Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 01:37 PM

430 posts, read 1,340,118 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't worry too much. I lived here for over 30 years and only had my house broken into twice. And one time it was a friend of mine who did it.
Horizonite brought up the income issue but I don't think that is the factor. El Paso is bigger than Horizon. And Horizon is growing...alot. But they have their problems too. Maybe not as much as the rest of El Paso, but again....we are bigger and have more people. According to a city search it stated that as of 2007 El paso had a population of 586,392 while Horizon had a population of 10,709. It also stated that Horizon had a higher unemployment rate than the average of Texas. But then again....Horizon has been doing some major growing and some state that the outlook looks great.
I don't know. I think all-in-all, you'll be fine here. Just lock your doors and don't leave your keys in the car. Do people really crack open their garages?

I still believe that the Horizon FD should be paid though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 01:49 PM

479 posts, read 1,294,445 times
what is the Horizon FD? (sorry if thats a dumb question!) Im sure it will be fine ~ your right. Everywhere has its issues, and no where is immune.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:54 PM

Fire department. Sorry...I abbr. when I'm feeling lazy.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard View Post
Fire department. Sorry...I abbr. when I'm feeling lazy.

LOL no need to be sorry Im sure I should know this stuff ~ lol thanks.......

Old 04-13-2009, 02:11 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
For me i just keep an aluminum baseball bat .

Old 04-13-2009, 02:24 PM

24 posts, read 47,938 times
Awe MrsRobinson, your getting those pre jitters now of the infamous PCS strain and worries. I was so worried and a bit scared but everyone on this forum, was really spot on with their posts. And our neighbors are awesome people, they even brought us a housewarming gift. I'm sure there is crime here, teehee, but I have to say, I still feel relatively safe here in El Paso. We have a security system and lights front and back, that I'm sure the neighbors really appreciate, LOL. Anyway, try not to worry, it'll be ok.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlissBound View Post
Awe MrsRobinson, your getting those pre jitters now of the infamous PCS strain and worries. I was so worried and a bit scared but everyone on this forum, was really spot on with their posts. And our neighbors are awesome people, they even brought us a housewarming gift. I'm sure there is crime here, teehee, but I have to say, I still feel relatively safe here in El Paso. We have a security system and lights front and back, that I'm sure the neighbors really appreciate, LOL. Anyway, try not to worry, it'll be ok.
Thanks ~ your prolly right Unfamiliar territory and all. Im just so used to feeling "safe" here in Germany. I know it will be fine ~ and the other places i've lived had higher "crime ratings" than El Paso ~ and I never felt unsafe there (tacoma washington, and sacramento, ca to name a few) PCSING is stressful hehehe. So I can't wait for it to be over and to have some of those nice BBQ's out on a summers eve that I hear about :-)

Old 04-13-2009, 03:26 PM

My parents flew here from Germany. My pops was stationed there for awhile. When they were preparing to land here my mom almost beat the crap out of my dad. She said "Where the hell did you bring me?" But that was over 30 years ago and there was pretty much nothing but desert. They both were originally from Cali. But they settled here quite nicely and my dad survived her wrath.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard View Post
My parents flew here from Germany. My pops was stationed there for awhile. When they were preparing to land here my mom almost beat the crap out of my dad. She said "Where the hell did you bring me?" But that was over 30 years ago and there was pretty much nothing but desert. They both were originally from Cali. But they settled here quite nicely and my dad survived her wrath.
LOL ~ I could see myself doing the same thing to my DH if I wasn't already prepared mentally for the desert LOL. We are both originally from California too! I love me some green, tree's, rivers and lakes, but there is also beauty in the desert. Its just a different KIND of beauty. When I need my green and rivers, then its time for family vacay to CALI

( I also have a grass yard and will pay what it costs to have my little patch of grass ~ I just have to, its not a big yard, but the thoughT of having a rock yard just made me sooo SOO sad. (NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE WITH ROCK YARDS!!!!)

My husband, well he loved it in Alamogordo ~ so I think he will like El Paso as he just loves the "slower pace" of the southwest, and the desert. I just hope I dont' cross paths with a rattle snake or scorpian lol.......

Old 04-14-2009, 09:34 AM

197 posts, read 511,656 times
A whole-house security system is more affordable than you might think. ADT in EP is popular in my neighborhood. Easy, affordable peace of mind in a compact little panel hanging on the wall. Just have to remember to set it before you go to bed or leave the house.

Dogs are awesome to have, but with a secuirty system you don't have to board it when you travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso