Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 08:15 PM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times

Advertisements

Today is my last day out of 4 here. It’s just too fast paced for me for me here. Getting from here to there was a chore. I10 driving makes me nervous, there are just too many reckless tailgaters and speeding here, I mean no disrespect to EP locals. Coming from Seattle I am used to much slower pace of driving.

Texas freeways are no joke.

I have been to Albuquerque 3 times and I think that is the place for retirement. It’s slower, easier to get around and more scenic. It’s worth the extra housing costs and taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 08:24 PM

89 posts, read 107,204 times
There are 2 very different cultures of driving here. That definitely does make it different than most USA cities. I had no issues adjusting moving from Wisconsin three years ago. But it does require more defensive driving. And the pedestrian rules are different from Juarez also. Most Juarenese know the difference and most Gringos know the difference in Juarez but it's still a challenge.

Best of luck wherever you end up.

Old 04-17-2021, 07:22 AM

109 posts, read 71,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Today is my last day out of 4 here. It’s just too fast paced for me for me here. Getting from here to there was a chore. I10 driving makes me nervous, there are just too many reckless tailgaters and speeding here, I mean no disrespect to EP locals. Coming from Seattle I am used to much slower pace of driving.

Texas freeways are no joke.

I have been to Albuquerque 3 times and I think that is the place for retirement. It’s slower, easier to get around and more scenic. It’s worth the extra housing costs and taxes.
Never drive in Houston if you ever go haha

Old 04-18-2021, 08:34 AM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
My weariness from driving is the I10 exit and entry points, the freeway entry points at least in the city core is too short and the exit points leads right to Gateway East or West where you have to really drive defensive as you merge quickly into zooming drivers on road where speed limits are a mere suggestion.

Rest of the city is not that horrible as I made it to be. Bad but not I10 which I tried to avoid and take the local route.

Last edited by 87112; 04-18-2021 at 09:16 AM..

Old 04-18-2021, 08:57 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,031,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
My weariness from driving is the I90 exit and entry points, the freeway entry points at least in the city core is too short and the exit points leads right to Gateway East or West where you have to really drive defensive as you merge quickly into zooming drivers on road where speed limits are a mere suggestion.

Rest of the city is not that horrible as I made it to be. Bad but not I10 which I tried to avoid and take the local route.
I hope Albuquerque is more to your liking. It´s very beautiful there. FYI there is a much larger Asian community there as well. I think the dominant group is Vietnamese.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:45 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
Albq, lots of crime and car theft, burglary careful where you choose to live It is a much better city to live in than EL Paso. Albq Has 4 district seasons and is not quite as hot as El Paso although it is at a higher elevation so it is a different t kind of hot. It is more diverse also. El Paso is really 85 -90 % Hispanic. someone mentioned the driving culture in El Paso, yep it is crazy, you will constantly see a car with its emergency flashers ongoing 45 in the right lane on I-10 and also two people racing weaving in and out of traffic, along with commuters tailgating each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso