Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2008, 01:54 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,385,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
So El Paso is great because of the weather. Thats the best thing.. that says something about El Paso dont you think.
sad but true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 05:24 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,913,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH!Lonesome View Post
Yes but remember, El Paso had a downtown way before Phoenix, Tucson and Albuquerque, our old buildings are still there, Henry Trost designed and they are beautiful treasures your towns dont have these kind of jewels you'll only find in Chicago or San Francisco but yes El Paso also has them.
and they speak volumes about history's past and like El Paso dominated the entire Southwest for most of the early 20th century, the Great Depression is what brought El Paso to a standstill, imagine if it got it's engines of progress rolling again, El Paso could eventually regain it's title and dominate the region again.
And El Paso should KEEP those old buildings; they are what adds character to a city. EP will build new buildings for sure, it's too large of a city for that not to happen. The old mixed with the new makes for a beautiful vista, especially with the mountain backdrop. My hometown of Tulsa has a lot of old buildings downtown and I just love the old 1920s and 30s art deco architecture. EP has some beauts downtown as well and shouldn't ever get rid of them.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:29 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,913,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Here is a great poll in this forum where you can vote for El Paso or other SW cities:

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...southwest.html
I voted for EP!

Old 01-08-2008, 06:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
So El Paso is great because of the weather. Thats the best thing.. that says something about El Paso dont you think.
Well -- maybe weather is the great thing -- but you can't take away the mountain. Lubbock, Odessa for example probably has some advantages we don't have but they are flat. And the river and valleys.

The pay and jobs aren't the best -- not likely what keeps most of us here, although some places of employment are certainly adequate here. If you took away the great weather and say it often hit 115 here, how many of us would stay, or if it was completely flat with no river -- then how many of us would still stay?

There are other factors too -- like if the crime became a lot worse -- then would we stay -- everything else being the same? Some people stay because of families that want to stay -- but what would make them decide to leave?

Old 01-08-2008, 07:30 PM

16 posts, read 209,432 times
Default El Paso is beautiful

El Paso is a beautiful city.
As you drive into the city limits from Interstate 10 East you see tumble weeds rolling along the freeway, dried up cactus, and dry sand. Your lips
began to dry up and wither like old prunes. Your body starts to feel like lizard skin. Bring plenty of lip balm and lotion, you will need them.
As you look towards down town, you will notice a brown cloud hovering with no plans to move along. I think they call that pollution. On your right side notice what's left of the so called Franklin Mountains. The city has viciously
chumped into those hills they call mountains. Now look to your left. Ah, the Rio Grand, with its spectacular muddy, polluted, and putrid waters. Now that's a site to see! Look further south and you will see the great city of Juarez. With it's decrepit slums along the Rio Grand and home to who knows
how many gangs, this city is worth visiting.
By now I am pretty sure you have made a u-turn and are heading back east toward San Antonio, Dallas, Austin, or Houston!
But El Paso is a beautiful city.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:55 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitano54 View Post
As you drive into the city limits from Interstate 10 East you see tumble weeds rolling along the freeway, dried up cactus, and dry sand. Your lips
began to dry up and wither like old prunes. Your body starts to feel like lizard skin. Bring plenty of lip balm and lotion, you will need them.
As you look towards down town, you will notice a brown cloud hovering with no plans to move along. I think they call that pollution. On your right side notice what's left of the so called Franklin Mountains. The city has viciously
chumped into those hills they call mountains. Now look to your left. Ah, the Rio Grand, with its spectacular muddy, polluted, and putrid waters. Now that's a site to see! Look further south and you will see the great city of Juarez. With it's decrepit slums along the Rio Grand and home to who knows
By now I am pretty sure you have made a u-turn and are heading back east toward San Antonio, Dallas, Austin, or Houston!
That's very funny! It's true --- you can imagine being in some John Wayne kind of Western riding into some dusty border town.

I remember reading how in the old Westerns it was important to get the cloud of dust to get the right image and effect. You can get that here. It's very nice actually.

And there's nothing like a cold iced tea when your lips have dried up like prunes -- and no where does a cold beer taste as good as it does on a hot dry summer day in El Paso.

You take a shower on a hot day in El Paso and you feel great for quite a while unlike other places where it just makes you hotter and stickier.

And even when it hits 100 degrees, it usually isn't until after noon and it's already going to be cooling off by 4 pm. There's something about an El Paso summer night when the air is cooling but you can feel the heat radiating up and from the rocks and concretes.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:04 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitano54 View Post
Well i don't live in El Paso or the surrounding area so not a local here but......Austin is the most god forsaken HOT and HUMID city in America. They should have named it SAUNA instead of Austin. Ever go camping in austin??? Think of taking your sleeping bag in a Steam Sauna at the YMCA and trying to sleep in that. It's so damn HUMID there even the Skeeters from North Florida and South Georgia swamps wouldn't survive there. I mean you have to go 600 miles to the west to get sweat relief of the high altitudes of the Rockies.

Here's the best part......go over to the austin threads as there are some great pro austin threads like ''Please give me 10 reasons why not to move to austin'' with it's depressing 550 posts or the other thread titled ''Anyone move to austin and hate it'' with over 100 postings. In fact i may cancel moving back home to Florida after you reminded me about how HOT and HUMID austin is in the United States.

We do have one thing in common and that is you hate ugly EP and i hate HOT and HUMID SAUNA i mean austin.

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 01-08-2008 at 08:28 PM..

Old 01-08-2008, 08:34 PM

My guess is you live in Juarez.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:35 PM

Or maybe Sara Goza.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:41 PM

Anyway, I live in a modest 3,800 sq. ft. home with refrigerated AC. overlooking lake
Travis. Where do you live? Hopefully not in a tent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso