Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 08:52 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,084,866 times

Advertisements

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer but I've been driving for 20 years, zero accidents, zero moving violations and have driven over 750,000 miles across this country and in other countries.

Why are the drivers here so horrible?

I'm from Chicago so I've seen some pretty crappy drivers but this is what I see constantly here:

-talking on the phone "hands free" while the phone is on speaker and holding the phone to their mouth
-5 MPH under in the left hand lane when there are clearly signs posted "left lane for passing only"
-lack of turn signal use
-drunk drivers
-riding their brakes
-lane changing/turning without warning (signal/brake)
-tailgaiting
-speeding through residential neighborhoods, so bad I've seen speed bumps put up. Only other place I've seen this is the middle east

For those who have spent significant time driving outside of ELP, is this your experience as well?

Don't get me wrong, I love this place, I'll stay here if I get out of the Army but the drivers here are just ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 09:54 AM

643 posts, read 1,313,819 times
Are you following me around, Army Guy?

All jokes aside, I think that there is not enough enforcement of the no cell phone while driving law. I see people constantly on their phones when they can easily use the bluetooth system in their vehicles. Swerving and switching lanes and then when you pass them they're holding the phone on speaker to their mouth. Might as well just take it off speaker and put it to your ear, right?

Old 04-08-2015, 06:25 PM

346 posts, read 647,532 times
I think El Paso drivers are pretty mellow, compared to those in many other Texas cities.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:42 PM

575 posts, read 884,788 times
agree with the cell phone thing. Clearly against the law; clearly not enforced.

there are bad drivers all over, really.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet West View Post
there are bad drivers all over, really.
That is true. I have literally driven across this country, driven in 30 states and as a collective whole, I have never seen drivers so awful outside of ELP.

I bumped up my insurance coverages after coming here.

No DUI El Paso estimates that 1/4 of the drivers here will have an interaction with drunk driving. I typically avoid I-10 because it makes my blood boil.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:23 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,647,874 times
If local drivers are so bad, then how do you explain El Paso making the national safest drivers list?

According to the annual 2014 America’s Best Driver’s Report conducted by Allstate Insurance Co, El Paso ranks 56 out of 200 cities. Chicago is at 139, sorry OP.

https://www.allstate.com/resources/A...eport-2014.pdf

Old 04-10-2015, 07:38 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,138,802 times
I think the real problem is the amount of traffic, the congestion, and infrastructure.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
I think the real problem is the amount of traffic, the congestion, and infrastructure.
Yes, I think the traffic is a problem as well.

How is the public transportation here? Is it pretty good?

Old 04-11-2015, 09:54 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,555,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer but I've been driving for 20 years, zero accidents, zero moving violations and have driven over 750,000 miles across this country and in other countries.

Why are the drivers here so horrible?

I'm from Chicago so I've seen some pretty crappy drivers but this is what I see constantly here:

-talking on the phone "hands free" while the phone is on speaker and holding the phone to their mouth
-5 MPH under in the left hand lane when there are clearly signs posted "left lane for passing only"
-lack of turn signal use
-drunk drivers
-riding their brakes
-lane changing/turning without warning (signal/brake)
-tailgaiting
-speeding through residential neighborhoods, so bad I've seen speed bumps put up. Only other place I've seen this is the middle east

For those who have spent significant time driving outside of ELP, is this your experience as well?

Don't get me wrong, I love this place, I'll stay here if I get out of the Army but the drivers here are just ridiculous.
All the thing you mention apply anywhere in the world. I also have been across this country and about 30 countries around the world.

I served 32 years in the Army and in every place I have been stationed or on temporary duty, the Soldiers said the "locals" do not know how to drive.

When I first moved here I remember Pasoans constantly saying the New Mexicans did not know how to drive. Actually, there was a song titled "Drive Like a New Mexican" and it mention a few of the things you mention.
About a three years ago one of my daughters and her husband were visiting from Albuquerque. She made a comment like yours after I was bringing an occasion when a Soldier at WBAMC was talking about the local traffic. My daughter made her comments. Well, later I checked stats on traffic mortality rates, traffic tickets, end traffic related data and I found out that Albuquerque rated lower in traffic safety than El Paso. I am aware that stats can vary with different surveys.

I came up with my way of calling the attitude like yours, "regional adaptation bias". It is somewhat like when Soldiers tend to say that the last duty station is better than the present one. Take care.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:17 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,555,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
If local drivers are so bad, then how do you explain El Paso making the national safest drivers list?

According to the annual 2014 America’s Best Driver’s Report conducted by Allstate Insurance Co, El Paso ranks 56 out of 200 cities. Chicago is at 139, sorry OP.

https://www.allstate.com/resources/A...eport-2014.pdf
Very good point! I forgot about that when I wrote message 9. Again, it seems that perceptions are very strong. They are influenced by personal biases. Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso