Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 05:50 AM

479 posts, read 1,294,653 times

Advertisements

hello. Just curious what you guys use for home protection. Do you just keep your doors locked? Do you get pets to serve as "guard dogs?" Do you have a "home security system?" Do you have guns? If you have a gun, and someone breaks into your home, are you allowed to shoot them? (that may sound like a dumb question ~ but in some states, there are very specific and limited situations where you are "allowed' to shoot an intruder)

My husband is in the military and there is always the chance that he will be gone for training or deployed ~ and for the last three years I have lived in relative "safety" on post in Germany. I feel very safe here ~ it takes an arm and a leg just to get on post, and there are very strict laws in Germany ~ not that there isn't ever any crime on post, but its pretty safe for the most part. Just wondering what I will want to do to feel safe in El Paso.

I know some will say there is a lot of crime, and some will say its the 3rd safest (or something like that) city in America (or texas?) but every town has crime, and hearing about the robbery at a carls junior on the west side yesterday morning got me to thinking about it. I know in Washington and California, there were news reports of robberies every nite, but what can I *really* expect in El paso? Horizon City? Thanks..........................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 08:40 AM

430 posts, read 1,340,118 times
Crime does happen. Can't deny that.

I have bars on my windows and three dogs. 2 out of the 3 dogs will tear the crap out of anyone coming near me and my kiddos. The other one would probaly just sit there and want some loving. Then again she is a Weimmy and they are very protective over the family..so who knows....she might attack worse than the pit mix. I also try to know my neighbors so we look out for each other.

Yes you can shoot 'em. But with our legal system now-a-days, you should do it like the puercos (sp?). Otherwise, the criminals will try to sue you.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:54 AM

thanks for the reply alucard :0) What are puercos? And, do you have bars b/c its *that* dangerous, or does it just make you feel safer, knowing you have that precaution? I am thinking about getting a dog ~ but then I know that I'll be going to Alamo alot on the weekends, and if I have a dog i can't just up and go like that. We dont' own a gun, but my husband keeps talking about wanting to get one. Anyhoo thanks for replying........

Old 04-13-2009, 09:11 AM

271 posts, read 809,951 times
mrsrobinson73
Lock your doors at night and leave porch lights on or have motion sensor lights. My guard dogs are smaller than my cat but one barks at any little noise. Not a lot of break-ins here but better safe than sorry so I keep a gun and have taught my wife how to defend the family. If you have a gun for protection be willing to use it otherwise it could be taken and used on you. You can legally protect yourself on your property in Texas. I wouldn't worry and as alucard stated get to know your neighbors and you all can watch out for each other. El Paso is safer than any place I've ever lived.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:13 AM

430 posts, read 1,340,118 times
Cops.
It's not that dangerous....I just feel safer with them. My own piece of mind. Keeps the zombies out too. (I watch way too many horror flicks).
Well, if you're gonna get one you should probaly hurry before 'someone' makes it so we don't have the right anymore.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:15 AM

507 posts, read 1,660,168 times
Make sure you lock your doors and bar your windows.
And for guns, you can legally shoot someone on your proprty if he is tresspassing, but i heard instances that the second the guy leaves ur property and you shoot him, you would be at fault.
Other than that i never really had an alarm system on unless i was out of town for more than 5 days. I just had a couple of dogs who would bark if they heard anything and would alert me to it.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:45 AM

Wow ~ ok see some say bars ~ some say bars not needed?? Ya know, comign from california, I've hard so many stories of someone breaking into someones house, and its like the bad guys have all the rights! If we were allowed to shoot someone for tresspassing on our property ~ maybe bad guys would think twice about it and there would be no need for bars!!!! grr hehee.

Im thinking a dog would prolly be a smart thing I suppose. But, then Im limited on traveling :0( Alucard, you said you have 3 dogs, what do you do when you want to go somewhere for the weekend? Or do you just not go??

As far as bars, no one in my neighborhood has any bars, so I was hoping there was no need for them. I was hoping maybe to do a security alarm and motion lights (as someone suggested)?

Also, does anyone know if Horizon City has its own police? how quickly can they be there if 911 is called?

THANKS FOR ALL THE ANSWERS I APPRECIATE IT EVERYONE!

Old 04-13-2009, 10:13 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,958,589 times
Many neighborhoods don't have bars on windows but I feel safer with then - especially since El Paso homes have no basements so windows are at ground level. If burglars have a choice of your home with bars and your neighbors without they'll go for the one without. With bars I can leave the windows open & leave the house with no worries.

It does amuse me that many people with bars leave the garage door open a crack for ventilation.

I prefer porch or flood lights to motion activated lights.

I am surprised at the number of homes I see with small pane patio doors than can easily be smashed giving access to the inside door knob. Maybe I'm just more paranoid coming from a much larger city.

You can find El Paso crime statistics by ZIP Code here: www.elpasotexas.gov - El Paso Crime Statistics By Regional Command The burglary stats would be more telling if they were per capita.
Quote:
WestSide
2008 CRIME CATEGORY
339 Assault (Agg.) 1457 Assault (Simple) 567 Auto Theft & UUMV 399 Burglary 2640 Larceny (Theft) 4 Murder 36 Rape 75 Robbery

East Side (Pebble Hills)
2008 CRIME CATEGORY
707 Assault (Agg.) 2841 Assault (Simple) 1230 Auto Theft & UUMV 691 Burglary 5675 Larceny (Theft) 5 Murder 57 Rape 127 Robbery

North East
2008 CRIME CATEGORY
411 Assault (Agg.) 1668 Assault (Simple) 246 Auto Theft & UUMV 341 Burglary 2296 Larceny (Theft) 3 Murder 39 Rape 74 Robbery

Central
2008 CRIME CATEGORY
521 Assault (Agg.) 1706 Assault (Simple) 564 Auto Theft & UUMV 357 Burglary 2266 Larceny (Theft) 1 Murder 41 Rape 134 Robbery

Mission Valley
2008 CRIME CATEGORY
277 Assault (Agg.) 1359 Assault (Simple) 331 Auto Theft & UUMV 331 Burglary 2159 Larceny (Theft) 4 Murder 38 Rape 63 Robbery

Last edited by Gary Siete; 04-13-2009 at 10:27 AM..

Old 04-13-2009, 10:27 AM

Thanks Gary Siete :-)

I wonder how Horizon City factor into those statistics? Hmm the windows at my new house have windows in their regular spot ~ not ground level. All my neighbors are the same too. And none have bars, but i can certainly see why some might chose to have them ~ just the added security. But i think its sad that they'd be needed and dont' see me getting any ~

Old 04-13-2009, 10:31 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,958,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrobinson73 View Post
Hmm the windows at my new house have windows in their regular spot ~ not ground level.
By ground level I mean 'regular' level in that you can walk up to them & look in. I'm used to homes with basements where main level windows require a ladder or a boost to reach them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso