Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:24 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,677 times

Advertisements

When a high school student turns 18 he/she can request grades be sent to them instead of parents. Why would colleges send grown adults' grades to their parents? Makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 08:30 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Google is your friend.

Somebody has to be the adult in the equation. IME, it's preferable when it's the actual grown-up (though admittedly not always).

There's a reason we don't classify children and adolescents as adults: because kids're not as responsible as adults. While they're learning to take on that responsibility, it is reasonable and customary to give them smaller and less important responsibilities than the actual adults get. We expect less from kindergarteners than fifth graders, and less from fifth graders than high schoolers. And-- hate to break it to you, Ivory-- we customarily expect less from high schoolers than forty-somethings.
Not necessarily. I've found two definitions. One is a block of ice hung in front of a fan (sounds really safe ). The other is wetted slats in front of a fan. Seriously, water and electricity don't mix well.

I can see the ice block one working. Wetted slats would only work if the humidity were low. You're not going to get much evaporative cooling in a swamp with something like that. A heat pump would make way more sense.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:55 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,289,544 times
Now we add swamp coolers and college grades! What a thread!

Old 06-11-2010, 10:35 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,160,431 times
I am not sure how evaporative coolers got the name "swamp coolers," but they aren't for cooling swamps -- in fact, they are almost exclusively used in arid climates. They would be useless in any climate with humidity. As far as electricity & water, it has never been an issue WRT swamp coolers...at least not in my experience. What people grouse about isn't getting shocked, but hauling up onto the roof to change the pads or dealing w/the inevitable hard water deposits due to a largely alkaline soil.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
I am not sure how evaporative coolers got the name "swamp coolers," but they aren't for cooling swamps -- in fact, they are almost exclusively used in arid climates. They would be useless in any climate with humidity. As far as electricity & water, it has never been an issue WRT swamp coolers...at least not in my experience. What people grouse about isn't getting shocked, but hauling up onto the roof to change the pads or dealing w/the inevitable hard water deposits due to a largely alkaline soil.
That's what I was thinking. I've always thought a swamp cooler used a block of ice and that is one definition. You just hang a block of ice in front of a fan with a pan to catch the water . Scary.

Maybe they call them swamp coolers because they smell like a swamp, lol. I can imagine you could grow a lot of mold on something that uses wetted slats.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Now we add swamp coolers and college grades! What a thread!
We're a diverse group

Old 06-12-2010, 07:09 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
As a teacher I think my expectations for parents are different than what some of the parents expectations are. I expect parents to reinforce the idea that school is important first and foremost and to keep us informed of issues as we do the same.

For example, I got my first contact from a particular parent today all year. It was in response to the child's progress report and the almost universal comment on it about the child's lack of homework in every class.

I was glad to hear from the parent but I would like to see if people get the same feeling from it I do.

"Everyone,
I apologize for just getting this out but I did speak with XXXXX the day we received this in the mail. He assured me that he was addressing this with his individual teachers. If this is not accurate, I would be interested in knowing. I can attest to knowing that XXXXX was falling asleep while doing his homework on numerous occasions. He had taken on the responsibility of being the Senior Patrol Leader for his scout troop which required him to go to every meeting and prep for the meeting. He was also running track meets. Now that there has been a lull in his running, I am hoping he is keeping up with his studies.

I know that we have spoken on numerous occasions of the importance in balancing his assignment schedules. My husband has spoken to various parents and they have said that their kids stay up late to complete assignments. I am aware of his lack of organizational skills. There are times that I give him a list of the things that he needs to accomplish for the evening so that he can see a list.
My husband and I appreciate all of your efforts in molding XXXXX into a responsible, capable young man. If you have not seen any improvement in his work, please let us know so that we are on the same page.

XXXXX XXXXXXX"

But, let's go back to the OP and leave swamp coolers for this forum - //www.city-data.com/forum/house/

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education