Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 10:11 AM

272 posts, read 1,064,225 times

Advertisements

Council OKs tax zone to raise $70 million for $1 billion transportation plan, but $322 million local share goes unsaid - Newspaper Tree El Paso
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 10:22 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,660,467 times
LOL .....and the vote was 6-1 with represenative Castro voting no .

Old 01-28-2009, 12:47 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,148,056 times
Hey, at least she is consistent!

LOL.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:44 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,296,181 times
Default Good for her...

She's elected to represent her constituents; if she meets with them, and the majority say 'we don't want a new tax', then her obligation is to vote for what her constituents wish. Also, why vote in a new tax that will never go away? They never do.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:03 AM

270 posts, read 627,633 times
Hook I dont live in her district but you are right. She is there to represent the district not her personal issues or the Mayor, like some of the other council members do. You have one that always ignores the findings of the very boards she votes to appoint to study the issues.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:46 PM

Default Good for those running against her

I'm glad that several citizens of the northeast are running against her as they along with others from the district are unsatisfied with her support of the district on the city council.

She voted against flood improvements on Fairbanks avenue as that made the local tv news interviewing folks upset with that. She voted against helping an auto manufacturer locate to 200 acres in the northeast as the district and el paso need high wage employment. Dyer st and also northpark mall redevelopement hasn't improved under her leadership.

Nothing against her personally as i'm sure she's good people ....but many in this district are unhappy with her and have every right to express that.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:47 AM

6 ft, I dont live in Ms. Catros's district. From what I have read there are only two opponents and from what I am told, they are not strong opponents. Pretty much the council can expect to get re-elected My opinion is that she is representing the district desires and can expect to keep the seat. I feel that she has voted correctly on a lot of the issues and if I lived in her district I would vote for her. She certainly is much better than my rep that just SITS there and seconds everything that Byrd proposes and makes no input to the discussions. I would welcome a view, from her that conflicts with mine, at least I would know she is trying. I would gladly trade my rep for yours.

One point, if the automakers and sales are in a terrible slump that will take yrs to recover, isnt now the wrong time to bring that plant here. Also until we get fair wages for El Paso workers, you cant expect any real progress. Putting up buildings and building roads just to be building is not progress. Bridge to nowhere, ring a bell? I want EP to grow but let's do it wisely. You are absolutely right the people have every right to challenge Ms. Castro.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luplor View Post
6 ft, I dont live in Ms. Catros's district. From what I have read there are only two opponents and from what I am told, they are not strong opponents. Pretty much the council can expect to get re-elected My opinion is that she is representing the district desires and can expect to keep the seat. I feel that she has voted correctly on a lot of the issues and if I lived in her district I would vote for her. She certainly is much better than my rep that just SITS there and seconds everything that Byrd proposes and makes no input to the discussions. I would welcome a view, from her that conflicts with mine, at least I would know she is trying. I would gladly trade my rep for yours.

One point, if the automakers and sales are in a terrible slump that will take yrs to recover, isnt now the wrong time to bring that plant here. Also until we get fair wages for El Paso workers, you cant expect any real progress. Putting up buildings and building roads just to be building is not progress. Bridge to nowhere, ring a bell? I want EP to grow but let's do it wisely. You are absolutely right the people have every right to challenge Ms. Castro.
Well i disagree as i do believe basic infrastructure is important and is a needed progress. Who else to lookout for the local citizens than it's local government. I'm sorry you disagree but flooding is a concern to many when you have the summer monsoon rains coming off the mountain. So are having decient roads and parks and upgrades that a growing city needs to do every xx amount of years or fall by the wayside.

I'm glad someone had the vision in in 1963 to build the Sun Bowl and the vision in the late 1970's to build the Patriot freeway and the vision to built Cohen stadium in the early 90's etc..

That's o.k. we disagree as nothing wrong with that .

Old 02-01-2009, 11:38 AM

6ft, by the way, are you really 6 ft is that just a nick name? Anyway, I am really suerprised a city would be built without drains or maintained them. That definitely needs to be improved. However, I believe it should be done in stages, prioritzing. Highway and stadium are good. I lived in large concrete jungles and would hate to see the same happen here. What open space we have and uniquness would be nice to keep. I believe at some point cities like EP will be a place that people will want to see because it will not be a concrete and skyscaper city like all the rest. Iwould to see a well panned growth without overdevelopement and at a reasonable rate to keep costs/taxes reasonable. I think we both want the thing, growth, just have different ways of getting there.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:23 AM

272 posts, read 1,064,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luplor View Post
6ft, by the way, are you really 6 ft is that just a nick name? Anyway, I am really suerprised a city would be built without drains or maintained them. That definitely needs to be improved. However, I believe it should be done in stages, prioritzing. Highway and stadium are good. I lived in large concrete jungles and would hate to see the same happen here. What open space we have and uniquness would be nice to keep. I believe at some point cities like EP will be a place that people will want to see because it will not be a concrete and skyscaper city like all the rest. Iwould to see a well panned growth without overdevelopement and at a reasonable rate to keep costs/taxes reasonable. I think we both want the thing, growth, just have different ways of getting there.
LOL! I am glad someone else asked the question for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso