purchasing enough textbooks for students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education