Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:47 AM

2,625 posts, read 11,215,716 times

Advertisements

Winns, was the spot, back in the days, they used to have the latest toys, best candy, pop corn machine, icees, clothes, even fabric, there used to be one on Piedras & Alameda, it was like a little mini Wal Mart in the "hood"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 11:59 AM

639 posts, read 1,042,816 times
BOY! do I remember WINNS stores, there was one on North Loop in Tigua use to shop there almost everyday, you could buy one Gold Fish for 20 cents. and I also remember the one in Five Points on Pershing there was one in Ysleta and elswhere, these stores where your five and dime stores, there was also a competitive chain store to WINNS called TG&Y stores.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:25 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,215,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH!Lonesome View Post
BOY! do I remember WINNS stores, there was one on North Loop in Tigua use to shop there almost everyday, you could buy one Gold Fish for 20 cents. and I also remember the one in Five Points on Pershing there was one in Ysleta and elswhere, these stores where your five and dime stores, there was also a competitive chain store to WINNS called TG&Y stores.

I remember the one IN 5 points, 5 points had so manY THRIVING businesses back then, Revco, Sears, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Pershing Theaters,memorial park, i remember at Pershing you could pay $1.00 and watch movies all day!!

Old 02-26-2008, 12:42 PM

639 posts, read 1,042,816 times
My parents where freinds to the manager of the Pershing Theater so he use to kick us down some free passes to the movies and yes Five Points was a very thriving neighborhood till Sears moved to Cielo Vista Mall, there was also a Furrs super market, First State Bank and Five Point had El Paso's first Mc Donalds franchise on Peidras Street.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:17 PM

5 posts, read 33,814 times
Default Caught red handed at WINNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
Winns, was the spot, back in the days, they used to have the latest toys, best candy, pop corn machine, icees, clothes, even fabric, there used to be one on Piedras & Alameda, it was like a little mini Wal Mart in the "hood"
Oh yes I do remember Winns and its so sad that stores like it had to go away once the Wal-Marts came in. Actually I think people around that part of town started to find out that prices were cheaper at the bigger stores. But I will never forget getting caught trying to steal a Hot-Wheels car. Man that store WAS cool!

Old 03-10-2008, 04:35 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
I remember WINNS.

As for Five and Dime stores, there was a real Five and Dime store on Fairbanks up by Terrace Hills. Used to go there and buy penny candy.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 17,291 times
There was Winns store on Alameda close to Piedras, now a transmission repair place. My parents purchased a Winns Bicycle called the Mustang back in the mid 60's, which I still have.
email address: [email]jcasti1045@aol.com[/email]

Old 03-07-2010, 05:04 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,915,957 times
The first "five and dime" in El Paso that I'm aware of was Kress in downtown right on the plaza. In fact there is still a sign on the building, but not sure that it still has the same ambiance - wooden floors and glass display cases and a long soda/sandwich fountain where lunches were "dirt cheap."

There was another variety store that I am not recalling the name of - perhaps Peterson's? It was never quite as busy as Kress.

You people who are recalling the Winn's franchise - I wonder if that's the same chain as the Winn-Dixie stores in other southern states?

Old 03-07-2010, 07:26 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,830,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
The first "five and dime" in El Paso that I'm aware of was Kress in downtown right on the plaza. In fact there is still a sign on the building, but not sure that it still has the same ambiance - wooden floors and glass display cases and a long soda/sandwich fountain where lunches were "dirt cheap."

There was another variety store that I am not recalling the name of - perhaps Peterson's? It was never quite as busy as Kress.

There was a Sprouse-Reitz discount store in Rushfair until the early Seventies. I remember it was on the northeast side of the mall, facing Fairbanks.

Quote:

You people who are recalling the Winn's franchise - I wonder if that's the same chain as the Winn-Dixie stores in other southern states?

I think that used to be called Winn and Lovett.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:05 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,605,207 times
There was one at the crossroads ,I also remember the woolworths and the piggly wiggly in the Coronado shopping center area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso