Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 04:00 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,217,616 times

Advertisements

Ok, ok, people always knock El Paso because theirs no jobs, theirs a lack of good paying jobs, but i beleive their was an article on the EL Paso Times claiming their was a multiple amount of millionaires in the city. My question is,what do these people do for a living? Theirs humungous houses in the west side, huge houses by Monwood high, what do these people do, i have always wondered........

2.1% of EP households are millionaires (http://www.claritas.com/claritas/Default.jsp?ci=5&si=1&pn=artelpasotimes_0107 - broken link)
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 04:42 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
They have a factory over in Mexico where they pay slave wages and earn their millions on the free trade. Or they are retired here from other places like California.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:10 PM

639 posts, read 1,043,393 times
The only El Paso millionairs I ever knew or met was Jay Arms and one of Felipe Durans siblings, other than that I did'nt think El Paso had that many, 6000+ millionairs and one billionair. not bad.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:28 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
They have a factory over in Mexico where they pay slave wages and earn their millions on the free trade. Or they are retired here from other places like California.
Probably some of those "other" kinds of businesses over in Mexico too. Other than physicians and school administrators, I'm not sure who makes that kind of money.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:00 PM

93 posts, read 309,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
Ok, ok, people always knock El Paso because theirs no jobs, theirs a lack of good paying jobs, but i beleive their was an article on the EL Paso Times claiming their was a multiple amount of millionaires in the city. My question is,what do these people do for a living? Theirs humungous houses in the west side, huge houses by Monwood high, what do these people do, i have always wondered........

2.1% of EP households are millionaires (http://www.claritas.com/claritas/Default.jsp?ci=5&si=1&pn=artelpasotimes_0107 - broken link)
Why are we surprised? I dont' think it's that difficult for a person to accumulate 1M in liquid assets. I mean it is difficult, but not that out of the ordinary anymore. I know quite a few very young people who have made their fortunes in the financial stock and commodity markets. Once they make enough, they usually buy homes here and there, but still make their main place of residence in a financial center, either NYC, Chicago, or San Francisco. I personnally know at least 10 people under 30 or early 30's who are millionaires and have bought homes in their original hometowns. I'm not surprised at all.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:28 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post

Not sure what they do now, but simply put, for most, the root of success is a quality education beyond high school, that's for sure.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 05-07-2008 at 02:19 PM..

Old 05-07-2008, 04:12 PM

105 posts, read 494,020 times
Some people who are "millionaires" get that money through slow savings and investment over several decades (i.e., 401(k), IRA, etc.).

As far as the "uber-rich" here in EP, here's how some do it: hire cheap labor in El Paso, dramatically underpay the workers because you know they can't go anywhere else--despite their education or work experience--surround yourself with a handful of pals and family members, then increase your salary yearly and cash in piles of stock options at least once a year. Easy!

Old 05-07-2008, 04:17 PM

507 posts, read 2,061,545 times
Hook-Bro-Up is right. I would suspect most graduated high school, went to college, maybe grad or professional school, took some risk, worked hard, sacrificed, and invested/spent prudently. Either that or they ran for public office, which I heard pays well if one is connected.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:00 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Not sure what they do now, but simply put, for most, the root of success is a quality education beyond high school, that's for sure.
BULL CRAP!

Most millionaires never made it past the 9th grade. Ross Perot as an example.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:36 AM

385 posts, read 1,555,723 times
Ross Perot first off is a billionaire. Millionaires are not that uncommon today, even in El Paso. This is probably true in part because a million dollars today is not what it was even 10 years ago. Also, there was the largest transference of wealth in our history that is still taking place-money from people passing in their eighties, etc. to people in the sixties or the baby boomers. Most of the money that was accumulated by people in their eighties, etc. is from asset sales. They were able to purchase homes at very low amounts, they kept them, and when they passed, their beneficiaries sold the assets which often were in the millions (depending on their location of course).

Read The Millionaire Next Door-interesting little book and it has some statistics about the demographic of millionaires in todays world. I think that most millionaires (no matter how they got their money) statistically are college graduates. Most of them, as I recall, actually never had what most would consider high paying jobs. It isn't about how much you earn as much as its about how much you retain of your earnings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso