Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 2,112 times

Advertisements

I lived in El Paso for over 30 years. If your favorite color is brown, then this is the place for you. The desert, away from the developed areas, is nice for a hike every now and then.

After all the many years there, I finally found the BEST view of El Paso:
from my rear-view mirror as I was moving out of town...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 01:02 PM

7 posts, read 13,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b 1 View Post
Sorry, it IS ugly, dirty, depressing. And I'm not the only one who has said it.The closer one gets to the border, the more it looks like Mexico, ugly, dirty, depressing.
I'm definitely not a city guy, but I have spent a good bit of time in El Paso and don't think it's ugly, dirty or depressing. And the landscape within 100-150 miles of the city turns out to be incredibly varied for anyone who just buys into the stereotypes. Desert, prairies, mountains and some mountain woodlands can all be found in that region.

I miss West Texas, and I have been mulling over moving back to the big bend "metro" area (Alpine/Marfa among other places farther east) for some time now. But wanting to live in a place like El Paso is something I think one needs to get a true hands/eyes on opinion of. It's a unique city in a unique region, and it's not for everyone.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:27 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc-10 View Post
I lived in El Paso for over 30 years. If your favorite color is brown, then this is the place for you. The desert, away from the developed areas, is nice for a hike every now and then.

After all the many years there, I finally found the BEST view of El Paso:
from my rear-view mirror as I was moving out of town...
You have to like blue too - because the big sky here is blue most of the time. And at dusk half the sky turns red and purple and the mountains turn purple and red. I think I do like the various shades of brown - they go well with the deep blue sky, what I don't like is grey - grey skies are depressing and we rarely have grey skies.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:04 PM

147 posts, read 310,922 times
El Paso is not pretty.
Deserts are clean.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:18 AM

730 posts, read 1,896,004 times
Well, parts of California are not all beaches, Disneyland and redwood forest either. All metro areas have their good, bad and ugly.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:12 PM

44 posts, read 91,716 times
Folks I am still of the opinion that El Paso is safe compared to other cities of the same size and population. I certainly agree that Tucson is a cess pool compared to El Paso. The city of South, Tucson is the most decrepit, sleazy part of Tucson. The rest of Tucson is quite pleasant of course any area that has $400,000+ homes are areas that anyone would like to live regardless of city. As for the stupid bars (wrought Iron) on the windows in my opinion that is the culture of the Mexicans that move here fron Juarez. The less they own the more they think must be protected from others. Sadly they have no concept of what a theft insurance policy can do for peace of mind. Just recently the most tragic passing of an entire family was due to the stupid bars on their home that prevented them to escape a home fire. Lack of smoke alarms and the bars on windows wiped out this family. A city ordinance prohbiting these death traps should be enacted and strongly enforced. As anyone that has tried to contact code violations to city and county officials one knows thay are totally incompetent in performing their duties.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:46 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,603,690 times
El Paso is a beautiful city IMO.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:58 PM

756 posts, read 2,000,224 times
El Paso is not pretty. 3 years later I still get not enjoyment out of looking at it. It is dirty in ugly....Do not get me wrong most of that is do to people throwing out trash on the roads.....it is just a bear looking city...

Old 02-22-2011, 06:44 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
El Paso is not pretty. 3 years later I still get not enjoyment out of looking at it. It is dirty in ugly....Do not get me wrong most of that is do to people throwing out trash on the roads.....it is just a bear looking city...
I had to drive around today - I noticed a whole lot of trash along the roads. That's pretty bad because it ruins otherwise very nice scenery. You can look out and see mountains close up and way off in the distance but the trash is an eyesore.

Also many of the older buildings and homes just need someone to bother to paint them and fix them up a bit but they sit there shabby.

Sunset Heights really looks nice however - many of the stately old homes have been given their facelifts. Some houses on Montana also.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:04 AM

158 posts, read 471,801 times
To me El Paso is pretty. In fact it is the most beautiful place I have lived in the world and I dearly miss being able to sit out back of my home in EP with a cup of java and watch the dawn break while looking at the franklin Mnts.

I've lived in a lot of places around the world but nothing beats that view from the lookout in the Franklin Mnts at night looking out over east EP/Juarez.

I did see brown but once my eyes adjusted I saw the subtle colors that make up the desert. I'm in a place right now that is so lush it's almost too much---like a sensory overload.

I think it all has to do with which area speaks to your heart and soul. I wasn't born in TX and I lived in another part of TX for almost a decade before we made it over to EP. But when we drove into EP and it was like I had been waiting to let my breath go for decades. I felt immediatly at ease. The first person I saw smiled at me and spoke to me in Spanish. (I don't speak spanish LOL) but that smile let me know that I was finally home.

I adore El Paso. I miss it very much and I hope and pray that we will be able to come back there and live for the rest of our lives. That would make me very happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso