Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2007, 04:32 PM

33 posts, read 165,204 times

Advertisements

Maybe it is interesting to read an opinion from someone who moved to E.P. last year and from very far......Germany?

I just don’t know where to start and I have to apologize, this is gonna be a loooong posting.

If you only know middle European climate and vegetation, E.P. is just amazing. I’ve never seen desert in my life before. I just could walk in all the time. I have to go to Alamogordo from time to time and hear everybody complaining about that boring trip. Not for me! I stare at the desert all the time and get excited about every cactus.... I am insane....

I love the palm trees. I got me a house with a very nice and big backyard but the most important thing I was looking for – palm trees and I got plenty of them. I am so happy about that. Even though I used to spent my vacation in Spain, France and several islands in the Mediterranean, these palm trees are so nice here - maybe knowing that you live in the middle of a desert.

The mountains are fascinating, I love the sunset too, I already took so many pictures and I would love to share them with you here somewhere. Only because of E.P. I got me a photographer equipment of a professional with external flash and all that stuff, just to catch the wonderful mountains when the sun sets down on them. I’m gonna break every record of how many pictures people have...

You have animals that you could never find in Europe, like Black Widow (well there are some in France but not much poisoned) or scorpions and snakes. In fact I have seen my first snake in life last month. There is a difference if you go in a zoo in Berlin to watch a snake, you understand me?

I like the desert style, I wish I could take a big truck full of all these rocks back home one day......maybe I will.

Some here complain about the brown color, but let me tell you, you get sick and tired of green too.....seems that we always want what we can’t get.

Of course I’ve already seen some ugly corners here too, so what? I haven’t met a perfect city yet so far and I go around a lot.

Since the opener of this thread is most of time bedridden, I hope you find a place where you see sunrise or sunset all the time through your windows.....that would compensate it if I couldn’t leave house much. When the mountains glow in the sun, you won’t be able to close your mouth again.

In Germany we have nice summer time but the rest of year you wouldn’t want as a gift, believe me. I love Germany but I would trade it in for this lovely weather here. No matter what plans you have in 2 weeks, one thing is for sure: weather is gonna be nice. In Germany you plan a BBQ and then you listen to the weather report and jitter.......how will the weather be?

I am sorry if my English isn’t 100%!

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 12:15 PM

44 posts, read 91,716 times
I agree with you on El Paso's fantastic climate. It takes you awhile to realize how agreeable it is year round. As you mention Germany and most of Europe is quite beautiful but seasonal. Pleasant weather conditions are limited. Though winter sport enthusiasts love their winter sports most people are not of the majority in my opinion Really enjoyed your post.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:13 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,956,511 times
Ahh yes.. but you have to remember that some people like 4 seasons.. not 2.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:15 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Breton View Post
I agree with you on El Paso's fantastic climate. It takes you awhile to realize how agreeable it is year round. As you mention Germany and most of Europe is quite beautiful but seasonal. Pleasant weather conditions are limited. Though winter sport enthusiasts love their winter sports most people are not of the majority in my opinion Really enjoyed your post.

That's another of the good things about El Paso -- winter sports are not ruled out because in a couple of hours you can be in Ruidoso. You can drive up -- spend the entire day doing winter sports and come back to warmth.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Ahh yes.. but you have to remember that some people like 4 seasons.. not 2.

We have 4 seasons here (maybe more) -- winter is 1 or 2 days. Fall is 1 or 2 days. Spring is 1 or 2 days. The seasons I would add would be dust and wind season and monsoon season.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:24 PM

115 posts, read 471,528 times
It's neither pretty nor ugly ... but it's a city I would not like to live in ..

@ ElPasorina

I am from Germany too and can't really agree on "In Germany we have nice summer time but the rest of year you wouldn’t want as a gift, believe me." Some people actually like 4 seasons, you know.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:32 AM

71 posts, read 346,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's another of the good things about El Paso -- winter sports are not ruled out because in a couple of hours you can be in Ruidoso. You can drive up -- spend the entire day doing winter sports and come back to warmth.

I have to agree with you. I love the hot summers in El Paso. We only come up to Ruidoso during the Bike Rally. After that we go back to El Paso. Because that's where we make our money.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:27 PM

33 posts, read 165,204 times
I'd say, if someone really loves 4 seasons like a long spring and fall or winter, then El Paso can't be the right city. But for a sun worshiper like me it certainly is. In Germany waiting for a winter with snow or a nice fall belongs to the past anyway. Mostly there are no seasons like they used to be. There is no smooth transition anymore, it just gets mixed up in a rainy mess.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:50 PM

639 posts, read 1,044,023 times
I'd say that El Paso is pretty in certain areas pending from where you are getting better views from, I remember growing up in the Lower Valley and the Franklin Mountains was the first thing you could see in the near distant as we would bbq in our backyard we could see the neon El Paso sky at night.

Seems that neon sky kept getting closer and brighter every year then next thing it went over us and just kept going further East, El Paso is also alot different given that it is not a flat city and you can use the mountains as a guide, you know I hav'nt been there in nine years so I'm sure it's changed a little.

And one more thing I still remember that folks regardless of what part of town like to boast that their part of town is better or so, but thats what makes El Paso unique is that every part of town is like it'a own little city with it's own features, for exsample if you want to go to NE El Paso you look at the mountains and figure I got to get to that end of the mountains, El Paso also has high schools that have had long term rivalry in sports, you dont see much of that in other cities.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:04 PM

1,951 posts, read 2,300,032 times
it is Ugly compared to other places , they don't seem to like trees

look an old cotton wood chop it down !

now if you get away from the city and find a place where the locals have not dumped the trash in thedesert and it is sunrise or sunset ,,,.wow what sunsets ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso