Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:57 AM

43 posts, read 174,308 times

Advertisements

Texanwest... I joked to my friends that I would live on Missouri (being from the state). Now based on your suggestion I will check it out. Thanks for the words of wisdom. I don't plan on staying in El Paso for more than a few years. Just want to make the best of it. It also sounds like you have a good deal on the west side. I'm looking all through the west side of the city from the mall area right on through downtown.

And malamute thanks for the suggestions as well. I'll check those out when I move into town next month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 09:39 AM

421 posts, read 2,156,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty314 View Post

I was able to see many of the neighborhoods on the westside of town. Sunset Heights, Kern, and others. El Paso seems to have a good variety of areas to live in. The west side of the city is my target area and my ideal situation would be to live in an area near UTEP.

Does anyone know of a great place to find out what may be for rent in Sunset Heights or Kern? Any central location? El Paso Times? Craigslist? Any other ideas? I'll like look for a living situation to move into... I don't mind having roommates and meeting new people.

I also look forward to visiting surrounding areas and nearby cities. Consider me sold on El Paso, for now.
There are more than a few possible locations for rentals in and around sunset heights. From actual apartment buildings, duplexes, and smaller homes you should have no problems finding places, but you may have to compete with utep students who also rent in the neighborhood. You might also be interested in fixing up a small bungalow for dirt cheap or even checking out the new condos going up in the neighborhood. The developer is fitting them with all the modern amenities, but on the outside they look like a couple of 1920s two flats. Very promising infill development..

Old 11-22-2009, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,086 times
Qwerty314: I'm currently facing a similar situation as it appears you faced about a year and a half ago. I've lived in other big Texas cities most of my life but moved to Atlanta for a year away and will be moving from Atlanta to El Paso in a few months. I'm a single, white male in my mid-twenties and am getting anxious about where I'll live and who I'll hang out with in EP. Work and business is not an issue for me, and I'll only be in EP for a few years. Did you end up finding any areas in EP that are cool? With young singles/professionals? Cafe's and Restaurants? Walkable? Live music? One of the few times I've been to EP was last June to see one of my favorite bands of all times (Wilco)--I was pretty excited to see a big act like them coming to El Paso. So I just wanted to hear some follow-up. How's it been compared to what you expected? What are your favorite areas to hang out in? Have you been able to meet cool people? Where should I live? Hope to year back.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:44 AM

730 posts, read 1,895,773 times
OP was back in 2008....wonder if poster is still in El Paso?

Old 11-24-2009, 08:22 AM

31 posts, read 96,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty314 View Post
haha, ok, duly noted

I'm content with the single life, so if I don't find the future wife in El Paso there are plenty of other cities I'll probably move to in the future. My career choice is one that'll land me in several different cities in my life. Though I hear there are pretty women out in West Texas/S. New Mexico... hispanic or not.
I happen to be an early twenties single guy living here El Paso. I was drawn to the Central/UTEP area as well but in the end I didn't want to drive so far to work each day. I've chosen the East side for my new home.

Central/UTEP has all the really beautiful, historic, urban areas of the town that still have a pulse. Cincinnati street is where you'll find a lot of the college crowd hanging out. There's also a comedy club, the Comic Strip on Airway that is very popular judging by the parking lot.

To be honest this whole city is quite safe. Thats coming from someone who never lived in a city larger than Bowling Green, KY prior to moving here so that might be saying a lot.

I haven't really dived into the dating scene yet...Still enjoying the single life so I don't really have too much info on that.

I view El Paso in the same way, a place to have some adventures and one day we'll see where I end up. It really is a adventurous place, especially if you like the outdoors. Riding a horse out into the desert and climbing up the mesa out by Santa Teresa is amazing. The mountains are beautiful and so are the views from on top. The Sacramento Mts in New Mexico offer some really amazing parks, and real rustic western towns. Riding my motorcycle up there is some real fun as well.

Hope the info helps, good luck in the search

Old 11-24-2009, 08:24 AM

31 posts, read 96,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltep View Post
OP was back in 2008....wonder if poster is still in El Paso?

OOPS! I should look at dates before I try to help out

Old 01-11-2010, 04:39 PM

252 posts, read 724,495 times
Haha, I don't think you know what you're getting yourself into by moving to El Paso sight unseen.

I would think about somewhere else if I were you.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:45 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,509,368 times
Everbody's wondering what to do, where to hang out, etc. Just hang out at the plaza for crying out loud. Lot's of cool stuff happening there.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:55 AM

888 posts, read 886,775 times
It seems to me that "young professional" culture (I suppose you can call me a young professional too, albeit nearing the end, LOL) consists of the following:

-Alcohol
-Sex
-Hanging out in hip trendy bars, clubs, restaurants, outdoor cafes
-People watching, seeing being seen, regarding the above

Sure, they all talk about it like "looking for a hip trendy vibrant scene with a cool vibe where young professionals like me can hang out"... or even "artsy walkable neighborhoods" but to me it seems like sex, alcohol, and people watching. You see these posts all over city-data in anytown, usa.

I too love to have sex all the time and enjoy checking out hot chicks in super tight jeans while I'm partaking in alcohol hanging out in "vibrant hip trendy" areas, but it's starting to become a little cliché and superficial to me.

Does anyone else have this viewpoint?

Lately I've been getting into more intellectual, spiritual/philosophical aspects of life, and now this "hip trendy bar vibrant artsy" thing is getting old. I'm now saving a lot more money by cooking for my girlfriend and getting her buzzed at my place, LOL...

Maybe (from my recent travels) this "young professional" attitude is homogenous across the US ... hip trendy vibrant bars where we can drink expensive cocktails and check each other out.

Now I'm starting to think that nature is the way to go... mountains, wilderness, high pine forests, majestic nature, beautiful sunshine... I'm a fitness freak, so it's true I was always a little bored of the party scene to begin with. Young Professional seems a bit shallow and nature seems more sexy, more profound than hanging out at hip trendy cool vibe restaurants. The solitude of nature, the isolation, the realization how temporary we humans are, reading interesting books on mountaintops, learning from those who passed on this Earth before us... it seems a bit more like a thoughtful pursuit as I get older.

Am I crazy or unrealistic about life?

Old 01-17-2010, 08:06 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,509,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDaysCopenhagenSkoal View Post
It seems to me that "young professional" culture (I suppose you can call me a young professional too, albeit nearing the end, LOL) consists of the following:

-Alcohol
-Sex
-Hanging out in hip trendy bars, clubs, restaurants, outdoor cafes
-People watching, seeing being seen, regarding the above

Sure, they all talk about it like "looking for a hip trendy vibrant scene with a cool vibe where young professionals like me can hang out"... or even "artsy walkable neighborhoods" but to me it seems like sex, alcohol, and people watching. You see these posts all over city-data in anytown, usa.

I too love to have sex all the time and enjoy checking out hot chicks in super tight jeans while I'm partaking in alcohol hanging out in "vibrant hip trendy" areas, but it's starting to become a little cliché and superficial to me.

Does anyone else have this viewpoint?

Lately I've been getting into more intellectual, spiritual/philosophical aspects of life, and now this "hip trendy bar vibrant artsy" thing is getting old. I'm now saving a lot more money by cooking for my girlfriend and getting her buzzed at my place, LOL...

Maybe (from my recent travels) this "young professional" attitude is homogenous across the US ... hip trendy vibrant bars where we can drink expensive cocktails and check each other out.

Now I'm starting to think that nature is the way to go... mountains, wilderness, high pine forests, majestic nature, beautiful sunshine... I'm a fitness freak, so it's true I was always a little bored of the party scene to begin with. Young Professional seems a bit shallow and nature seems more sexy, more profound than hanging out at hip trendy cool vibe restaurants. The solitude of nature, the isolation, the realization how temporary we humans are, reading interesting books on mountaintops, learning from those who passed on this Earth before us... it seems a bit more like a thoughtful pursuit as I get older.

Am I crazy or unrealistic about life?
I think you make a hell of a lot of sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso