Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 03:08 PM

4 posts, read 20,015 times

Advertisements

I am an African American female and my boyfriend is Mexican and we are moving to Juarez next week. While I am waiting for my boyfriend's immigration appointment (renewing an expired visa), I have decided to find work in El Paso. I dont speak any Spanish (understand a little). (Bachelors degree in Socioloy and Laboratory experience). Does anybody know what the job market is like for someone like me.

Also, does anyone have info. on public transportation. I dont have a car.

Last edited by luv2move; 06-28-2008 at 03:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 04:01 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2move View Post
I am an African American female and my boyfriend is Mexican and we are moving to Juarez next week. While I am waiting for my boyfriend's immigration appointment (renewing an expired visa), I have decided to find work in El Paso. I don't speak any Spanish (understand a little). (Bachelors degree in Sociology and Laboratory experience). Does anybody know what the job market is like for someone like me.

Also, does anyone have info. on public transportation. I don't have a car.
I am sorry. I hope you survive living in Ja'zoo. Guess Love can make people do the dumbest things.

Public Transportation here sucks bad. Living in Juarez and no Spanish.. your gluten for punishment.

I am sure you'll find something here in that field.. expect less pay here than you would in the rest of the country. I would suggest you live in El Paso, and have him make visits.. in my opinion your making a big mistake.. but its your life, and the best lessons are ones learned from mistakes. That is if you live though the mistake to learn something. So good luck to you.. buy a bullet proof vest.. Juarez is a very dangerous place right now.. even more so if your boyfriend is cartel connected. Lot of chances your taking for just a boyfriend..

Old 06-28-2008, 11:22 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2move View Post
I am an African American female and my boyfriend is Mexican and we are moving to Juarez next week. While I am waiting for my boyfriend's immigration appointment (renewing an expired visa), I have decided to find work in El Paso. I dont speak any Spanish (understand a little). (Bachelors degree in Socioloy and Laboratory experience). Does anybody know what the job market is like for someone like me.

Also, does anyone have info. on public transportation. I dont have a car.

wow, you are a very brave lady thats all I got to say, public transportation is not all that good and I would be scared to drive on the streets in Mexico and the lines into the border are long.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:18 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
Look Dont do it..

Border Patrol chief: Cartel war likely to last - Newspaper Tree El Paso

Old 06-29-2008, 12:21 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Considering the massive crime problem in Juarez, I agree with Muhnay and desert sun. Juarez is a dangerous place, just read the article Muhnay provided. Best of luck to you and your boyfriend luv2move.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:58 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
This post sounds bogus to me. Nothing adds up here, sounds like the OP is just pushing buttons. That, or she's been shamed into not responding.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:58 PM

254 posts, read 790,144 times
What love would do. I agree w/Muhnay, have him visit and live in El Paso. Public transportation is bad if not reliable in El Paso. Yeah, buy a bullet proof vest as well, as Muhnay said. Better be safe than sorry. Good luck luv2move! Hope it works for you!

Old 06-29-2008, 11:05 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
it has to be bogus cause I cant believe anyone would want to relocate to Juarez, I guess they wanna gamble with their lives.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:01 AM

4 posts, read 20,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
it has to be bogus cause I cant believe anyone would want to relocate to Juarez, I guess they wanna gamble with their lives.
It is not bogus and yes we are probably gambling with our lives, but we only have each other to rely on, and like I mentioned before, he can not cross into the US legally until his appointment goes through.

I am sorry to hear that the crime is so bad in Juarez and public transportation in El Paso is not good, but does anybody have any positive info for me?....this is very discouraging because we have to move....no choice.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:55 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
Luv2move,

'Sorry for the negative news, but this is reality and it's no joke. This is the reason you have received the replies you have to date, including mine in which I could not believe someone would seriously do this.

In any case, I detect a hint of desperation here. You say you have no choice? Really? Is the mob after you? I do question why anyone would gamble their life for a boyfriend (or girlfriend).

Lastly, why El Paso?

Now for the positive news... you might try teaching, teachers are always in demand and you can pursue your teaching degree while working as a sub.

Regards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso