Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 01:49 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,218 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

This isn't my first time writing about El Paso, but I finally had the chance to visit this week. Wow! I was seriously impressed with the place. I had the chance to drive all over, and with the exception of maybe the Devil's Triangle, everywhere struck me as safe, clean, organized and very liveable. People seem to be down on the Lower Valley, but driving around both Riverside as well as Bel Air high schools I found some pretty nice areas overall. I definitely need to go back, and I won't make the mistake of booking a hotel on the Eastside i-10 area again. Nothing against that part of town, but I was more interested in seeing the more central parts of the city, so I was constantly jumping back on the interstate anytime I wanted to see something. Next time I'll stay downtown.

I think I was most interested in the Manhattan Heights area, as well as the more humble area between Alabama, Dyer and all the way up to Fred Wilson. I believe that would be called Morningside Heights? Really digging all the Spanish/Mexican/adobe-style houses in that area. There or around UTEP would probably be my picks on where to buy a house. The NE also seemed fine, just maybe less walkable and more suburban than further south. What I saw of the Westside (Mesa near i-10) also looked amazing, albeit more expensive.

Perhaps the only thing that concerned me about the city was the massive refinery complex that sits in a fairly centralized location. I have no idea how close some houses are to it, as I only got as close to it as driving on i-10 and the Cesar Chávez Hwy on the border. I can't imagine very prime real estate existing very close by. Hopefully no one has to live right next to it, and no incidents affect those who live nearby.

Any thoughts? I'm now thoroughly torn between EP and San Antonio to relocate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 03:46 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default San Antonio

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Hey everyone,

This isn't my first time writing about El Paso, but I finally had the chance to visit this week. Wow! I was seriously impressed with the place. I had the chance to drive all over, and with the exception of maybe the Devil's Triangle, everywhere struck me as safe, clean, organized and very liveable. People seem to be down on the Lower Valley, but driving around both Riverside as well as Bel Air high schools I found some pretty nice areas overall. I definitely need to go back, and I won't make the mistake of booking a hotel on the Eastside i-10 area again. Nothing against that part of town, but I was more interested in seeing the more central parts of the city, so I was constantly jumping back on the interstate anytime I wanted to see something. Next time I'll stay downtown.

I think I was most interested in the Manhattan Heights area, as well as the more humble area between Alabama, Dyer and all the way up to Fred Wilson. I believe that would be called Morningside Heights? Really digging all the Spanish/Mexican/adobe-style houses in that area. There or around UTEP would probably be my picks on where to buy a house. The NE also seemed fine, just maybe less walkable and more suburban than further south. What I saw of the Westside (Mesa near i-10) also looked amazing, albeit more expensive.

Perhaps the only thing that concerned me about the city was the massive refinery complex that sits in a fairly centralized location. I have no idea how close some houses are to it, as I only got as close to it as driving on i-10 and the Cesar Chávez Hwy on the border. I can't imagine very prime real estate existing very close by. Hopefully no one has to live right next to it, and no incidents affect those who live nearby.

Any thoughts? I'm now thoroughly torn between EP and San Antonio to relocate.
It is best to actually live there for a while, if possible, just rent for a few months. Some love it, some not so much. It is different when you live somewhere vs. just visiting. If that is not possible, then I would suggest San Antonio. More to do in San Antonio, and the surrounding areas. Closer to lakes and rivers, and not too far from the Gulf shores of Texas. Shopping, airports, etc. Plus lots of cool places in the hill country, Austin, San Marcos, Frederiskburg, and on and on. There are some places close to El Paso that are green, but just a few. El Paso is very isolated from the rest of Texas. Summers are very hot, and dusty. 'Not saying anything about the people, they are great. 'Just that a lot of those who will say otherwise have never experienced living anywhere but El Paso their whole lives. Visiting is one thing, as I said. Good luck, let us know what you decide in the end.

Old 03-27-2021, 09:39 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,945,273 times
I am going to see El Paso next month to see if its a place I want to relocate soon. What is not so great about the Eastside - i10?

Old 03-27-2021, 10:57 AM

89 posts, read 107,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I am going to see El Paso next month to see if its a place I want to relocate soon. What is not so great about the Eastside - i10?
There are things everyone would like and not like about east side...and the same is true for all the other areas. I prefer living downtown opposed to any other areas. The east side is a huge commerce area. The dining scene is VERY busy. That and other things makes for high traffic. But like other areas you have a wide choice of living areas from not so attractive apartment living to very nice houses, apartments and condos.

Old 03-27-2021, 12:15 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default Nice old homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedWarm View Post
There are things everyone would like and not like about east side...and the same is true for all the other areas. I prefer living downtown opposed to any other areas. The east side is a huge commerce area. The dining scene is VERY busy. That and other things makes for high traffic. But like other areas you have a wide choice of living areas from not so attractive apartment living to very nice houses, apartments and condos.
The Sunset Heights areas, and a little more to the East were always nice areas, for me anyway. I like the old architecture. There are/were many nice Arts & Crafts/Craftsman style homes in the area, just beautiful.

I grew up in El Paso, and though I never had an inclination to return, I did want to purchase one of those nice old Craftsman homes on Montana near downtown, and then have my mother live in it, and brother if he wanted. But my wife talked me out of it. It was too bad, it was nice original unpainted wood trim on the inside, stained glass everywhere, even an original 1920's pool, and a beautiful wood staircase, and like 8 ft wide hallway upstairs.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:09 AM

35 posts, read 35,543 times
I just moved back to El Paso. Generally speaking, people here are so much friendlier than where I came from (Austin). San Antonio will definitely pay a lot more. You should research the job market in El Paso. As far as IT goes it's a very tough place to find a decent paying job.-I can't stress that enough. I can't tell you anything about other professions. But, if you are looking for a city that's not overcrowded, where it's easy to get around and has some of the best weather around, El Paso is a good start.

Old 03-31-2021, 04:23 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve9229 View Post
I just moved back to El Paso. Generally speaking, people here are so much friendlier than where I came from (Austin). San Antonio will definitely pay a lot more. You should research the job market in El Paso. As far as IT goes it's a very tough place to find a decent paying job.-I can't stress that enough. I can't tell you anything about other professions. But, if you are looking for a city that's not overcrowded, where it's easy to get around and has some of the best weather around, El Paso is a good start.
So my wife and I are teachers, and El Paso-area ISDs seem to pay more or less what ISDs in San Antonio do, give or take maybe only $1,000 a year or so. It´s a huge plus I think for El Paso, given that houses are still cheaper than San Antonio, for now anyway.

I have three doubts, and three doubts only, in my mind:

1.) The location. It is obviously very isolated from most of the rest of Texas. Our road trips there would more than likely involve NM, AZ, CO, Puerto Peñasco and California more than San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Houston and the like. Either EP and San Antonio are going to be inconvenient to visit my nieces and nephews on the East Coast, so that´s kind of a wash.

2.) I mentioned those massive refineries earlier. I´ve pretty much figured out where they are on the map, and I don´t think I´d live closer than a mile to them. Other than that, I don´t see it as an issue. Most Texas cities are industrial in some fashion.

3.) I am bilingual, but my wife is still learning English. San Antonio is full of Spanish speakers, but there seems to be a nice balance of English as well. I´m not sure if you can say the same about El Paso. Sure, most everyone speaks English, but my wife may find it harder when they see her physical features and hear her accent to let her speak it. I´m an Anglo, gringo, whatever you want to say, so I have the choice of choosing to reveal that I am bilingual or not.

It´s gonna be a hard decision, but I appreciate all the feedback in the meantime!

Old 03-31-2021, 04:43 PM

89 posts, read 107,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
So my wife and I are teachers, and El Paso-area ISDs seem to pay more or less what ISDs in San Antonio do, give or take maybe only $1,000 a year or so. It´s a huge plus I think for El Paso, given that houses are still cheaper than San Antonio, for now anyway.

I have three doubts, and three doubts only, in my mind:

1.) The location. It is obviously very isolated from most of the rest of Texas. Our road trips there would more than likely involve NM, AZ, CO, Puerto Peñasco and California more than San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Houston and the like. Either EP and San Antonio are going to be inconvenient to visit my nieces and nephews on the East Coast, so that´s kind of a wash.

2.) I mentioned those massive refineries earlier. I´ve pretty much figured out where they are on the map, and I don´t think I´d live closer than a mile to them. Other than that, I don´t see it as an issue. Most Texas cities are industrial in some fashion.

3.) I am bilingual, but my wife is still learning English. San Antonio is full of Spanish speakers, but there seems to be a nice balance of English as well. I´m not sure if you can say the same about El Paso. Sure, most everyone speaks English, but my wife may find it harder when they see her physical features and hear her accent to let her speak it. I´m an Anglo, gringo, whatever you want to say, so I have the choice of choosing to reveal that I am bilingual or not.

It´s gonna be a hard decision, but I appreciate all the feedback in the meantime!
El Paso engish/espanol is the same as San Diego. Nothing to worry about. Your concern about your wife is ridiculous.

Being that you are both teachers you'll have the entire city to choose your housing and it is wayyyyyyy more affordable than SA and it always will be. However property taxes are higher. EP is in the perfect location for trips to San Diego, Vegas, Colorado and yes even Rocky Point (Penasco).

Old 04-01-2021, 06:32 PM

109 posts, read 71,131 times
Given your situation I'd go with El Paso it has more authentic mexican/Latin american culture than San Antonio and if you don't really care to be near the other Texas cities than even more to it's favor.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:56 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,945,273 times
Why part of El Paso is best for someone who 1st desire in a neighborhood is lot of taco trucks and Chinese take out and maybe a Chinese grocery store. I am Chinese from Seattle wanting to relocate there, I will be there mid April for 3 full days to see what part of EP is for me. I will be semi retired and don't care for strip mall food chains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso