Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 03:06 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,981 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this is the right area to put this! But can someone list, give me a list or a website of different kind of trades that I can go into. I know the welding, medical coding, auto, and plumbing trades but what are some others? Preferably quick trades... Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 06:19 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
I'm unaware of any websites, but there's also electricians, mechanics, autobody repair, home security installation. There's also pipe fitters (for running natural gas lines), and HVAC. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Maybe try looking at trade school offerings and see what types of programs they offer.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:00 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,657 times
Don't go to a trade school; they are scams.

Try either to get into the union apprenticeship programs or find a contractor who will take you under his wing.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:28 AM

610 posts, read 3,015,960 times
When you say don't go to a trade school, are you also talking about community colleges that offer schooling for various trades?

Old 03-14-2010, 11:41 AM

PM sent.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I'm unaware of any websites, but there's also electricians, mechanics, autobody repair, home security installation. There's also pipe fitters (for running natural gas lines), and HVAC. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Maybe try looking at trade school offerings and see what types of programs they offer.
How do I get into the home security installation business?

Old 03-14-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Don't go to a trade school; they are scams.

Try either to get into the union apprenticeship programs or find a contractor who will take you under his wing.

Yeah, I've heard they are scams..
But how do I find a union apprenticeship or contractor who is willing to take a 20 year old male with no experience under his or her wings?

Old 03-14-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faygo42 View Post
Yeah, I've heard they are scams..
But how do I find a union apprenticeship or contractor who is willing to take a 20 year old male with no experience under his or her wings?
To get in with a private contractor:
A. Know somebody.
B. Take a few classes in said trade at your local community college. You aren't going to learn a lot, but it will show some type of initiative. After you do that then pound the pavement and send out resumes to private contractors. Build up your experience. You will not get paid **** at first. Also, most private contractors are shady dudes. Some will take care of you, but most won't. Use the experience you get here to eventually open up your own business or try to get into the union.

To get into the union apprenticeship in your area:
A. It helps to have a relative or family friend who is in.
B. They like people with college in their background. Not saying you have to have a bachelor's or anything...but some college credits look good to them.
C. They like people who have prior experience in the trade.
D. First, you have to pick a trade that appeals to you. Then go to the local hall and fill out an application to take their introductory test. The applications usually are filled out from January to March of every year. They make you take a test. Do well on it. Then you go for your interview. WEAR A SUIT (trust me). Ask a few questions and make it seem like you are interested in the trade.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faygo42 View Post
How do I get into the home security installation business?
Those are definately not union jobs. Contact your local alarm company and ask how to apply. I get the impression that they take anybody.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:46 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
When you say don't go to a trade school, are you also talking about community colleges that offer schooling for various trades?
No, community colleges that offer trade certifications are not scams. They are under the control of the state university system in most states or some other governing board and are fine.

There are also some medical fields where you can get certified through a trade school type setting-home health care aide, certified nursing assistant, dental assistant, vet assistant, etc. If you are willing to put a little more time into a program, the ultrasound techs in our state make about $60K to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education