Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 09:01 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,973,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Muhnay--- I think you have a good idea about the lighting, I would like to see that-- you should mention that to someone there.
You get me a contact number and I am on da' Phone pitching it.. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 06:41 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,530,903 times
Jim Scherr is in the phone book - you have ideas call him. I doubt he has time to read these sites.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:06 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,227,404 times
oright muhnay, it was both our ideas ok, so if it happens both our names are going up in infamy ok! lol

Old 09-30-2008, 12:44 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,973,338 times
Just to let everyone know, I sent a message to: Thomas Wingham - Doubletree Hotels on the lights idea.. I also linked him to this thread and asked that he take a look at this thread. I wanted him to know that we are very excited about this project and that we support anyone wanting to make El Paso Better. I also wanted to point out that by acting on this idea he would show support in El Paso, and our local college sports teams. El Pasoans are a proud people. It would only benefit him to act on this idea.. it would show support, while at the same time adding much needed color to that part of town, and draw people off the road in to stay. So lets hope the word trickles down or up to whom needs to know and take action.. cross your fingers folks. If were lucky we will see orange and blue lights downtown real soon.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:46 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,227,404 times
good job muhnay, actions speak louder than words, hopefully it will happen!

Old 09-30-2008, 07:51 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,996,205 times
Colored buildings are Awesome, that would be nice to see Some in El Paso!!
Here are some in Albuquerque:

Old 02-26-2009, 03:33 PM

5 posts, read 13,307 times
Neon lights would be AWESOME!!! But most El Pasoans in power are very backwards about ideas like that...hopefully he'll be open to it.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:47 PM

5 posts, read 13,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncityguy View Post
Neon lights would be AWESOME!!! But most El Pasoans in power are very backwards about ideas like that...hopefully he'll be open to it.
For example....my friend at TXDOT told me someone had the idea to light up the spaghetti bowl with neon striping along the sides of the rails (under so that cars couldln't break tubing if they hit the rail), and the older men AND some involved residents OBJECTED to the waste of money.

First of all, you HAVE to spruce things up if you want to be a better city...and second of all...they were gonna use fiber optics lighting so the cost of power would have been about $30/year!!!! YES! they new about that...but the small group of concerned citizens shot the whole thing down....so the younger engineers had no recourse in the eyes of their superiors.....thus...Idea DEAD.

More people like us need to get involved!

It also happened with an ex designer TXDOT had some years ago...he wanted to turn El Paso into the next Miami by using tinted cement in our highways/freeways etc. to give our city a more exotic/Spanish/Mexican influenced look....something subtle but different...and that was shot down immediately because they said it would be too distracting for drivers. I think it was gonna be like a light reddish brown color instead of the gray we all know. I just find all this fascinating! Even Tucson (which is much smaller than our area) is starting to pass us!

Old 02-26-2009, 04:26 PM

730 posts, read 1,898,333 times
Don't we have neon along the freeway? Or is that gone? If still there, at least the precedent is set. Also, heard a rumor about Cafe Central relocating to the top of the hotel? Does that sound right to anyone?

Old 02-26-2009, 04:52 PM

247 posts, read 605,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltep View Post
Don't we have neon along the freeway? Or is that gone? If still there, at least the precedent is set. Also, heard a rumor about Cafe Central relocating to the top of the hotel? Does that sound right to anyone?
Yeah we've had them for at least 7 or 8 years but for a long time now they've been turned off. Our downtown needs to be better lit at night. I have noticed some of the Hotel signs and buildings being lit up more. Maybe the sides of some of the buildings could add some nice neon colors around them.That would help downtown stand out a little more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso